BONUS item goes against TOS?

Hello good afternoon! I'm building a NEXT UP system for my store but I have some doubts. The system fits into the new rules of the old "gacha", but I would like to do something more and I came across something in the TOS that confused me, here's the excerpt:

Can I sell an item, and also then include an unknown random item attached as a bonus? For example, like a buy one, get one free (BOGO), but the free item is the random/unknown item.
No, this is not permitted.

My contact is due to this question, as I would like to include in my system a BONUS that each customer will be entitled to when purchasing a certain number of times. The idea is not to sell an already known item along with a random one, but when the person reaches the necessary level to earn the bonus they will receive a random item. Is this allowed?

I paid the premium to contact live support chat and resolve this issue, but the answer I got was that they cannot help me with this and that I should find out more here on the forum. They themselves don't understand the policy they create!

• Haha 2

Look at the intent of the rule. I would think what you're suggested would not be allowed.

Banning random is meant to curb gambling efforts and addictive purchasing.

People constantly trying to hit the target marker to get a random item in the hopes that they get the right random - that's problematic.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

Look at the intent of the rule. I would think what you're suggested would not be allowed.

Banning random is meant to curb gambling efforts and addictive purchasing.

People constantly trying to hit the target marker to get a random item in the hopes that they get the right random - that's problematic.

I understand. If I show what the prize will be, would I be free of problems?

Yeah having a non-random prize or even a "use this ticket to redeem for your choice of prize" would likely work as forms of 'loyalty programs".

However I'm just another resident, just like you. So these are just my guesses / opinions and not actual facts about the rules.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 5

Just now, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

Sim, ter um prêmio não aleatório ou mesmo "use este ingresso para resgatar o prêmio de sua escolha" provavelmente funcionaria como uma forma de 'programa de fidelidade'.

Thank you for your answer, it helped me in my decision! THANKS!

You can't show a group of ten possible prizes and then reward people with one of those prizes chosen randomly. Which is what a gacha does. As long as people know what they get with their purchase then it should be fine.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, prootoxy said:

like a buy one, get one free (BOGO), but the free item is the random/unknown item.

As long as the free item is the same for everyone, as Bree said, you should be fine.  Everyone, at each level, knows what they will receive.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

Yeah having a non-random prize or even a "use this ticket to redeem for your choice of prize" would likely work as forms of 'loyalty programs".

You could include a gift card with the purchase, so customers can spend it on whatever they want from your store. Salt and Pepper recently did this with a group gift.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, prootoxy said:

Hello good afternoon! I'm building a NEXT UP system for my store but I have some doubts. The system fits into the new rules of the old "gacha", but I would like to do something more and I came across something in the TOS that confused me, here's the excerpt:

Can I sell an item, and also then include an unknown random item attached as a bonus? For example, like a buy one, get one free (BOGO), but the free item is the random/unknown item.
No, this is not permitted.

My contact is due to this question, as I would like to include in my system a BONUS that each customer will be entitled to when purchasing a certain number of times. The idea is not to sell an already known item along with a random one, but when the person reaches the necessary level to earn the bonus they will receive a random item. Is this allowed?

I paid the premium to contact live support chat and resolve this issue, but the answer I got was that they cannot help me with this and that I should find out more here on the forum. They themselves don't understand the policy they create!

Why would the tell you to ask in forums?!?  Nothing said here is an official answer, unless answered by a linden. 

my opinion? Those things suck stop trying to bamboozle people

Edited by SpiritSparrow Skydancer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

You can't show a group of ten possible prizes and then reward people with one of those prizes chosen randomly. Which is what a gacha does. As long as people know what they get with their purchase then it should be fine.

I'm not so sure that would follow the TOS set up now. People would just buy buy buy till they get the random item they want.  

11 hours ago, prootoxy said:

in my system a BONUS that each customer will be entitled to when purchasing a certain number of times.

A gift card like mentioned above should be nice, or maybe "x% off on your next purchase after x purchases", but you should ask someone official, not on the forum, to make sure it's allowed. Oh, you did, well, just remember those are just random forum member suggestions, don't sue us if you try, and it's not allowed. ;)

• Like 3

18 hours ago, prootoxy said:

I got was that they cannot help me with this and that I should find out more here on the forum.

15 hours ago, SpiritSparrow Skydancer said:

Why would the tell you to ask in forums?!?  Nothing said here is an official answer, unless answered by a linden. 

Shocks ya when ya get that answer.  From support.  Asking whether a functionality is as intended.  So you can know if you should invest time in reporting something "broken".  Must be the plan for support's role. Because its happening.  

On OPs idea, it is flying a little too close to the sun/TOS.  This is supposed to be fun, not time spent inworld wondering if you're going to get dinged for breaking TOS.  I like the gift card idea.  :)

• Like 2

If your prize - any part of it is random like a different color of gumball out of a candy machine & you won't know what color you receive until you pay money?  Then you can not do it.  

If you want a blue gum ball and there are 37 red ones in the way to get to the one single blue one you can see- and know you can have said blue gumball if you first buy the other 37, then yes, you can do that.  & even if it's just a mystery prize and not the point of the purchase to begin with- you can not do that.  

The entirety of the purchase must be known.  

• Like 1

I find it hard to believe that people would put money into a gatcha machine hoping to get a “rare” item.

If i want something I will buy it, not play some silly gambling game hoping i get the version I really want.

Oh, its only available in a gatcha?

ill pass 😂

10 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I find it hard to believe that people would put money into a gatcha machine hoping to get a “rare” item.

If i want something I will buy it, not play some silly gambling game hoping i get the version I really want.

Oh, its only available in a gatcha?

ill pass 😂

People put money into slot machines, hoping to get a rare prize of a payoff all the time. Human psychology is weird.

• Like 3