How important is the day night cycle to you? Should SL just have constant daylight?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 87 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Its part of the Second Life experience for me. Theres not much else I can say on it. Without it, a little bit about what makes SL that SL wouldn't be there. I've always loved this feature and it makes SL that much more dynamic and natural. Its relaxing to park your av somewhere and watch the sky as it goes from day to night or night to day. Sometimes I just just star gaze and think of those aliens LL has. Yep! There's additional lore to SL, the pig aliens. They got a crashed UFO in one of the mainland sims.

• Like 2

I tend to default to MidDay for most tasks, but at the same time, I'd prefer if the Environment Settings would match my RL time. It seems more immersive to me when it's the same perceived time in SL and RL. Also probably really important to not mess up your natural circadian rythmns by being in noon day sun in SL at 11pm at night.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It varies for me. I tend to use shared environment, so I can see regions as they were intended. If I'm working on somethhing, I'll use midday. 

I do love day/night cycles, though! I even have some audio environments I've used in the past that change sounds depending on the time of day.

My current skybox, though, I have set to be used in the "no light" windlight. 

Can't imagine it'd be a good idea to get rid of day/night cycles. 

• Like 1

I like having a day/night cycle. I made a 24 EEP day cycle that my sister and I use at home, It was set up to follow the same day/night rhythm we have where we live IRL, I have one for each season too that we add when that season starts so the day/night length follows closely to RL.

• Like 1

Unless I’m taking a picture or moving things around at my home I keep my environment on midnight or blizzard or something similar.  I can’t do the bright daytime light constantly.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Codex Alpha said:

I tend to default to MidDay for most tasks, but at the same time, I'd prefer if the Environment Settings would match my RL time. It seems more immersive to me when it's the same perceived time in SL and RL. Also probably really important to not mess up your natural circadian rythmns by being in noon day sun in SL at 11pm at night.

That is a good feature idea. Propose it!

Could be a setting you set per parcel with like a real world time zone or just an option for yourself like the regular environment options.

• Like 2

Visuals are not important to 99% of residents, PBR, Mesh, Sculpties, Prims, heck avatars themselves are all pretentious nonsense created by tech enthusiast nerds. Watching a virtual sunset? Load of rubbish. Nobody cares about how the virtual sky looks or the virtual ground. We don't need all that to have a good time.

All this nonsense does is drive up the computing requirements that get between residents and chatting.

I say lets remove our avatars entirely, land, the marketplace, the whole 3d world. Derender it all, chuck it out the door. We'll just fullscreen the local chat window in its place. Our residents are so imaginative that we can roleplay and imagine more fantastical environments through our minds anyway! It'll be great :)

And then, what we could do is add live streaming to our new de-bloated chat app, so we can watch our friends explore other, better looking worlds!

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Visuals are not important to 99% of residents, PBR, Mesh, Sculpties, Prims, heck avatars themselves are all pretentious nonsense created by tech enthusiast nerds. Watching a virtual sunset? Load of rubbish. Nobody cares about how the virtual sky looks or the virtual ground. We don't need all that to have a good time.

All this nonsense does is drive up the computing requirements that get between residents and chatting.

I say lets remove our avatars entirely, land, the marketplace, the whole 3d world. Derender it all, chuck it out the door. We'll just fullscreen the local chat window in its place. Our residents are so imaginative that we can roleplay and imagine more fantastical environments through our minds anyway! It'll be great :)

And then, what we could do is add live streaming to our new de-bloated chat app, so we can watch our friends explore other, better looking worlds!

Even in Sansar, which could house up to 4 square kilometers? Of world space, found people pretty much standing around in a 6m space tops, talking and carrying on. How people think people will use something is different than actually HOW people will use it. It's also seen in SL a lot... people congregate with other people in relatively small spaces - as the rest goes to waste or really just becomes a backdrop to their socializing.

32 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Did you forget to use the sarcasm font?  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Codex Alpha said:

Even in Sansar, which could house up to 4 square kilometers? Of world space, found people pretty much standing around in a 6m space tops, talking and carrying on. How people think people will use something is different than actually HOW people will use it. It's also seen in SL a lot... people congregate with other people in relatively small spaces - as the rest goes to waste or really just becomes a backdrop to their socializing.

I was impressed by the scale of Sansar, whatever issues it had otherwise. SL seems tiny by comparison. There was an older virtual world that was supposedly going to be a competitor to SL, Blue Mars, and it also had massive spaces. It did not go well ultimately. It is still around according to the website, and even has a mobile client, but it never really caught on. One of the reasons people congregate in small spaces as well is because of the stupid chat range limitation, which I have never understood. Yeah you can use the repeaters, etc.. but it is a weird experience. We should have sim wide chat as an option, and parcel wide chat as well. People do like to communicate, but need to stick in a small area to be able to talk as a group.

• Thanks 1

I love the day cycle.  It makes everything feel more real, and make builds more interesting, when you can see things in different lighting conditions.  It's cool to sail an old route, that you usually sail during the day, but then do it at sunset, and everything just looks nicer.

Also, my RL style of photography is all about shooting things as I find them, because I do long exposure night photography, for fun.  I don't try to change the lighting, anywhere.  I try to capture it, as I find it.  The day cycle in SL inspires me to shoot more like I do in RL.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

been there, done that, its called internet relay chat

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
shortened quote

I love day/night cycle, but I wish the grid had more than just a 4 hour cycle. I know it's supposed to be 2 hours day 2 hours night, but I swear the nights feel longer.

The mainland day night cycle is indeed 4 hours long. In recent years a new region/parcel setting was added that allows day/night cycles to be up to a week long.

I wonder what the ideal mainland daycycle length would be, if made today. Accounting for things like when people log in, how people use SL etc.

In my own sim I settled on having a week long day cycle, where the entirety of Friday is a 'night' day and the rest are more like regular days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Extrude Ragu said:

The mainland day night cycle is indeed 4 hours long. In recent years a new region/parcel setting was added that allows day/night cycles to be up to a week long.

I wonder what the ideal mainland daycycle length would be, if made today. Accounting for things like when people log in, how people use SL etc.

In my own sim I settled on having a week long day cycle, where the entirety of Friday is a 'night' day and the rest are more like regular days.

I would play with those settings too, but I do like being on the same time as the region mainly because my sim has linden land that cuts through the middle of it

16 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

To misquote Charleton Heston... "You'll have to prise my blue alien avatar from my cold dead hands!!" 👽

Depends on what you want your experience to be. Set the EEP on the parcel how you like it and enjoy your pink Martian skies, or constant-starlight deep-space skybox.

I'd say there's a case for making LDPW madlands be consistent with only gradual changes as you travel, but outside of that, it's your parcel/region/estate. Do whatever.

• Like 2

Under no circumstances should SL have a constant daylight!!!!!!!!! Seriously, I'd be pissed if this were to be enacted. I love the day cycle. I love watching the sunrise and the sunset. I love seeing the stars at night. It's just way too easy to set the windlight/EEP as you like to go changing the day cycle. Even when using custom EEPs I use those that have a day cycle. I want the day to progress. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Under no circumstances should SL have a constant daylight!!!!!!!!! Seriously, I'd be pissed if this were to be enacted. I love the day cycle. I love watching the sunrise and the sunset. I love seeing the stars at night. It's just way too easy to set the windlight/EEP as you like to go changing the day cycle. Even when using custom EEPs I use those that have a day cycle. I want the day to progress. 

I would love some good EEPs that have a day cycle, bc I only have a few. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Ocean Ocean said:

I love day/night cycle, but I wish the grid had more than just a 4 hour cycle. I know it's supposed to be 2 hours day 2 hours night, but I swear the nights feel longer.

I know it can be made longer through EEP if you own the land, on FS at least. My sister and I have a 24 hour cycle running on ours. I don't know about if you don't own the land though.

Edited by MissSweetViolet
Forgot a word.

5 hours ago, MissSweetViolet said:

I know it can be made longer through EEP if you own the land, on FS at least. My sister and I have a 24 hour cycle running on ours. I don't know about if you don't own the land though.

I would but like I already said linden infrastructure runs through the middle of my sim so that would not work out. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 87 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.