How would you describe Second Life to someone who doesn't know anything about it?

I call it a virtual world in which 99% of the content is made by users,... " so there is Adult content too." 

A couple weeks ago I was in SL with my avatar, shopping for clothes. I was at a public library, and a little girl asked me if that was Roblox. I told her it was Second Life, which is kind of similar, but for adults.

A few days later, I was in SL shopping for fantasty skins while in a Starbucks in RL. An adult man asked me what game this was. I told him it's a virtual would called Second Life, in which 99 % of the content is made by other users. His next question was, "Can they be naked?" My answer was, "yes". Then he asked me again what the name of the game was so he could look it up. 😆 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

A few days later, I was in SL shopping for fantasty skins while in a Starbucks in RL. An adult man asked me what game this was. I told him it's a virtual would called Second Life, in which 99 % of the content is made by other users. His next question was, "Can they be naked?" My answer was, "yes". Then he asked me again what the name of the game was so he could look it up. 😆 

Myes, i see  so they CAN be naked.  

* downloads for scientific purposes *

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I recently went into a long explanation for someone I know, but I'll leave off all the detail and just say that it is like a big sandbox with portions 'owned' by specific people who can customize their area, and while people call it a game it is an online social environment. I also described how the interface screams 'early aughts' and how everything is clunky, arcane, and complicated, and that my understanding is that most new users just give up and quit.

I always start by explaining the difference between a virtual world where people live a second life and playing virtual games. Because people who know little or nothing about SL quickly confuse the two. In games, there is one creator, or rather an organisation or group that has created the entire virtual world in which you can have adventures. In SL, YOU can be the creator. Everything you see here is - unlike in games - created by the participants, the residents themselves. Also, there are no or little fixed rules and you don't live here within the confines of, say, an adventure game. You not only create your own world here, you also create your own adventure.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Depends on the person.  I am eager to sell it well; so to some I would emphasize the lack of impediments and obstacles to walking or flying or driving or boating or feelings of freedom in the world; to others I would emphasize that quarantine is a cinch and a breeze with Second Life.  To still others I would emphasize all the great stuff that doesn't cost anything; and to still others I would emphasize all the cool stuff you can pay for to do and have.  But what FIRST captured my imagination many years ago was the immersion in specific fandoms:  and I would still emphasize this and say to the person that if you're currently passionate about a book or a movie franchise and want to spend your free time further immersed in it, this is the place to be.  Join or start a group and dive in.   What is Second Life but an immersive experience: Second Life is a place for your emotions.

Edited by Hymn Celestia
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2024 at 7:10 PM, Koko Carlucci said:

I'm not trying to start a debate; I'm just curious about the different opinions users may have about what Second Life is. How would you describe it?

That's exactly what a debate is. But mostly its where a bunch of men and women come online and spend time doing things that they say they can't do in RL but they really can.  As far as I can tell, from my experience it's also where lonely men come and hit on women to find a RL partner.  YMMV.

Edited by Kathlen Onyx

25 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

That's exactly what a debate is. But mostly its where a bunch of men and women come online and spend time doing things that they say they can't do in RL but they really can.  As far as I can tell, from my experience it's also where lonely men come and hit on women to find a RL partner.  YMMV.

This sort of place isn't where you come to find an RL partner, it's where you come to meet B*tSh*t crazy, with all the short term benefits such an interaction generally provides.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JacksonBollock said:

This sort of place isn't where you come to find an RL partner, it's where you come to meet B*tSh*t crazy, with all the short term benefits such an interaction generally provides.

Tell that to the men I meet that seem to fall in love in 4 days and start talking about how they want to be with me in RL.  Even a disclaimer in my profile doesn't deter them!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Kathlen Onyx said:

Tell that to the men I meet that seem to fall in love in 4 days and start talking about how they want to be with me in RL.  Even a disclaimer in my profile doesn't deter them!

Yeah ok, maybe "B*tSh*t Crazy" is an equal opportunity employer :D

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I never talk with other people in RL about Second Life ever. I don't want them around in SL as well.

same. Last thing I want is to hanging out in a virtual world with people I already meet with in my RL

on the few times I do get into a convo about online games and SL comes up then I just say is pretty much about making stuff and lots of old people. After that is only old people creatives who want to talk more about it. And is no surprise when they say they already know about SL

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I never talk with other people in RL about Second Life ever. I don't want them around in SL as well.

I do talk about SL in RL, in fact I've shown a few people my interactions on these boards.

Truthfully though, there's no real worry about them also joining SL.

Not so much as a result of the Forums, just more it has a really big PR mountain still to climb.

Edited by JacksonBollock
a bit harsh

I don't recruit friends and family to SL, and very few people know that I'm here. As Sid says, I'd rather not have them in SL, no matter how close I feel to them in RL.  SL is my world, and I come here to be me in a second life -- an alternative time track.  This is a world for creating things, being an entrepreneur in a limited way, exploring strange-looking places and admiring what other people have created. And it's a place to relax, chat, and dance with people who I will never meet in RL.  It really is like stepping into a quirky "What if" alternative existence with mostly familiar rules, different physics, and new people.

• Like 2