SECOND LIFE IS DYING...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 434 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Yes but that actually makes it interesting, especially with the 20th anniversary coming up. Ten years ago, that's halfway from the beginning to now. Think of all the other virtual worlds that have popped up and died since then. Sansar, High FIdelity, Meta (not quite dead but definitely a zombie)...

You know what, I suspect the title was correct at that time. SL was in a bad shape in 2013 and LL had even started working on a replacement. But then Oz and Ebbe came along. Ebbe cleaned up LL's organisation. Oz was tasked with patching up SL to keep it going until Sansar was ready. Only he did such a good job that when Sansar inevitably folded, SL was stronger than it had been for many years. Yes, we can talk about all the things they didn't do or couldn't do and all the things they got wrong, it would be a long list. But there was also so much they got right and it was enough.

SL is still dying btw but aren't we all?

If only this were true. Well, I guess we will never know for certain, I should preface. But I see it differently based on all communication from LL during development, and seeing what Sansar is/was since launch.

But by all accounts, Sansar was supposed to be another product. I think one of the things that really hurt Sansar initially was the expectation of so many that we were getting a Second Life 2.0. (I pinned that on Linden Lab at the time, for their way too early "accidental" slip about its existence, and their about face of "we can't yet talk about that". It led to too much speculation) That was never supposed to happen. Yes, it was supposedly built in the spirit of SL, but that was it. Unfortunately, the intention to NOT replace SL with a rebuild from the ground up was a horrific decision from LL at the time, in my opinion. Building a separate VR-centric product was a disaster. Once they realized the state of their VR pipedream, they improved Sansar way too late and way too slowly with their mouse and keyboard improvements. Rebuilding SL from the ground up using modern technology was sorely needed and could have made for an even better grid than we have today. I still call for it today.

I agree though - it is dying, in the sense that it has a shelf life. Many of us will eventually see the death of SL, I think. It just isn't months or a couple years away.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Istelathis said:

In the 80s we had them, we just referred to them as metal heads.  It had a lot of people in an uproar, some were convinced that the world was coming to an end, that if you played the music backwards there were satanic messages converting our youth into savages.  

If that were not bad enough, some of us were carrying around Dungeons and Dragons books, which likewise was a portal into demonic worship.  Us playing, was of course persecution on the more timid minded because we were throwing our stories in their faces.  School ain't no place for such savagery and story telling on recess breaks.  Crazy times, I tells ya!

Now the thread is definitely going to get locked.. dammit.. I was enjoying all the fun we were having.

I skipped the hairspray... got into metal in the late 1980s in middle school, not so much into glam... more of a thrash/death/grindcore metal head. D&D was a favorite activity of mine for a spell, too.

*looks for a mosh pit*

PS these days I have some respect for the glam dudes, some of them are excellent musicians, and a few (like Kip Winger) have branched out beyond the confines of metal.

• Like 2

Are we dead yet?

**Asking since 2007 ... When I joined 😂

People keep saying SL is dead since I joined, I hope thats no coincidence haha but for real I start to get the feeling that it still will be there when we all are gone x3 the grid will mutate into its own virtual being and will live a happy life still in 2307 XD maybe it's even leading the AI/machine apocalypse as their overlord, Mother Griddy :D

Maybe I had too much coffee maybe...we gonna see in 2307 XD 

• Haha 2

On 3/9/2023 at 1:22 AM, Anaimfinity said:

I expect SL land occupation and population density to remain constant for the next 10 to 20 years, with small fluctuatuins. 

I'm someone who wants SL to succeed because I'm having fun here. I just facepalm asking myself why you would ever revive a thread with this title, especially if they're of a contrary opinion (why did you not just create a thread like "why Second Life is not dying" which is what your post was about) Alone a title like that showing up as ongoing discussion (yeah now I'm contributing, but I hope it's getting closed anyway) is gonna do more harm than it could ever do good.

Edited by xDancingStarx

19 hours ago, Adam Spark said:

But by all accounts, Sansar was supposed to be another product. I think one of the things that really hurt Sansar initially was the expectation of so many that we were getting a Second Life 2.0. (I pinned that on Linden Lab at the time, for their way too early "accidental" slip about its existence, and their about face of "we can't yet talk about that". It led to too much speculation) That was never supposed to happen.

It wasn't an "accidental slip". LL started a thread here (in the forum at the time), stating that they were starting work on the next generation, and saying that, "If we don't do it, someone else will". They posted that some of what we had in SL would be transferable to the new world, which made it sound like SL2 to us and, in a way, it was SL2 - just not what we expected.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

I think the Lab (and so SL too) came close to an end during what turned out to be the Sansar fiasco.
But now there should be years left in SL's lifespan if no unexpected things happen.

I think Sansar helped save SL. The big problem Second Life had during the 2008-2013 time period was the constant pressure from LL's owners and top management to rush through new "shinies" to stack on top of the rather shaky fundament. Sansar took off that pressure and the Lindens who remained with SL shifted their focus to repair and maintenance which is what they should have done much earlier.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, xDancingStarx said:

I just facepalm asking myself why you would ever revive a thread with this title, especially if they're of a contrary opinion (why did you not just create a thread like "why Second Life is not dying" which is what your post was about)

Normally I would agree with you but for this topic it's good to have the historical perspective.

49 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

It wasn't an "accidental slip". LL started a thread here (in the forum at the time), stating that they were starting work on the next generation, and saying that, "If we don't do it, someone else will". They posted that some of what we had in SL would be transferable to the new world, which made it sound like SL2 to us and, in a way, it was SL2 - just not what we expected.

oh the slip was way before this, in a media interview. They were forced eventually to come here and face us and give us more info, probably earlier than they should, and I think that may have forced them to placate us with some things. In no meaningful way was it SL2 - it was not a connected world but a set of shared experiences. It was to run in Linden Lab's product line beside SL I fully believe.  They did eventually say that they would work on transfer of items, but they were pretty quick to point out that because they were different platforms in basically every way, it would be hard to cross over anything in a meaningful way, as most everything would break and they were not planning on preventing that.

4 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Ah, ok. I hadn't known that it was slipped out before the forum announcement.

"In a way" it was SL2 simply because it was LL's second 3D world.

In the tiniest of ways, I suppose. But not in a meaningful one. I guess it depends on how much of a reach you are willing to make to say that, in a way, it was SL2.

For me, I don't see it that way because it wasn't even a world. It was a set of shared spaces, like a 3D web. There was no connectivity. No map, no crossing from one to another outside of a portal on their website...

The fact that it was 3D graphics was the largest connection to SL that it had in my opinion. Games, like World of Warcraft or Ark Survival Evolved, have that.

yes its dying..

I have very few that I can say as friend, since I dont do random hookup or elwhat they call poly.

I found SL is a world of poly sexual and poly romantic platform. , gore roleplay and bdsm .

When you arent in the lifestyle you be end up alone.

I feel peopke here just want to experience sexual side rather than true friendship. Its kind lika a lust game .

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 434 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.