Is Lindenlab choosing a doomed path for SL ? Tell us if the EEP and PBR introduction changed the way you play SL

40 minutes ago, JeromFranzic said:

I wouldn't buy that for SL... Open Sim, maybe... could run a few sims at once and spend less per month running them vs spending $$$ for a Premium+ account in SL. IJS. 

Heck, I wouldn't buy that thing unless it was:

(A) large enough to live in or (B) turned into a lifesize supercar, an actual RL transformer robot, or something else actually worth paying that kind of price tag!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:
50 minutes ago, JeromFranzic said:

I wouldn't buy that for SL... Open Sim, maybe... could run a few sims at once and spend less per month running them vs spending $$$ for a Premium+ account in SL. IJS. 

Heck, I wouldn't buy that thing unless it was:

(A) large enough to live in or (B) turned into a lifesize supercar, an actual RL transformer robot, or something else actually worth paying that kind of price tag!

Some people have more money than sense, or must have the best / most expensive toy to show off  to their friends.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Hope I don't get hate for saying this, but I really do miss flexi skirts with glitchpants for longer skirts. There I said it!  puts on armor.

I bought a new one at the vintage fair!  It came with the option of just wearing the underlying mesh skirt part or adding the flexi...ETA...it's from an older creator, too.  Sascha's Designs

London 1940, the Blitz

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

On 6/25/2024 at 11:54 PM, Zalificent Corvinus said:

And that has what, exactly, to do with the topic of "has LL messed up".

MobileLife Fail-Viewer is a fail.

No access to a 1/3rd of the grid, no inventory access, etc., etc., its not going to be some miracle cure and bring in some mythical "vast untapped new market".

Second Life mobile development is still in its early days. I'm sure these issues will be resolved within the next 12 months. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

Hope I don't get hate for saying this, but I really do miss flexi skirts with glitchpants for longer skirts. There I said it!  puts on armor.

Actually one of my fave dresses was a medaeval dress with the flexi prims and glitchpants.

I do have  one long mesh dress I really like, but it has a very full skirt so it doesn’t deform with most leg/foot movements

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thecla said:

I think there are more "professional level" content creators than there were before.

Depends on how one defines "professional". The number of creators who earn their living by SL (professionally) still is marginal. The NWN survey results are  based on 110 replies or so, and not really on reliable data. And even there the vast majority does not really earn a living (net income) by SL beyond european/american social welfare standards, and if, it takes a lot of luck, effort and creativity, great advertisement and whatever to keep such a business going for more than a couple of years. The fluctuation in this segment is very high. Now mind the number of creators who list their things on the MP (tenthousands) and never show up anywhere in the "best selling" segment. I do not want to imply that the "earn nothings" do produce trash. But the very very most of them are simply (sometimes highly) skilled amateurs and hobbyists, not true professionals in that sense..

Maybe you are right with your suggestion that there are a few people "producing for several platforms". But I doubt that too many people in the attachment segment (clothes and so on) are willing to produce (SL dedicated) versions of their stuff for ten or more mesh bodies and heads any other four weeks, while they only need to produce ONE at any other platform. Why should they spend hours on rigging if they get away with a  lot less time and work elsewhere?

Your optimism regarding PBR reminds me of the optimism which was connected to mesh imports back then. "This will enable professionals to bring their content to Second Life" for all the reasons, you know.. It did not happen. And even if, apparently it did not make SL grow at all. And PBR will not do wonders, too. In the end it will, like mesh, probably help to keep the ship afloat.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JeromFranzic said:

But honestly, many hobbyists I've talked to in Open Sim are frugal and likely don't spend as much for a PC to run a sim or two. lol 

Lol, that would be massive overkill for a few sims. I run close to 100 sims on a 16GB Acer Nitro 2 and can still run a viewer on it without it breaking a sweat.

A machine like that I wouldn't be happy unless I could run 15+ viewer logins and have a thousand or so sims running all at once.

3 hours ago, Irina Forwzy said:

I used long skirts as an example.  It's not the only style or item that creators are not creating due to demand for other items. But it proves a point that creators in and of themselves aren't only creating because they like something.

Why would one need to create only because they like something?  You've created an either/or situation that doesn't need to exist, and actually rarely exists. I don't see a bunch of merchants running around claiming they only create this or that because of creativity and never have monetary considerations along with it.

One can choose to create items known to be preferred by customers while not being one's favorite style and  be creative within those parameters... and enjoy doing so. Over the years I actually learned to be more creative by going outside my comfort zone/preference to accommodate what customers preferred.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

I tried a couple of other viewers,Black Dragon and Alchemy..

They actually ran a lot better for me than my FS did..

I remember using the first Black Dragon PBR viewer and saying how nice it ran for me as well..

My FS viewer was doing good at first but then it just seemed each time I used it , it performed a little less..

I get a lot more of the teleport crashes  as well..

I'm gonna try and set up the Alchemy, and see what all I can do with that..I like that it has poser also. :)

I'll try and live with the bulky windows it has for cam controls and chat and things..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

Some of the graphics suggestions made earlier in here for tweaking the settings in the Nvidia control panel in addition to upgrading my drivers helped my remaining issue with textures going back and forth from blurry to not blurry so thank you for those tips.

It seems to be running fine for the most part for me except PBR mirrors. They kill the FPS in my skybox more dramatically than FPS drops I've seen in other areas. I have not tried in my Belli house since the FPS is lower there than my skybox on mainland. I don't have a super high end computer but it is a newer Ibuypower I bought in March. Only change I have made was putting more ram in so I have 32 GB DDR 5.

Any suggestions for mirrors?  I have this computer so you don't need a several thousand dollar machine if anyone is looking under 1k. I didn't buy it for second life specifically. I had a 5 year old computer that didn't meet the specs on some newer games and I get a work bonus every year in March. gave my old one to my 7 year old for roblox.

computer.jpg

13 hours ago, starladustangel said:

Some of the graphics suggestions made earlier in here for tweaking the settings in the Nvidia control panel in addition to upgrading my drivers helped my remaining issue with textures going back and forth from blurry to not blurry so thank you for those tips.

It seems to be running fine for the most part for me except PBR mirrors. They kill the FPS in my skybox more dramatically than FPS drops I've seen in other areas. I have not tried in my Belli house since the FPS is lower there than my skybox on mainland. I don't have a super high end computer but it is a newer Ibuypower I bought in March. Only change I have made was putting more ram in so I have 32 GB DDR 5.

Any suggestions for mirrors?  I have this computer so you don't need a several thousand dollar machine if anyone is looking under 1k. I didn't buy it for second life specifically. I had a 5 year old computer that didn't meet the specs on some newer games and I get a work bonus every year in March. gave my old one to my 7 year old for roblox.

computer.jpg

I don't think there is much you can do about the FPS hit of mirrors other than adjusting down the settings in graphics preferences for resolution and update frequency. I did a bit of testing when I made my first mirror and there was a pretty direct correlation on those things to frame rate. And it makes sense that it taxes your viewer; you're asking it to take a snapshot and then "paint" it on a surface.

That said there are odd exceptions. I put this humongous mirror in the tattoo parlor on my sim and my frame rate does not budge whether it's there or not. Weird.

mirror.png

Edited by Thecla
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Thecla said:

I don't think there is much you can do about the FPS hit of mirrors other than adjusting down the settings in graphics preferences for resolution and update frequency. I did a bit of testing when I made my first mirror and there was a pretty direct correlation on those things to frame rate. And it makes sense that it taxes your viewer; you're asking it to take a snapshot and then "paint" it on a surface.

That said there are odd exceptions. I put this humongous mirror in the tattoo parlor on my sim and my frame rate does not budge whether it's there or not. Weird.

mirror.png

This makes me want to create something , sooo bad now!! \o/

I love that look and feel of that room :)

• Like 2