A Moan about BIG HUDs

Anna Nova

I visited BumbleBee for the first time today.  And demoed a few things.  I like the clothes, but the HUDs...

... quarter-screen sized and non-resizable.

I've moaned to several stores about this.

Stop covering up the very thing I'm trying to dress!!!!.

I wish SL viewers would let us have the HUDs on a separate window.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Yep - I wish the viewers could have a lot of things on separate windows, especially since I have two monitors attached. I get the impression that some developers have huge, ultra-wide monitors so don't see the issue of large HUDs.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

I visited BumbleBee for the first time today.  And demoed a few things.  I like the clothes, but the HUDs...

Agree 100%. Thankfully for everyone doing the huge HUDs (and I could name several other vendors), there are at least an equal number doing it well. Neve and ISON come to mind in the doing it well side of things.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Adding, the big HUDs are thankfully plopped in the left-center of your screen.  Similar to the unpacker HUDs which are dead center.

Wheee!!!

Unpacker HUDs in the center are fine, because it only takes one click to unpack, then you can detach them. One thing that bugs me though is unpacker HUDs that automatically unpack and then detach. No! I frequently just want to pull out one size or one thing from the package. I don't need multiple folders going into my inventory that I now have to delete.

Another thing I hate is unpacker and texture HUDs that attach to the upper left or central left, where my body and head HUDs attach. Even if one doesn't constantly wear these, one needs their body HUD on while trying on clothes and dressing, in order to use the alpha cuts. I try to remind myself to always Add HUDs, but still, clothing creators should know that mesh body and head HUDs usually attach to the upper left.

What's best is resizable HUDs, so if we need bigger text and buttons, we can stretch them out or shrink them if they're taking up too much space.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Unpacker HUDs in the center are fine, because it only takes one click to unpack, then you can detach them. One thing that bugs me though is unpacker HUDs that automatically unpack and then detach. No! I frequently just want to pull out one size or one thing from the package. I don't need multiple folders going into my inventory that I now have to delete.

Another thing I hate is unpacker and texture HUDs that attach to the upper left or central left, where my body and head HUDs attach. Even if one doesn't constantly wear these, one needs their body HUD on while trying on clothes and dressing, in order to use the alpha cuts. I try to remind myself to always Add HUDs, but still, clothing creators should know that mesh body and head HUDs usually attach to the upper left.

What's best is resizable HUDs, so if we need bigger text and buttons, we can stretch them out or shrink them if they're taking up too much space.

It would be nice if there was a way to attach something but set scripts to "not running" first.  

Or some convention like, if you don't attach it in the default place, don't automatically unpack.  Or, don't unpack without the user clicking it first.

• Like 4

I don't mind larger huds as I've gotten older.  Resizable ones would be better, though.  What I do hate is when it's a 2 piece outfit with 2 huds but they attach to the same exact spot.  Not that it's all that hard to move them.  Top, on top left and Bottom on the bottom left or whatever but sheesh.  How hard is it to do that when you make the outfit?  

• Like 8

It's gotten to the point that I'm in that group who really benefit from larger HUDs. I oftentimes have to move them though as they aren't positioned where I'd like them, but that's really easy to do. Would be nice to have the option for a regular size or large size though, and a button on the HUD to resize would be ideal.

• Like 3

My personal preference would be for more HUDS to employ multiple "screens" that you scroll through.  This would mean each screen could be large enough to be easily readable, without needing the HUD to take up half your screen. 

There's a brand of hair I often wear, and their colour hud takes up the entire right hand side of my screen - for me it would be much better if they just grouped each colour set (blondes, browns, reds etc) on their own, then you scroll through the HUD until you get the section you want.

• Like 6

Oh I have found my people!!

I like HUDs where I can actually see what's on the buttons anymore, but screen real estate is precious.  I think my favorite HUDds are the ones from Semller, because they're resizable.  I pump those suckers up until they take up half my screen.  It's kind of annoying, but at least I can see what I'm doing and once I have my shoes colored the way I want them, the HUD never has to come out again.  And yes, my head HUD is cranked up to max size, and I use the embiggened Legacy edit HUD when I'm wearing that body.

Maitreya's HUD is an easy read; my only complaint is somehow the way I have attached it makes any time I try to cam directly onto my avatar, the hud obscures her and I have to wiggle my camera around and pan slightly to the side to be able to view her whole body.  Fortunately, though, those adjustments are pretty brief (for setting alphas, materials, or adjusting foot position generally) so my grumpy face doesn't last too long.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 11:19 AM, Claireschen Hesten said:

Big or small I'd much rather have a Hud i can read rather than a Hud where i'm left having to guess which part of the item i'm trying to texture/colour 

yeah agree. I have a hard time with lelutka hud sometimes

• Like 1

I have a number of HUDs which are attached all the time and are commonly saved as part of my outfits. Most are small, but the Maitreya HUD and the LeLutka HUD are always attached when wearing the body/head because there are some things I like to have at hand. Maitreya's minimised HUD is still pretty big, big enough to accomodate a little check box for ankle-lock without having to make several clicks to change that option. I have a separate ankle-lock HUD instead.

On the Maitreya HUD all I want to access are the alphas due the irritating auto-alpha function built-in to many clothes. If I could save alpha sets within the Maitreya body and export them to a single alpha attachment then that would be of benefit.

I wish LeLutka had a cut-down version of their HUD just for animations, so I'm not lugging the ins-and-outs of a ducks 4rse around all the time. Snow Rabbit has a separate setup/layer HUD and animation HUD. Far more convenient and thoughtful as I like to have facial animations at hand.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, CandyCole said:

On the Maitreya HUD all I want to access are the alphas due the irritating auto-alpha function built-in to many clothes. If I could save alpha sets within the Maitreya body and export them to a single alpha attachment then that would be of benefit.

This is why I will not buy no-mod clothes containing the pre-V5 autoalpha  for Maitreya.  Even popular (and now defunct) Blueberry was still doing it.  The V5 autoalpha allows the user to mod the alpha cuts without the clothes having to be mod.  Still best not to buy no-mod clothes though.

• Like 3

On 4/24/2024 at 2:19 AM, Anna Nova said:

Especially when they have a hud for each item..

Hud for top, hud for bottom, hud for panties, hud for accessories..hud for bow, hud for extras.. hehehe

• Like 4

Complex mesh items should just publish their API (or whatever the equivalent is in SL speak) so we can make changes with chat commands, would be quite nice and reduce the need for certain HUDs that we're all told to not keep attached but most of us do anyway.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Complex mesh items should just publish their API (or whatever the equivalent is in SL speak) so we can make changes with chat commands, would be quite nice and reduce the need for certain HUDs that we're all told to not keep attached but most of us do anyway.

The very best solution of all.  We could even have an after-market in 'better' huds.  Hey, LL, make it a rule!

• Like 1

I feel it.
I've got a 21:9 Screen at 3440x1440pixels. But most Huds are way too Big and have too much Buttons and Scripts. 
Like the new Hud from the P. Not only me, but way more Dudes hate it, but the designers dont want do do anything against it. Thats sad...