What made you want to join second life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4044 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was lurking on a very obscure, very kinky gay forum where someone posted about SL and all the kinky things you could do there.  I thought that was interesting but not enough to try it.

Then, not much later, I was watching Countdown with Keith Olbermann (which I always use to watch until he got fired) when he did a segment about this woman that was divorcing her husband, whom she had met on SL, because she found out he was fooling around with other women in SL.  I thought...wow, does this place really have that kind of effect on people?  And I became even more interested, but still not enough to join.

At the time, I was really into this game called City of Heroes and I thought that the coolest thing about it was the fact that you could choose different elements and create your own character.  What sucked about it was that once you created your character, that was it.  If you were to go through the trouble of leveling up and doing a special mission, only then you could change just your character's clothing... nothing else... talk about a PITA.

Being already curious about SL, I started researching and figured out that you didn't have to level up or go through missions to change your clothes or even your body.  That's when I knew I had to try it.

Since my sister liked City of Heroes as much and for the same reason as I did, I told her about it and she ended up joining a day ahead of me (only because I couldn't think of a name until after midnight).  At the time, we shared one very crappy computer and I got on first, but became so frustrated (I could hardly move) that I ended up not logging on for months and just watched her escapades in SL.

Then, unexpectedly, I received a small inheritance and decided to spend most of it on building both my sister and I two almost top of the line (for the time) computers.  Then we were able to get on SL together and actually move around at a decent pace... we were both hooked.

I'll tell you... it made a lot of difference having someone with whom to go through that experience.  I can't image that it would have been half as enjoyable without her being there with me.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

...Dres (Oh... btw... what that guy said about the kinky things was very true. angel-smiley-5100.gif)

Yeah, I actually am doing research xD. I am in a class in which we are studying body practices, and I was really curious about the virtual body. What was so fascinating about these online virtual worlds, how people fashioned themselves through avatars, and if there became a preference for what one did in a virtual world versus so-called "real life." It seems many people are living through these virtual worlds to the extent of even getting married, and so I thought this would be an interesting site to check out. Any insight is greatly appreciated but thought I would just start with one question here. 

XxTenanyexX wrote:

Yeah, I actually am doing research
xD
. I am in a class in which we are studying body practices, and I was really curious about the virtual body. What was so fascinating about these online virtual worlds, how people fashioned themselves through avatars, and if there became a preference for what one did in a virtual world versus so-called "real life." It seems many people are living through these virtual worlds to the extent of even getting married, and so I thought this would be an interesting site to check out. Any insight is greatly appreciated thought I just started with one question here. 

How come you didn't just say that in the first place?

I fashioned my avatar after the kind of guy that I'd most like to be screwed by; I fashioned my alt after the kind of guy I'd most like to screw... the best of both worlds.  My preference for what I'd like to do in a virtual world is top and my preference for what I'd like to do in real life is bottom.

...Dres (You do realize that I'm feeding you a bunch of crap.)

I wanted to attend raves but knew I might get hurt (90 lb girls in large crowds don't mix well!). When I heard about all the pixel bumping I thought it might be a safe alternative! I have been doing it ever since! :matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4044 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.