Stop buying L$ lets hurt LL!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4011 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Qie Niangao wrote:

Hermione Lefevre wrote:

Move on? Sure I have to but that means paying 20 $ extra every month for my rent buying from LL ..an increase by 20 %

If prices rise that high for anything in RL ist that your advise also?

This is real money!!!

Can you explain more how you're getting a 20% hit by using the LindeX? Did you get a better foreign currency exchange rate somehow using a third party L$ exchange? If so, are you sure you can't get an even better rate with another FX supplier? I mean, those third party exchanges didn't operate for free; ultimately they had to trade L$s at the LindeX rate on average, and had to broker their foreign currency through some exchange.

Or, with that 20%, I wonder: is this somehow another VAT thing?

I was wondering this as well.  Awhile back on the Merchant forum someone asked if there was another service that cashed out money more quickly than the Lindex.  A few suggestions were given then the person came back (as well as some others with similar comments) saying how much more expensive the other TPE's were (specifically Virwox as it was the one some of us mentioned using) and that they would stick with Lindex.

Now we're hearing that Lindex is more expensive?

*Scratching my head*

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Qie Niangao wrote:

Hermione Lefevre wrote:

Move on? Sure I have to but that means paying 20 $ extra every month for my rent buying from LL ..an increase by 20 %

This is real money!!!

Can you explain more how you're getting a 20% hit by using the LindeX? Did you get a better foreign currency exchange rate somehow using a third party L$ exchange? If so, are you sure you can't get an even better rate with another FX supplier? I mean, those third party exchanges didn't operate for free; ultimately they had to trade L$s at the LindeX rate on average, and had to broker their foreign currency through some exchange.

I was wondering this as well.  Awhile back on the Merchant forum someone asked if there was another service that cashed out money more quickly than the Lindex.  A few suggestions were given then the person came back (as well as some others with similar comments) saying how much more expensive the other TPE's were (specifically Virwox as it was the one some of us mentioned using) and that they would stick with Lindex.

*Scratching my head*

hehehhehehehhe...

Its because you know.... the awesome skill that has LL for making simple thing like swamps....

and this added to the incredible habits that pp have to stop at the first info they get without even have the idea to go and look further....

Thank you...so I have understood it right. I am glad to know that, after all. And I have had the same thoughts, that the change would boost LL's profit, some times ahead in a near future, when people get used to not have other places to exchange money.

I have sold L$ to LL myself, a couple of times, and the fee is rather heavy, I think...Why should LL give that away to other side?

This whole affair is causing me issues atm. I have always used a pre paid Credit Card for SL...It's my way of keeping my spending in check. I have never been able to buy L$ off LL so have relied on 3rd party merchants without issue...now suddenly it's all stopped, I can use one company that I have used many times in the past, but suddenly Paypal won't accept my card to pay for L$.

I won't be forced into using another method of payment, so I guess I won't be buying L$ unless things change, and I know LL are not to blame but it still sucks that I can buy C$ for Avination from 3rd party merchants.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Qie Niangao wrote:

Hermione Lefevre wrote:

This is real money!!!

*Scratching my head*

I have always wondered what the TPE exchange rates were. I sell at 247 on the Lindex. 

Muletta wrote:

Thank you...so I have understood it right. I am glad to know that, after all. And I have had the same thoughts, that the change would boost LL's profit, some times ahead in a near future, when people get used to not have other places to exchange money.

I have sold L$ to LL myself, a couple of times, and the fee is rather heavy, I think...Why should LL give that away to other side?

Linden Lab does not buy (your) L$.

Acting as your authorized agent Linden Lab sells you $L to other Residents.  They are simply acting as your Broker.

ETA, when you used a TPE to buy or sell $L, you were not buying from or selling to them.  They also were only acting as your Agent.  The only exception to this may be the Anshex.  It may be (I can not swear to this) the way she is converting all the $L she collects in rent (tier) to cash.

LL took my L$ and put in on my SL-account as USD. I wondered the first time, why there was nothing to see on my ir-bank-account. Then I discovered that they only deducted for the next billing to me, and not payed the money out.

Why would I want to hurt LL? Whether they are complying with new US Federal regulations, trying to protect themselves from fraud, or trying to bring in more of a profit (or any combination thereof), LL is a business, SL is how they make their money. Why shouldn't they change TOS to benefit them? I hope they upgrade the Lindex so that there are more ways to pay for the small number who absolutely cannot use this service. For those who would rather not, or choose not to use it, if SL is important to them, they can live more cheaply in SL, create their own content, join groups and hunts that offer high quality freebies, seek employment in SL, troll the clubs looking for contests to earn Lindens ... but if using Lindex is an option and they don't want to use it, why blame LL?

Why would anyone want to boycott using currency? Oh yes, I want to lose the land I rent, I want to not be able to purchase things for myself or friends, or to tip  DJs and hosts at events, I want to not have any money to put in a RFL or ACT donation kiosk to support charity efforts that are important to me. Oh yes, and I want to work for free and not have my SL employer pay me. The notion is absurd. LL has a history of taking a "no skin off our noses if you don't like the rules and choose to leave" attitude. I don't see this being much different.

And it also seems that the furor is indeed focused in the forums. Of several dozen Europeans I've spoken to inworld regarding this  none of them have any problems using Lindex, and most were unaware of TPE.

Lucretia Brandenburg wrote:

Why would I want to hurt LL? Whether they are complying with new US Federal regulations, trying to protect themselves from fraud, or trying to bring in more of a profit (or any combination thereof), LL is a business, SL is how they make their money. Why shouldn't they change TOS to benefit them? I hope they upgrade the Lindex so that there are more ways to pay for the small number who absolutely cannot use this service. For those who would
rather
not, or
choose
not to use it, if SL is important to them, they can live more cheaply in SL, create their own content, join groups and hunts that offer high quality freebies, seek employment in SL, troll the clubs looking for contests to earn Lindens ... but if using Lindex
is 
an option and they don't
want
to use it, why blame LL?

Why would anyone want to boycott using currency? Oh yes, I want to lose the land I rent, I want to not be able to purchase things for myself or friends, or to tip  DJs and hosts at events, I want to not have any money to put in a RFL or ACT donation kiosk to support charity efforts that are important to me. Oh yes, and I want to work for free and not have my SL employer pay me. The notion is absurd. LL has a history of taking a "no skin off our noses if you don't like the rules and choose to leave" attitude. I don't see this being much different.

And it also seems that the furor is indeed focused in the forums. Of several dozen Europeans I've spoken to inworld regarding this  none of them have any problems using Lindex, and most were unaware of TPE.

THIS 

Plus me... :) now you can make it a dozen Europeans + 1 :)

Hellespont Hoorenbeek wrote:

Everybody stop buying and spending L$ in world this is the only way we can wake up Linden Lab and force them in a position to allow 3th party banks like DX Exchange, Virwox and others to continue. Linden Lab is the creator of Second Life, Linden Lab if they continue will also tare it down!

People it is time for action!

i would..but i got this chucky cheese thing going on later and well..ya know?

i just really don't want to hurt them..

i kinda like it here at times..

Azazael Heron wrote:

And buying L only from LL is NO option. Is costing me(Europe) more then i used to.

I'll ask again, if you know: Why does it cost you more to buy L$s from LL if you're in Europe?

Unless it's foreign currency exchange rate, or (somehow) VAT, I just can't figure out how another exchange could possibly have offered L$s below the cost of a limit order buy on the LindeX.

(I can imagine that they could maybe cut a bit from the LindeX commission on cashing-out, and could process the payout faster than LL with acceptable risk. But the buying thing... I still don't understand what's happening there.)

A brave post, and yes, it is time for action.

Note the majority of replies againstyour post are by the well known,same old,  tiresome LL shills ........and people who are in SL simply  to make money. 

In other words, a minority.

When I fist came into SL, the friend who introduced me explained how just about everything in SL was created not by LL, but by the residents.  Furthermore, what was made, was ininitially free or very  cheap; people simply enjoyed trying to make stuff and share it.

Then came greed. And more greed.

Some of the items I have are truly wonderful, but it is not the quality of the creations that make me enjoy SL.  I probably enjoyed it as much if not more more before mesh outfits et al.   

One of the classic examples is the kind old resident who makes great fun stuff, and spends most of her time around the blake sea pirate areas. Many of you will know who I mean. She does not charge, she embodies what SL was really - once - all about.

However, there must be progress, and I have no beef with quality content creators who spend time ( though... it must be said ...at their own choosing; no one puts a gun to their head) and make nice desirable stuff and charge a 'fair' price.  But.  I do despair of the greed that pervades more and more, from LL down.  No escape from RL, there!

I have stopped spending the money I used to in SL.  Which was quite considerable combining, as it did, my main and other alt avatar.  I consider the CEO to be a walking disaster, and LL not worthy of the tremendous customer base they have for the abysmal customer care they offer in  return.

This latest LL catastrophe, frankly, I could care less about.   They reap what they sow, and have took their customers for granted for so long now, they are beyond redemption it would appear.

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

Note the majority of replies againstyour post are by the well known,same old,  tiresome LL shills ........and people who are in SL simply  to make money. 

In other words, a minority.

When I fist came into SL, the friend who introduced me explained how just about everything in SL was created not by LL, but by the residents
 Furthermore, what was made, was ininitially free or very  cheap; people simply enjoyed trying to make stuff and share it.

Then came greed. And more greed.

Some of the items I have are truly wonderful, but it is not the quality of the creations that make me enjoy SL.  I probably enjoyed it as much if not more more before mesh outfits et al.   

One of the classic examples is the kind old resident who makes great fun stuff, and spends most of her time around the blake sea pirate areas. Many of you will know who I mean. She does not charge, she embodies what SL was really - once - all about.

However, there must be progress, and I have no beef with quality content creators who spend time ( though... it must be said ...at their own choosing; no one puts a gun to their head) and make nice desirable stuff and charge a 'fair' price.  But.  I do despair of the greed that pervades more and more, from LL down.  No escape from RL, there!

I have stopped spending the money I used to in SL.  Which was quite considerable combining, as it did, my main and other alt avatar.  I consider the CEO to be a walking disaster, and LL not worthy of the tremendous customer base they have for the abysmal customer care they offer in  return.

This latest LL catastrophe, frankly, I could care less about.   They reap what they sow, and have took their customers for granted for so long now, they are beyond redemption it would appear.

II am not a regulr eha

I am not a "regular whatever you said" I am also not here to make money. I do know that when a business has to comply with laws that's what you do. Simple. It's very nice when people create and share, but sound like entitlement for you to think it should all be shared or you call it greed. Maybe you didn't know that some things to create these wonderful things cost people money. It's not greed when someone wants to make money in a virtual world, it's actually not up for our debate as we don't know what motivates them to have a business here, and BTW I think it's great when people have an sl business I have NO problem contributing to their success and enjoying the creative things they make.

Oh how brave to sound off on something none of us know the details to and yet you I assume don't work there so deal with it or laws may not be of importance to you? The CEO, he is what he is, nothing is preventing you from not logging in if you don't like what is done here. Taking a walk outside in rl gives you better perception to clear your head, just and FYI.

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

Note the majority of replies againstyour post are by the well known,
same old,  tiresome
LL shills ........and people who are in SL simply  to make money. 

Hoshi, you'd have trouble with a Turing test your ownself. I'm just sayin'...

just by forcing the TPE's to cease trading will hurt LL with out encouraging people to stop buying or spending L$ inworld. the first time i wanted to by L$ you were given a list of exchanges to buy from basically the TPE list so you could buy in local currency if you wanted i did just that found an exchange i thought was best for me and always used it, the TPE's were also good for people who didn't want to give payment info to LL. now they're gone if former TPE users don't want to use the LindeX they wont thats hurt enough in it's self for more than just LL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4011 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.