What made you want to join second life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4044 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It might've been but they both were wearing masks so I'm not sure.  However, one of them did seem very upbeat, talking about meta this and virtual that, and after he asked to use my restroom and didn't come back for a long time I went to check on him and found out he had squeezed out the bathroom window and run away.

I was looking for the sexxors, freebies, and hawt furry pron. And I heard you could be a millionaire in 3 seconds flat by selling noobs junk.

But all I got was a new religion, a ton of introspection, and some forum drama... (and a bunch of crusty old people for friends...

... some of them are even as old as me. o.O )

One morning in 2006 over my first cup of coffee I read a brief article on SL in our local paper that explained that you could create ID content in a virtual world. As an artist, I was fascinated by the prospect of being able to create things where the only limit seemed to be your imagination. Combined with my desire to experience a virtual world, like I had read about in sci-fi books, some day, I was hooked immediately.  I went to my computer and logged in and have been in SL ever since..

Whatever your reasons for asking the question, I'll post the second normal answer to it :)

I was having an email chat with a family member, who said that she uses Second Life a lot. I asked what it is and she described it. In the late 80s and early 90s I'd been hooked by a scrolling text MUG and SL sounded right up my street, so I registered. That was in 2006 and I've been in SL, without any breaks, ever since.

Six years ago I saw an article about Second Life in a newspaper.

It sounded amazing - a 3D virtual world. Wow!

So I joined out of curiosity to see personally what this thing was all about.

I was hooked at once.  And it appears I still am.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

Coby Foden wrote:

Six years ago I saw an article about Second Life in a newspaper.

It sounded amazing - a 3D virtual world. Wow!

So I joined out of curiosity to see personally what this thing was all about.

I was hooked at once.  And it appears I still am.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

You were hooked? And you still are? So much for my planned fishing expedition to hook you for myself :(

My wife wanted me to join in 2006. She had to explore SL for her company but she did not found the time so she asked me. That was a mistake :smileyvery-happy: 

When I was done exploring for her I deleted that account and continued with my current one.

saw it on the interwebz. so dl and had a go to see what is

I do same for lots of interwebz stuff that I find. so nothing special in that sense

+

SL is mallcrawl uncool these days. so I keep logging in. have always been a bit countertrend like that. just bc really (:  

I came here because of Grand Theft Auto San Andreas and Club Caribe on Quantum Link.

It was mid 2005 and I had finished playing through the game completely.  Occasionally I'd go back and play through the storyline again.  Meanwhile, I, like others at the time thought it would be cool if there was an online version.  I think others just wanted to play shoot-em-up online where as I was more interested in the more innocuous side things you could do.  For example, I thought it would be cool to hijack some car, drive to the pool hall, and then play a game with whoever was online and wanted to play.

The thought reminded me of my old Q-Link days with the Commodore 64.  Q-Link was all text based but there was an extra service called Club Caribe you could pay for.  I never had that but from the screenshots it looked like a 2D graphical world you could wander around in, do stuff, and chat with others.

Thinking about all that together, I thought it would be cool if there was an online 3D world that you could log into and just do stuff.  The service itself would not be a game, rather, it would be a virtual world you would entertained yourself in.  You could play pool, go bowling, go golfing, play cards, or do any number of things that would be available.  You could get into car/motorcycle/plane/boat races.  And, in specially designated areas, you could play shoot-em-up too.  Or you could go off on your own and explore the landscape.  Just whatever you wanted to do – a sort of online escape from reality.

So I figured I'd give a shot at searching for something like that and through whatever keywords I used at the time I found Second Life.  I signed up and was immediately hooked.  It was (is) a 3D virtual world where you log in and just do whatever.  To that end it was just what I was looking for.  I didn't initially factor in user generated content although that's a big draw for me now.  I was thinking of much larger and sprawling areas provided by the makers and much more similar to GTA.  Still, SL is the closest I've found to what I was looking for and still enjoy it very much.

What made you want to join second life?

Curiosity. I found out about SL in 2004 but had to wait another year until my computer and internet connection were up to speed. I had vague ideas of doing a NinJam-style hookup with other musicians in Second Life. That didn't quite pan out as I'd hoped. In its place I found myself on a whole new adventure in the weird and wonderful virtual world of SL.

It's been confusing and even maddening at times but along the way I've met fascinating and creative people, made friendships that have greater depth than most of my RL 'friendships', learned the basics of 3D construction, rediscovered my music mojo and recorded 7 albums which I perform regularly at my venue on the SL mainland as well as pulling myself out of a major burnout / depression and generally turned my life around. So, in no small terms, it's been the best thing that's happened to me in the last 10 years.

June 1st 2004. The day before my birthday, a good friend came down from London and stayed overnight. We drank allot, we smoked allot, By late evening we were completely mashed. He started telling me about Second Life. I installed the viewer on my machine, he logged into his account and I got my first experience of SL. He had built this cool multi tiered platform/house type thing on top of a mountain peak, his avatar was a robot, and he could fly, he was streaming music in to his parcel from an FTP server....I remember it was playing Underworld - Born Slippy when i arrived, he had invented and built his own 3D board game called "Meknes" and he taught me how to play, then he took me to Abbots Aerodrome and we got a plane each and started flying around the sim. In my inebriated state I thought this was the coolest "game" I had ever seen. He purchased me a 1 month premium membership for my birthday and the rest is history, I have been here ever since.

To be very honest with you, I found SL from a bondage website that I was briefly a member of. The person who ran it praised the merits of SL and her bondage fetish, so I joined. Found it to be fun, but have done so many more things since then.

I was heavily into TinyMUDs and related worlds when someone told me about SL, but with my cranky old computer with cranky old dialup I knew it wasn't going to happen so I gave them my cranky old response "Those with real imagination do it in text!"  But over the years I frequently read what I could find about SL and when I finally got a decent internet connection I scraped together a better computer and logged in for the first time, and I've pretty much forgotten about the text based worlds.

What made me join SL? Well a friend who has been on SL for about 4 years, kept bugging me to join. Telling me its like nothing ever seen anywhere on the internet and that I could be anything I wanted to be. Year and a half later almost, I am still here and more addicted to SL then I was the day I joined.

I had participated with a group of friends in a role play channel on IRC for approximately 15 years.  A visitor entered our channel one day in 2007 and began telling us about SL.  Our initial response was, "We've never heard of it, we've been together in this location for 15 years and like it, so we're not interested."

One by one various members of our group got curious (me being one of the first) and joined SL to check it out, then went back to IRC to encourage the others to join and continue the rp in SL.  Which is exactly what happened, although several people did come to SL, hated it for whatever reason, and never did return.

Edit: Add date

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4044 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.