Is Lindenlab choosing a doomed path for SL ? Tell us if the EEP and PBR introduction changed the way you play SL

1 minute ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

The thing I use has a .core folder, which is essentially my naked avi (cr wear naked takes me back to that, whatever I have in that folder, which includes my AO). Mine is a modded version of OpenCollar I use to automate my own avu.  The stuff I have in the outfits subfolder is just the clothing, etc.. I have some stuff also I use with & to add one off things like shoes, accessories, etc.. if I want to wear it at the time. I also have the FullArray outfits hud but I have yet to spend much time with it. 

I have a separate outfit folder called "nothing", and is empty. It strips me when I type bj wear nothing.

That's not the same as my saved "restore" outfit though, which is not based on rlv at all.

I also have a bondage hood outfit, which is also in the outfits folder and not rlv because I can't add it without removing my hair which is rlv protected, so I replace what I'm wearing with that saved outfit to get me ready for play.

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
8 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

should you ever be so dumb to re invite me

You'd be astonished at how stupid I am.

(or . . . not?)

Is it too late to make it a PBR party?

I thought we all got along at your last soiré!

• Like 1

Just now, Coffee Pancake said:

Ahh yes. The EPP version of "make everything full bright"

Check out the environment menu, there is a special "legacy midday". Try that.

No, I don't like it as much and in FS at least, it doesn't work on my Opensim regions. CoolV did seem to work and have to dig a bit to figure out why it works in one but not the other.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

No, I don't like it as much and in FS at least, it doesn't work on my Opensim regions. CoolV did seem to work and have to dig a bit to figure out why it works in one but not the other.

You're going to have a bad time. PBR is the new normal. Rip the bandaid off.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

Or having a skin with a proper neck fade built into it. My EVOX face and my body skins are from two different brands (le Lapeau and Birth) and not even the exact same tone, but the face skin has a neck fade built into it - no seam and not one of the neck fades you have to tint or any of that stuff which is dodgy.

I use a system head, and while you would think it would be a perfect match wearing the same skin that is applied to the body, its not quite the same.

Hence, a pretty choker

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

You're going to have a bad time. PBR is the new normal. Rip the bandaid off.

I relooked and see I have 5 different Midday settings. A couple looked ok and the others would have their uses but with putting in the Quick preference RenderExposure slider, I have options to brighten or darken the scene.

"Tell us if the EEP and PBR introduction changed the way you play SL"

Yes, it did! I now enjoy it more. I am aware that this is only possible because I have a very up-to-date-computer that is pretty young. I bought it bc my old computer would have died playing games in general, including SL. 

I am happy that things change. Imagine SL would be the same like it was in, lets say, 2008? Things evolve and change, and we can (or can't) adapt to that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This raises an interesting point relative to galleries. Most curators / gallery owners insist (politely) that one set one's pics on display to "full bright." (They also want the as large as possible, which I am increasingly disliking, because the size of the canvas is as much an element of its experience as the colours used.)

I'd actually prefer NOT to use full bright, which I find garish and ugly -- and yes, non-immersive. But the alternative is indeed setting up fairly extensive interior lighting to compensate.

I'm increasingly leaning towards that idea.

I'm not a huge collector but I have some pieces I like. When I first started out, I set them fullbright, but this was before projected lights, let alone EEP, so effective scene lighting was difficult. 

Now I can't imagine using fullbright to actually experience in-world art. It's not only garish, but it isolates the art from the scene. So yeah, "non-immersive" but freakishly so, like slideshow images of art rather than art itself.

(Not that I didn't appreciate all those undergrad architecture history classes with pretty pictures projected in a warm dark room after lunch and too little sleep.)

Here's a thing about that, relevant to SL PBR: Soon enough, practically everybody will have ALM enabled all the time. That "extensive interior lighting" will actually be seen, something on which we could not depend, pre-PBR.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Sabrina Nebula said:

"Tell us if the EEP and PBR introduction changed the way you play SL"

Yes, it did! I now enjoy it more. I am aware that this is only possible because I have a very up-to-date-computer that is pretty young. I bought it bc my old computer would have died playing games in general, including SL. 

I am happy that things change. Imagine SL would be the same like it was in, lets say, 2008? Things evolve and change, and we can (or can't) adapt to that. 

^^^+1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

which I find garish and ugly -- and yes, non-immersive.

You know, those of us who are garish, ugly, and non-immersive have feelings too!

ETA:

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'd actually prefer NOT to use full bright, which I find garish and ugly -

Oops! I took you out of context. I don't think "full bright" people have feelings, so never mind.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Modulated said:

There is still the issue of someone from that team having to publish their REAL LIFE INFORMATION to do it, that is not something they want to do because people....especially those in SL...are a-holes.  You can't get signed anonymously, that's not how it works.

A little kindness all even if you find eep/pbr frustrating. We are talking a software change not murder.  No need for personal attacks on SL folk or volunteers. Btw FS project is a non-profit Incorporated organisation so has a rl identify itself. 

• Like 1

Can someone who is computer literate (there are many here) :) tell me if I will have an issue running the FS PBR version?

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1260P   2.10 GHz

16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I run at about 30 FPS now on med graphics

Also, what settings do I need to change or disable right out of the gate?

Sorry, I know this is in all the posts but I'm having a hard time putting it all together.

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I'm using it on one of the newer builds, and it seems to be working.  I'm enjoying it on mine, it really makes the textures pop. 

Snapshot_105.thumb.jpg.12ecb5ee2de405efcc2b7f68ab5a40c7.jpg

Snapshot_106.thumb.jpg.db21a079109616929d146fccae19b3e9.jpg

All textures in my castle are BP, but I was playing with a section which I created to be PBR.  The textures were all AI generated btw 😉

In second life it also makes everything pop, which I am enjoying

Snapshot_008.thumb.jpg.494962ac2ff1e61d532f72daadeaa2f0.jpg
My prim home,  a recreation of the old linden homes.  

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Can someone who is computer literate (there are many here) :) tell me if I will have an issue running the FS PBR version?

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1260P   2.10 GHz

16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I run at about 30 FPS now on med graphics

Also, what settings do I need to change or disable right out of the gate?

Sorry, I know this is in all the posts but I'm having a hard time putting it all together.

If this is with ALM enabled, it will probably be around the same. If it is without ALM enabled, then your FPS will be decreased by around 3/4 to 1/4 of what it was before, assuming you follow the antivirus whitelisting steps correctly.

Edited by BriannaLovey

2 hours ago, Sabrina Nebula said:

I am happy that things change. Imagine SL would be the same like it was in, lets say, 2008?

You should pop round and have a good stare at me one day, the last time I updated my avatar was about 2008.

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2024 at 4:22 AM, RicDelMoro said:

My experience with EEP : I made some very simple skies and I use them everywhere I go. With PBR I try to deactivate the maximum of features as possible.
I hated all these arrogant changes that force us to buy stronger computers. With the PBR it is worse, it puts more strain on the machine and socialization is becoming unfeasible.
Users who like simple things like driving and doing some roleplaying in door don't care at all about these "improvements" that LL introduced.
If you're the type of guy who goes out to buy a new computer every time Lindelab's mood changes, congratulations, but not me, I'm a normal person who plays just for fun and I have thousands of other leisure options on the Web.
As a result of these beautiful news,my gameplay has deteriorated,caused an effect opposite to that desired by LL. It's sad to say, but currently I avoid places with more people and very complex landscapes, I've been playing in a kind of "survival mode". I know if I step outside my box my PC will overheat or crash. And the time I spend online in SL has decreased. I keep logging into SL out of sheer stubbornness, even though my rational side is saying: "go do something else"...This is just my opinion, if you are happy with all these changes tell us here.

I was about to stop reading after the word "arrogance". Talk about an ax to grind.

You're clearly pissed off that you can't afford to upgrade your computer, but none of us care. That's your business.

Goes out to buy a new computer every time LL's mood changes? You must be on drugs. SL has lagged for years, in part to accommodate those with older machines And clearly your "thousands of other leisure options" don't include a game released in the last five years.

TL;DR: Stop whining like a baby because of your antiquated hardware.

• Like 1

I always run with shared environment lighting conditions.  I think people should expect everybody to use shared environment, and pick their land's EEP settings accordingly.

Personally, I always judge builds by how they look with shared environment.  Sometimes I change to noon, if I can't see anything.  Every now and then, if I'm doing photography, I'll load an EEP or tweak some EEP settings.  That's rare, though.  I'm a RL photographer, and I like to shoot long exposures at night, so it's a habit to work with the light as I find it, rather than try to change it.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2024 at 4:44 PM, Istelathis said:

True story, to get my new PC without making too much of a sacrifice, I am going to sell mah blood.  My previous laptop was six years old (I believe) the plastics around the hinges had disintegrated as the oils had dried out due to the heating.  The 1050 at the time, could handle PBR but not by any means fantastically.  Plus with all of the new stuff coming out for computers as of late, mostly AI, it was time to for an upgrade.

So, I went against my better judgement, got a credit card that has no interest for 12 months and purchased a computer for under $1000, an inexpensive monitor, and 32gb of additional ram.  Donating plasma should have it paid off in less than two months, and I expect to have the desktop for another five years with upgrading, before I move on to something else.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700 8-Core Processor               (3792.78 MHz)
Memory: 48278 MB (Used: 504 MB)
Concurrency: 16
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 11 64-bit (Build 22631.3737)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
Graphics Card Memory: 7949 MB
Graphics Card Memory (Detected): 7949 MB
Graphics Card Memory (Budget): Unlimited

This may be an option for some of you looking to upgrade your computer, but don't have the money handy.  Look for a place that buys yer plasma, where I live there is usually a bonus for the first month.  I get $800, for I think it is about 8 donations, with being a new "donor".  I have setup my first session for next week.

I am kind of happy, that I have a reason to upgrade my computer again.  Not just for SL, just for running things.  It felt as though technology was getting stagnant, and there was no need anymore to upgrade.. unlike the 90s and earlier 2000s where it felt like my computer almost required to be upgraded or replaced every couple of years.

He is gone again?  

😔

I'm starting to develop abandonment issues.

Unfortunately, I can't donate blood because of my immune disease and its medications; ditto my kidney.

I am filling out surveys online for dollars and it is taking awhile, but maybe next year?

• Sad 2