Sky box

How are you putting it out?

Are you using a thing that you rez on the ground and then click a script to move it to where you want it?

If so, and the skybox is one that was made around 20 or so years ago - when SL was new the max height was very low, and then even for years after it was moved to 4000 you used to need a script to be able to get above 160 that people would call a flight feather. If you skybox is from 2009 or earlier, give or take a year or so because my memory on this very rough... it might still have those old limits.

To get around that... if the skybox is just a box without inside pre-set furniture you can just manually edit it to where you want it.

If it's a prefab - you can MAYBE rez a prim, sit on that prim and edit it to how high you want to be, then edit the prim to be bigger - so that when you when you stand up you don't fall off. Now you should be able to rez your skybox up there where you are, and then delete that prim once you're done. Unless your skybox has a script to move it self back down - it will stay there.

If you have a friend who's experienced with SL they can help with this because it's a lot less complicated than my explanation probably sounds.

• Like 2

Go to Edit the skybox (if it's all one linked object). Under the Object tab, change the z coordinate to the height you want it to go to.

Note, this will be the height of the root prim of the skybox. For my own skyboxes I use the floor prim as the root prim, so I can easily teleport 1 meter above it and then land on the floor.

31 minutes ago, illxsionz said:

I finally figured it out lol just made a platform and did it that way appreciate the help 

Ya, I make my platform on the ground the size of my land, then send it up 4000 meters..

Then I rez a box and sit on it and send it up 4005 meters.. Because flying up that high sucks..hehehe

Then set it as my home.

The build and rez limit is 4096, but I think you can  still raise things up higher than that if they are already rezzed..:)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

If you are using Firestorm you simply type "gth 4005" in the chat and you are automatically up at 4005m.

Damn, That Firestorm never ceases to amaze me!! \o/

Thank you!

Now I have to go and kick myself in the butt for about 15 minutes for not knowing that all this time..

Won't be the first time I had to do that, just in the past year.. hehehe

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

If you are using Firestorm you simply type "gth 4005" in the chat and you are automatically up at 4005m.

And then  rez plat in local if you want a platform to rez stuff on

Oh and don't forget to Fly first before you gth 4005

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I think gth and rezplat work on the SL viewer, don't they.

Of course not.
The LL viewer is a civilized viewer.  :D

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

And then  rez plat in local if you want a platform to rez stuff on

Oh and don't forget to Fly first before you gth 4005

I knew about that one.. hehehe

I just like to get  right up to just before the land lines of my parcel, to where I know I don't go over into the persons space next door.. Plus i have to rez like 4 of them.. so it's easier for me to do that on the ground than up in the air.. I hate going over the line and don't have the confidence to pull it off way up there.. lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I think gth and rezplat work on the SL viewer, don't they?

55 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Of course not.
The LL viewer is a civilized viewer.  :D

@Linden Lab, what is wrong with your viewer creators? Don't you know that players love cheat codes for their games?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

@Linden Lab, what is wrong with your viewer creators? Don't you know that players love cheat codes for their games?

And THAT is why they didn't add any, because they HATE the people that use their viewer.

If nobody used the Fail-Viewer, they wouldn't have to work so hard doing constant hotfix patches on it.

*walks off whistling innocently*

• Haha 2

You can also just use the world map to go to any height. Open the map, change the height and hit teleport, I think any viewer can use the world map. I’ve never used Firestorm so I don’t know anything about that viewer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Teagan Tobias said:

You can also just use the world map to go to any height. Open the map, change the height and hit teleport, I think any viewer can use the world map. I’ve never used Firestorm so I don’t know anything about that viewer.

I just change the Z number in the address bar and hit enter......

(you can do that in the standard viewer too)

image.png.f213a8e3ca00f269ffb7db029850fc16.png

Edited by Anna Salyx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I know the OP has fixed their issue but I just want to mention that on FS (not sure about other viewers), there is a setting in the Build menu in Preferences that limits how far you can drag objects, which includes dragging them via the edit arrows.

It's "Limit Drag Distance" - and if it is enabled (can't remember if it is on by default or not) then you wont be able to move any object further than that limit unless you actually type in the co-ordinates directly.

• Thanks 1

I've had a  few neighbors who didn't seem to know how to build in higher altitudes.  I usually rent a parcel on the mainland and whenever I have built a skybox a new neighbor will rent next door and build a skybox right next to mine. I think they are using my skybox as a place to rez and build their own home in the parcel next to me. This has happened a few times with different avatars of mine. Thankfully they are not online at the same time but it gets awkward when they are.

• Haha 1