Forum Banned Word List

10 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Kinda hard to copy the post without the banned word if you don't know what the banned word is. I like what another person posted, if you write a banned word, you get a pop up saying this word isn't permitted.

Simple isn't it?

Again, smart people can probably figure it out. I'm pretty sure "house" is not a banned word. ;)

51 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:
1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

I want the name BilliJo banned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, and I thought you kinda sorta liked me 😂

I'm just teasing you!    :)

• Thanks 1

FYI, posts aren't blocked/under review for banned words.  This has already been discussed.  No one knows why some posts get that.  Banned words are censored as we've seen.   Many of us have had post reviewed and they contained nothing whatsoever that would have warranted one.  

• Thanks 3

Merchants have begged for years for the list of words that in a description would cause an item to get an adult rating and LL has refused to release leaving Merchants with the task of trial and error to find the offending word.   Back in the day of standard sizes they could not use XXX to describe a size.  XXX in a listing would get a Burka an adult rating.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

FYI, posts aren't blocked/under review for banned words.  This has already been discussed.  No one knows why some posts get that.  Banned words are censored as we've seen.   Many of us have had post reviewed and they contained nothing whatsoever that would have warranted one.  

I thought the "r-word" denoting sexual assault, in particular, could get a post set to "under review".

But otherwise yeah, it's been a very long time since one of my posts went to "under review".

6 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

RE 1984: Words represent ideas, eliminate the words, you eliminate the ideas.

On a side note, I'm amazed at how many people can no longer define "woman"

Easy "Y Chromosome deficient person".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Just remembered another, some people on other social sites use "corn" 🌽 even with the emoji, instead of the similar word starting with "p".

combined with 🍆 for a romantic dinner...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Just copy your post into a new post without the banned word and repost it. It will go through then.

This has only happened to me a couple of times. The first time I had no idea what word was the problem. It made no sense to me. I never use any words I think would be inappropriate. After review, the post was published as is. So the problem wasn't really that the word was inappropriate but that the auto review got it wrong. But had I been given a clue as to which word was the problem I could have used a different word.

The second time it happened, I had more experience with posting, and was able to guess which was the culprit. Still it would be nice if we had some kind of flag, like a spell check, to indicate which words are being questioned.

• Like 3

My understanding is that the "auto-review" process is to help prevent certain types of SPAM.  Since we also have the "1 minute wait between posts", I wonder how useful it is and whether we really need it.  I assume whatever word(s) trigger "auto-review" also would get redacted (unless it is a "phrase checker" and not for specific words).

12 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

RE 1984: Words represent ideas, eliminate the words, you eliminate the ideas.

On a side note, I'm amazed at how many people can no longer define "woman"

“But if thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought.”
― George Orwell, 1984

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If you can't say it on the Radio in the US, it's probably not an allowed word.

Ironically, it's more permissive than some platforms which require users to get creative and say things like "unalived" instead of "killed", etc.

I bet that if you try hard enough, you can get chastened for using words that are otherwise OK, but because you are off-topic, or use them in the "General" Forum. 

Interesting - when I lived in the True North (Strong and Free) I used to listen to radio from across the border and some of what I heard made my hair curl even after I shaved it all off (protip kids - just stick to the head)

Would be an interesting list but I reckon I could switch to Lapine - bunny is a great language for swearing (bonus - literary as well)

3 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

This has only happened to me a couple of times. The first time I had no idea what word was the problem. It made no sense to me. I never use any words I think would be inappropriate. After review, the post was published as is. So the problem wasn't really that the word was inappropriate but that the auto review got it wrong. But had I been given a clue as to which word was the problem I could have used a different word.

The second time it happened, I had more experience with posting, and was able to guess which was the culprit. Still it would be nice if we had some kind of flag, like a spell check, to indicate which words are being questioned.

in my case it was the word for non consensual carnal knowledge, the post was approved with that word censored out.

Live and learn 😁

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

“But if thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought.”
― George Orwell, 1984

'Nary a thought in most people's brains, these days!

People aren't bad, just their brains. 

15 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

in my case it was the word for non consensual carnal knowledge, the post was approved with that word censored out.

Live and learn 😁

Do you have questions on "why" that word is considered "bad"?

The simplest answer isn't really something like, "it would trigger people".

In my opinion, the most obvious answer is that people who are "having a really bad day" (have no self-control, are having an "episode", etc.) would use it to threaten others, as basically a form of "Forum griefing SPAM".  Taking that word away, removes that tool from the Forum SPAM Griefers.

I don't have a problem taking word away, after all - it is not a word which is "related" to Second Life, technically.

Unless somehow, that word is one of your favorites, I don't see the big deal in saying, "this is a bad word - don't use it on the Forum".

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In my opinion, the most obvious answer is that people who are "having a really bad day" (have no self-control, are having an "episode", etc.) would use it to threaten others, as basically a form of "Forum griefing SPAM".  Taking that word away, removes that tool from the Forum SPAM Griefers.

You could go even simpler than that - it's a G-rated forum. The adult section is the obvious exception, but there's not much need for us to be discussing that even there.

As far as needing a list goes, due to being a female version of Samuel L. Jackson under every day normal circumstances and having done some moderation work in the past, I already know exactly which words would get me clapped here. Same as anywhere else with chat filters - pretty easy to guess, really. It physically hurts sometimes to behave mahdamnself, but I manage it, somehow!

If I can type a paragraph without firing off a string of 17 different curses and colorful phrases, so can anyone. 😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

You could go even simpler than that - it's a G-rated forum. The adult section is the obvious exception, but there's not much need for us to be discussing that even there.

It WOULD be interesting if there are different word-filters in the Adult Forum.

9 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

As far as needing a list goes

I thought they OP just wanted a list because they got "butthurt" over being censored. 

10 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

If I can type a paragraph without firing off a string of 17 different curses and colorful phrases, so can anyone. 😂

Right, even Zal manages without actually cursing.

• Like 1

On an amateur radio board I'm on --- we have a banned word list posted in the Moderator room.  Some of the words are in the mboard's blacklist thing where the words get replaced by *****, and others are handled on a case by case basis.  Although unlike this board which belongs to the Lab, ours doesn't not belong to a corporation.

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

It WOULD be interesting if there are different word-filters in the Adult Forum.

Uhhhh...I don't think there would be (or could be, given the forum software - can it do that?). I don't hang out there enough to know, actually!

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I thought they OP just wanted a list because they got "butthurt" over being censored. 

I dunno, but chat filters are generally the same everywhere. Usually. If not auto-filtered, I'd expect moderation to slap me around for discussing that just about anywhere that's considered general audience.

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Right, even Zal manages without actually cursing.

I'm a million times worse. I embed curses within curses, invent curses, and if I'm really feeling spicy, swear in multiple languages.

I'm never going to forget the time I set an oooold version of Windows (3.1 or older, whatever it was back then - I was like 12 or 13 or maybe younger I dunno) to shout curses at ME when I opened the Start menu and whenever a popup showed up - audio clips from one of Richard Pryor's standup shows that I'd sampled just for funsies. I wonder if it's still possible to do that in the current Win 10/11...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1