Where are all my friends? Come on in and lets get comfy by the fire!

Hippie Bowman
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 66 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

The foreman said his crews had been working overtime for the last week, running from near crisis to near crisis.

I can believe it.  The snow banks along our streets are 6 feet high or more in many places, and all streets are covered with hard-packed snow.  We don;t have room for more.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

9 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

During a visit to Home Depot over the weekend, I watched a crew removing snow from the roof with a crane.

They've been running news articles for SW CO reminding them to shovel their roofs.  Spring a few years back, we got a few feet of yucky super wet snow that caused all sorts of roof issues around here.  This winter, almost all of our snow has been pretty wet, which is unusual for us.  Typically only super early and very late season stuff is wet, with everything from Nov through Feb being very dry powdery snow.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This winter, almost all of our snow has been pretty wet, which is unusual for us.  Typically only super early and very late season stuff is wet, with everything from Nov through Feb being very dry powdery snow.

Same here.  I love true, powdery winter snow.  It's great to get out and wander around in and beautiful to see drifting across the fields.  Spring snow is wet and yucky.  Around here, it's often called Girls Basketball snow, because it used to hit most heavily during spring break for the public schools in mid-March, when the girls' State Basketball tournament takes place. This year and last year it's been a whole month early.  The snow pack is great news for people who make a living off of winter sports, snow removal, and the like, and of course for farmers, who will need the soil moisture in the spring. It also keeps the soil from blowing away and provides protection for a lot of wee burrowing animals.  When it's this heavy, though, it can portend nasty flooding in March and April, or at least a ton of mud. Even in a good year, spring is a ghastly season, despite the daffodils and bunny rabbits.  Until then, as others have noted, it can collapse roofs and make it difficult to move around.  Beauty comes with a price.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

<Snow> also keeps the soil from blowing away and provides protection for a lot of wee burrowing animals.

Snow is a double edged sword for those wee burrowers. Under it, only the fox and the weasel have any chance of finding them. Once they climb on top, they're easy targets. I can't count the number of bunny or mouse tracks I've seen wandering across my yard, only to end abruptly amidst the imprint of angel wings.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

imageproxy.php?img=&key=e5f5edf17e7ad1aaGood morning all! Yeah it's Monday! I just realized that 8 years ago yesterday I started this thread. Many people have come and gone and many remain. I am pleased that the thread is still here and people can come and warm up in it's comfy fire. I love you all!

Peace!

images.jpeg

89078024e00c7a0aaa89987b75217324.jpg

a2ee60b1dfd7f6c817fa1c4dad172b3d.jpg

0eec9069937b8cb74c0521b5a8717d5d.jpg

Edited by Hippie Bowman
  • Like 4

Had a great start of the day, slept well, even had time for good coffee, might even have whistled a tune on my way to work.

Then had a meeting with some complete thick headed, narrow minded morons who are actually big time CEO's and other fancy ***** titles, making me wonder if there's still hope for humanity...

Anyway, happy Tuesday!

i-was-having-a-great-day-until-people-happened--9c816.png

• Like 4

It's below freezing again here in the Northeast. Last night my daughter was exclaiming how her phone charge runs down faster in the cold, and I realized I've been experiencing the same thing. 

In other news, I've been hair shopping, taking my time, going to stores I've never visited before and looking at every selection, taking demos and trying them on, winnowing the choices down. It's so much fun! Once I run through my list of stores I'll go through all the demos that remain and make a few choices.

I was in Limerence this morning, which I'd never even heard of before a few days ago, and I have to say the displays are really beautiful. I kept wondering where the clothes in the pictures came from. Shopping on the marketplace is great, but walking around and looking and trying stuff on cannot be beat.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 66 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.