Did you (re)discover any music because of Second Life?

I have discovered and rediscovered music tracks as a result of using Second Life.

For example, I heard "Rollin'" by Limp Biskit in an SL club, and while I passing familiarity with the song before, I really began to appreciate it and listen to it more after hearing it at the club.

• Like 4

Years ago, a friend in SL introduced me to The Mars Volta. I probably would never have heard them if it weren't for SL, as I only really listen to metal and classical music. They became one of my favourite bands and I traveled to see them live.

• Like 3

I may have been introduced to a few bands which I still listen to now, but mostly no... I actually stopped caring what music second lifers listen to because it was 80s 99% of the time . How many times can you listen to the same sub 100 songs on 40+ years ? They'll tell you forever.  Meanwhile I'm over here getting angry if I hear the same song in the same week. Pandora , Spotify and YouTube  have expanded my musical tastes  far more than the limited selection of 80s that second life people think never get played out .  I got tired of the " crowd favorites " and would even choose " deep cuts " or lesser favorites songs just to find even more variety . 

There is ALWAYS good music being made , despite the crippling belief of the old timers that THEIR generations music was the only good music  . You just have to actually put some effort into finding it . And by effort, I usually mean no more than getting past the first 30 seconds of new songs you hear without immediately turning it off because it wasn't the same thing you listened to for 40 years . This is in a general sense of course .     

Edited by Midnoot
  • Like 2

All the time. I’ll hear a new (to me) song at a club then go find it on youtube.

Another good source of new songs is youtube shorts ( i refuse to use tic toc) There was one song being used in a lot of dog videos that i ended up looking it up.

Wings by Birdy. Its now one of my faves.

😁

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added stuff
  • Like 2

LOADS 🎵🤩 So much through clubs like Transmission, which mostly played post-punk or 60s garage, or The Velvet. There was a Japanese-run night called Girls In The Garage and I think I downloaded 50% of each set afterwards, it was so good...and they never seemed to run out of tunes. One of the first times I went to Transmission, the DJ said hi and dedicated this to me 😍

SL is the first place I ever heard "Coda Marine 475" by King Crimson and I was bombarding the DJ with IMs asking about it...it's now one of my favourite pieces of music ever and I think I would probably never have heard it without SL...you don't really hear this on UK radio...the DJ said "I knew you were a hippy at heart" xD

There was an interesting DJ at the Drunk Drow who used to play zydeco, which I'd never really heard except for in New Orleans, and it was brilliant, but he used to come on at 2am UK time on Wednesdays, so I never got to hear a full set...and someone who was always playing the latest witch house...so many, I could go on all day!

This is why I feel a bit 9_9 when people say "All clubs are the same, the DJs just click MP3s and nag people for tips!"...I remember people on SL playing all this amazing music just for the love of sharing it 🔥

• Like 4

Actually, no.

About 99% of my favorite music genres aren't really club-friendly, though some of it very much could be if anyone was willing to play it, so I wouldn't have heard it there. The industrial rock could be, but many DJs stick to the classic club hits for that - same as RL DJs, for the most part. Unless I request it, it ain't happening. I've never met a musically adventurous DJ with a huge catalog in any life, though they do absolutely exist in the real world (I watch them frequently on YouTube). That tends to be more of a DJ/producer thing, though - mixing their own tracks and tracks from others on and off their label. If they exist in SL, I haven't found them yet.

I'd have much better luck in SL's live music scene if there were any artists in there performing world fusion or international rap or something (are there?).

Anyhoo! Outside of clubs, I have gotten a few music recommendations from friends, but nothing I really stuck with. My music preferences are all over the map, quite literally, and pretty niche overall (niche for my part of the world, anyway), even though I like a LOT of bands/artists/projects/groups. They also skew quite dark, so outside of the occasional comedy music I love so much (Marc Rebillet, Reggie Watts, Harry Mack, etc.), much of my music is an entire moooooood. Not always! I love some booty-shakin' dembow, too, but...I do be likin' it kinda dark, I'm not gonna lie.

A common phrase I always say when someone recommends something to me - "what the hell is this happy ish, I need it darker!" 😆

• Like 2

A lot of early 90’s house music from one particular DJ at one particular furry dance club. Details will not be specified.

But it was super cool because this is all stuff I was just kinda aware that existed, but they started showing specific tracks and talking about the history of early house. I already had some experience with stuff of that era like Razormaid mixes which was all late 80’s and early 90’s house music, but learning about what else was going on at the time which was a lot more obscure was neat

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

What do you mean by "inner music"?

The music of "the spheres", music of "the heart", the music you hear when there is none playing, which cannot be written down, cannot be performed, only exists within the..

..I think you get it. 🙂

• Like 2

Lots of music. For years I have streamed music in SL, and encouraged others to. It is a great way to broaden experiences and share with others.

Hippie Bowman got me interested in sharing music here. I first heard other songs by War than Lowrider from his sets. Also Looking Glass - Brandy and more.

I posted this on another thread but a friend played this yesterday..totally new to me I thought it was the White Stripes... I was out by 30 years.

and Arjuna introduced me to this great song:

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 3

Also looking for music to play others in SL is a good inspiration to go exploring. I doubt I would have found Sona Jobarteh without having motivation to go looking for music to share.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 3

Oh gosh.  So much.  Paloma Faith, Iggy Azalea, Ghostland Observatory, Die Antwoord, Boomtown Rats, some funny one offs that are dirty but you can google if you want like “I Rock Onesies”.  & I never knew I liked KISS until hearing them in SL.  

• Like 1

Not through in-world activities, I think, unless subconsciously, but I've "actively rediscovered" as well as newly discovered some music through browsing the "What are you listening to?" forum thread. 🎶 

• Like 1

The kind of music I like in SL are the ones presented as a live performance with the singer as an avatar and playing a single instrument. It feels more immersive. Music played in clubs are just piped in music that I can hear on the internet. There was a song that used to be in many clubs that I liked but I never figured out what it was or rather I never searched for the name.

• Like 2