So what changed in the Terms of Service?

5 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Or, just in case they decide to skip that lesson, how about non-removable modesty layers on all new avatars, it's good enough for child avatars after all.  It would be easier to implement since LL themselves supply the avatar to new residents when they first log in and would prevent accidental nudity and protect new users from running afoul of rules they aren't yet aware of.

I think that's a great idea...  finding a skin could be a learning experience if they don't want to stay that way. You know after they get that box off their head.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Chery Amore said:

I think that's a great idea...  finding a skin could be a learning experience if they don't want to stay that way. You know after they get that box off their head.

Well since it will never happen I don't have to argue that is a silly idea. :)

• Like 3

Just now, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

You never know it might also inadvertently improve the quality of conversation you get during IM's from random strangers?!

Just now, Chery Amore said:

Someone will be along shortly to remind us that the only reason people join SL is for sex, and that this would kill new signups.

(And to at least a degree they'd likely be correct.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Grayson Blakewell said:

As said before, the problem is far bigger than LL have realized. Second Life was never directed to be a sexual explicit place

Ah yes, you're one of those "Captain Oldbies" who think SSL is supposed to be a place for smug middle class middle managers to stand around having "high brow" pseudo-intellectual conversations about Hegelian Dialectic, in virtual art galleries, while listening to utterly dreadful improvisational Jazz, as a way to pas the time between the busines-2-busssiness executive teleconference power meetings, and wasting their time on pathetic attempts at "virtual education".

Heads up, that "Golden Vision" died about 30 seconds after the doors were opened to the public when the first two real customers exchanged the first smutty IM, asking "Ur hawt! ASL? Voice? Cam? Skype? Nude selfies by email? Rawr!".

Go check the MP, and see what percentage of the merchandise sold is A rated. Check gridsurrvey, and see what percentage of the grid is Adult rated, and learn that without the Adult Economy, SL would have closed down about a decade and a half ago.

Besides this was what Zindra was for, why are people not using and crying for Adult rated lands

They are, and have been ever since LL decided to not bother finishing the building of Zindra. Do TRY and keep up with what's been happening in the 17 years since you last bothered to pay attention to what's happening in Sl..

dressed like they came from an all night gimp sex orgy

So you are saying you think wearing a LATEX dress should be an Abuse Reportable offence?

Do you "Fun Hating Puritan Killjoy Concerned Vigilante Citizen Crusader Bigot" much these days?

Asking for a friend.

Wrong, you be surprised. Its mostly the adult perverts from the sex regions approaching children looking for another thrill. Do get your facts correct. 

Facts ? Actually, if you HAD been paying attention during the last 17 years, you'd know that G & M rated areas and the people who loiter there, are the ones most likely to perve-IM total strangers.

You go to an M rated store that sells women's lingerie, and there's some vanilla perve who wouldn't DREAM of going to that "filthy Zindra place", loitering there holding a cheap scripted guitar prop, and IMing the female customers asking for a "date".

You go to the Hair Fair, and while you are wandering around shopping for hair, you get an IOM from some self proclaimed "normal guy who isn't one of those Zindra perves" telling you he's bored and demanding you entertain him in his M rated skybox, then calling you a "wh*re" and threatening to "kill you" when you say no.

Realistically, it's you "normal" people who are the menace. We perves prefer to stay in Zindra as much as possible, because we know you "normal" people are too blatantly hypocritical to come and annoy us there.

But thanks for sharing. While you're waiting for the techs to refurbish your cryogenic Time Capsule for another 17 year nap, why not take advantage of the Forum Coffee Shop, and leave the threads to people who have been awake for the last 17 years.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Someone will be along shortly to remind us that the only reason people join SL is for sex, and that this would kill new signups.

5 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Go check the MP, and see what percentage of the merchandise sold is A rated. Check gridsurrvey, and see what percentage of the grid is Adult rated, and learn that without the Adult Economy, SL would have closed down about a decade and a half ago.

The timing of these posts is pure gold!

Edited by Fluffy Sharkfin
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

True that.

But if LL creates a problem that diminishes the quality of so many users experiences they need to make an effort to remedy it through proper definitions and education.

Imagine if child avatars could hardly go anywhere due to freaked out region owners.

This is what happened the last time - owners threw up walls against anyone who looked remotely childlike, fairly disenfranchising the entire youth community on SL.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Starberry Passion said:

Yeah, the average Asian woman is 5'1" to 5'2" average breast size is A cup to B cup, just like global average

and compared to U.S. women, who average at 177Lbs, Asian women average around 122Lbs

American Women, however, isn't that taller on Average because the average American woman is 5'3" 5'4".

Japan, however, is Ranked at 118 in height, while America is I think 47?

I think we should stop this part of the discussion on perceived age vs. ethnicity. We're all part of the human race. The concept of "race" as defining subgroups of humans is faulty.

Lighter skin shows the aging effect of exposure to sunlight more, which is why white/ Caucasian people get wrinkles easier. Smoking and worrying alot can also create more wrinkles. 

Americans, Europeans, or "Western" people are not just white people though. If you want to use geography to define ethnicity, real Americans would be indigenous people, not the decendents of Europeans or others who came to the Americas later. European-Americans are not more American than other ethnicities.

Perceived age is an intrinsically subjective value too. A person of Japanese ethnicity probably has no problem judging the age of another person of Japenese ethnicity. Someone who is less familiar with Japanese facial features is more likely to misjudge their age, however. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I think we should stop this part of the discussion on perceived age vs. ethnicity. We're all part of the human race. The concept of "race" as defining subgroups of humans is faulty.

Lighter skin shows the aging effect of exposure to sunlight more, which is why white/ Caucasian people get wrinkles easier. Smoking and worrying alot can also create more wrinkles. 

Americans, Europeans, or "Western" people are not just white people though. If you want to use geography to define ethnicity, real Americans would be indigenous people, not the decendents of Europeans or others who came to the Americas later. European-Americans are not more American than other ethnicities.

Perceived age is an intrinsically subjective value too. A person of Japanese ethnicity probably has no problem judging the age of another person of Japenese ethnicity. Someone who is less familiar with Japanese facial features is more likely to misjudge their age, however. 

I don't know what you're talking about, never said anything, in that post that I replied with, about age. The person said that Japanese women were usually smaller and I stated facts about it that confirmed it. Never said anything about their facial features or age, in that particular post.

Edited by Starberry Passion

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I absolutely agree with pretty much everything you just said, I do however think LL should internally have this discussion and take into account statistics for comparative people in various age groups from different ethnicities when defining whatever guidelines they set out.

I'm simply trying to avoid the topic because it's really going to derail the thread and probably violate a few forum rules in the process.

• Like 2

All of our telomeres get shorter by the year, each replication diminishes them bit by bit, and as a result it is believed the reason we physically age.  I also think that is the reason why cloning animals is why they age prematurely.  Some people are blessed with great genetics, most are not.  When people say Asians age less, all I need to do is go to a google search, and lo and behold they don't really look that much younger than any other ethnicity.  Same with any other ethnicity, it is all kind of an unfortunate reality.  

This brings into mind another subject entirely, where Millennials are now looking at Gen Z as aging prematurely, there are a lot of arguments out there.  It is pretty wild, people in their twenties are thought to be in their 40s now, by some.  People are arguing it is stress, some say it is vaping, others say it is the outfits they wear, the makeup.  I've heard that products that are meant to prevent aging are to blame as well.

But for comedy's sake, I will leave this here because I always found it hilarious

/me jumps into a vat of pearl cream

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Well, you DID post a picture of your allegedly "21 year old" avatar almost naked, on the forum, while defending your right not to get banned for visiting A rated land.

I believe that's sometimes considered "Advertising".

Where did I do that?   I don't even know how to post a picture to this forum before a few minutes ago in a private message to someone. 

Edited by Madi Melodious
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

Where did I do that?   I don't even know how to post a picture to this forum before a few minutes ago in a private message to someone. 

Don't heart me in my own post.   You just accused me of doing something I know is impossible for me to do, now prove it.  Links or apologize.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Well maybe you missed it but I've been mentioning teens and tweens from the start, intentionally separating them from the "child" designation as people often clump them together.

Maybe that has to do with the RL laws. In my country, even with consent of both actors: any sexual penetration with someone under 14 is considered statutory rape. Adults having sexual intercourse with those between 14 & 16 may be prosecuted for molestation. Between 16 & 18, it's allowed under parental authority, but age difference between the 2 may not exceed 3 years, plus parents may intervene if they think the sexual relationship is harming the minor.

9 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

time for me to go again :)  ... let's see if we hit the 150 in the (my)  morning when i'm back

( i lowered the expectation a bit by seeing it slow down a little compared to yesterday)

wow 158 ...  :)   you worked hard!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Without wanting to dwell too long on the subject of sim ejections, etc. it is interesting to note the contrast in opinions on how LL governance approaches such issues.

On the one hand you have people here trying to reassure child avatars that LL won't be indiscriminately banning people for "accidents" and will carefully consider the evidence, then on the other you have adult sim owners automatically banning anyone beneath a certain height out of fear that LL will ban them for being in proximity of child avatars without any consideration of facts or circumstance.

Height detectors have been a thing on a lot of sims for years though, as have adult sim owners ejecting child and non-human avatars. My avatar is usually a bit shorter than a height detector allows, so I have been caught out by them over the years, and just avoided those sims that used those devices, they are usually poorly moderated to be resorting to doing that anyway. Child and child-like avatars won't be going to adult sims if they follow the rules, so nothing should change for them unless they try to do the wrong thing. They can even change their settings to be sure they don't end up in an adult sim by mistake.

• Like 3

Just now, Stephanie Misfit said:

Height detectors have been a thing on a lot of sims for years though, as have adult sim owners ejecting child and non-human avatars. My avatar is usually a bit shorter than a height detector allows, so I have been caught out by them over the years, and just avoided those sims that used those devices, they are usually poorly moderated to be resorting to doing that anyway. Child and child-like avatars won't be going to adult sims if they follow the rules, so nothing should change for them unless they try to do the wrong thing. They can even change their settings to be sure they don't end up in an adult sim by mistake.

I think the concern is more that people will install them en masse as a knee-jerk reaction to not fully understanding the changes in TOS, but of course you're absolutely right that it isn't exactly anything new for SL.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

I'd hope that LL would take steps to inform them of rules pertaining to behaviour based on maturity rating while they're in the initial starting area and, preferably, before they have a chance to get naked? 😅

They will put up a sign .. in a field of signs .. that no one will read .. just like no one is reading the new ToS they all click "OK".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Ok. If you ever see kids in your neighborhood, be sure to put them on your ban list, or go one better and put everyone with a home in your region on your ban list.

(Zali should be proud of me for suggesting that. 😆)

I can't imagine we'd be very busy with reporting, i have a home on Belli nearly from start, and on lots of places because i like the GOH, ... the times i really seen people come by my home are less than my ten fingers, perhaps one time a kid, just on a bike passing in the streets.
We don't need to be scared by the thought we'r going to be writing abuse reports for hours every time we log in. If any ever.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

They will put up a sign .. in a field of signs .. that no one will read .. just like no one is reading the new ToS they all click "OK".

Well I guess it's modesty layers for everyone then! 🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Can you imagine a little test, after reading the TOS.  The only way to enter SL is via a passing score.  🤣

What is the minimum height requirement?

A: 5'10

B: 4'11

C: 7'

D: None

Who is responsible for ensuring the avatar has Sacred Garments?
A: The land owner.

B: The resident.

C: Linden Labs.

D: I don't care.

If a train travelling at 72 km/h is to be brought to rest at a distance of 200 m then its retardation should be :

Edited by Istelathis
A gotcha question: E: Linden Lab
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

9 hours ago, Vanity Fair said:

And again, Linden Lab has learned nothing.

i heared , from a friend... coughs...and i'm not so sure this plan is comming from LL alone. Other sites with adult themes are going to do that also, forced by laws that they nééd to verify they provide their content to adults only.

• Like 2