Boost to LI

It's a common topic in the Linden Homes forum to ask about more LI.  If you haven't noticed this announcement, your LI now goes a little further.  To summarize, while your LI isn't going up, some of the objects that you rezz may have a lower LI.  I just checked my Linden Homes, and I gained about 20-25 LI per home.  It's not (Second) life changing, but as you all know, when it comes to decorating your Linden Home, every little bit helps.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Yes, it's nice.  I haven't done any reading to figure out how many probes the typical Belli home will need, tho, so planning to allocate 10 or so LI for those in the future??? Any ideas of how many one would typically use?

• Like 2

I did not gain much either at my PP home. I think that is because a lot of my mesh is unlinked 1 LI pieces and a rezzed object will never be less than 1 LI. (They were the type that were like 1.4 LI each and if you liked two the LI went from 2 to 3, so I left them unlinked). I was a bit surprised/disappointed that my mesh kittycats did not go down at all in LI.. still 13 LI each (52 for the allowed 4 out at once). Maybe those cats aren't mesh?

Surprisingly some of my linked non-mesh prims when up .. e.g., 6 box prims linked together used to be 3 LI and now they are 4.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Teresa Firelight said:

I was a bit surprised/disappointed that my mesh kittycats did not go down at all in LI.. still 13 LI each (52 for the allowed 4 out at once). Maybe those cats aren't mesh?

The announcement says animesh (along with sculpties) not affected by this change. 

"Q.  What types of items are NOT affected by the update?

1. Animesh, primitives, and sculpties are not affected. The update will only affect static mesh objects that are rezzed onto your land."
Edited by Frigga Freidman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Yes, it's nice.  I haven't done any reading to figure out how many probes the typical Belli home will need, tho, so planning to allocate 10 or so LI for those in the future??? Any ideas of how many one would typically use?

I'm not a pbr expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I've been told one per room. Each one should span to just inside each wall and just below the floor and above the ceiling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moles
6 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

If you're satisfied with how your home -- Linden or otherwise --  looks at the moment with PBR with LL's standard EEP settings (try the Official Viewer if your current third-party viewer isn't yet PBR-capable) then you won't need any probes.  There shouldn't be a huge difference in how things look.

You can certainly use both PBR and local lighting to enhance the way your home looks,  but we worked with Engineering to try to ensure people won't get any nasty surprises the first time they see their Linden Home with PBR.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

In terms of the items benefitting from this change, I've looked at a spreadsheet I'd compiled for my recently-abandoned Vic and only found two 'larger' LI items that 'lost' 1 LI each - Apple Fall's Clifton cast iron fireplace and also their Oxford wingback chair. Items I'd linked together - like two bookcases with books and a framed photo - were unchanged, except for a grouping of shrubs and roses that I'd linked for the front of the house - they went from 15 LI to 12! I also checked lots of plant arrangements from Tm Creations as I've frequently listed their details on the furnishings thread, and they all seem to have 'lost' 1 LI. 

It's definitely worth experimenting with linking previously unlinked items - in these two cases there was no previous benefit, but I've just saved 1 LI by linking the bell garland with the plant on the mantelpiece, and 2 LI by linking the dog and dog bed. Unfortunately, other small items like the basket, fireplace tools and mannequin are all no copy, or there'd be more savings in this room. (I've also added a 2 LI item to one wall and a 1 LI item to another, but was only 'charged' 1 LI from my 351 allotment!) 

linked.jpg

Edited by Frigga Freidman
  • Like 7

I'm not really a happy camper.
I have to check each and every item I listed on the MP one by one in my sandbox, then alter the listings with the new LI values.
After that I have to redo every picture in my inworld store, because they hold the LI information printed on it.
Nice, but not really. A lot of work for no gain at all in sales.
:(

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Sad 4

4 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I'm not really a happy camper.
I have to check each and every item I listed on the MP one by one in my sandbox, then alter the listings with the new LI values.
After that I have to redu every picture in my inworld store, because they hold the LI information printed on it.
:(

Yeah, I'd thought that might be a bummer for creators/sellers, especially as there aren't across-the-board reductions. Commiserations. 

• Like 1

I gained about 10 LI at my Belli home, but I didn't take the time to check every mesh item and linked items.

While at Zerkalo, I saw a bed on sale there went from 17 to 14 LI and the bed curtains went from 10 to 9 LI, so maybe this will mostly help high LI mesh items?

I wonder how much this will lower the LI of the Linden Homes and landscaping items in Belli? It should raise the amount of available LI for rezzing vehicles. (I also like the idea of adding birdsong to the Traditionals, but maybe it's good to have one quiet theme, in case some people like that?)

Edited by Persephone Emerald
To add
  • Like 3

• Moles
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Frigga Freidman said:

Just a thought, @Quartz Mole: does shaving off the LI used throughout regions mean there's a chance of a sound environment being added to the trad regions at some time in the future?

I know that adding a sound environment to the very early regions is certainly on the agenda, though there's no date for it, nor any guarantee that it'll happen.   There's a whole load of fixes and updates we want to do, but it's a matter of when, and in what order, to do them,  and no decisions have yet been taken.     

More than that I can't say.  So... not in the immediate future but perhaps sort of soon-ish... maybe?

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 9

6 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I wonder how much this will lower the LI of the Linden Homes and landscaping items in Belli?

It would be interesting if it raised the LI available for LH residents..(did not read that is the case, though)..

• Moles
1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It would be interesting if it raised the LI available for LH residents..(did not read that is the case, though)..

It's not.  But it may mean that you find the LI you have been using will fall, so you might have a bit more spare LI than you did last week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I have a parcel with 1171 LI that I'm almost done decorating, so nothing is linked.  I was overjoyed when I got about 80 (yes, EIGHTY!) LI overnight!  

1 hour ago, Quartz Mole said:

I know that adding a sound environment to the very early regions is certainly on the agenda, though there's no date for it, nor any guarantee that it'll happen. 

Ooooh!   I always added sound to my trad parcel and was fine with that, but it would be GLORIOUS to have a sound environment in all those quirky and lovely public places in Olde Belli!  

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

After that I have to redu every picture in my inworld store, because they hold the LI information printed on it.

I hadn't thought of this, my condolences.  If you do this work, tho, you will have the advantage over all the marketplace merchants who simply removed LI from their listings.  I don't buy any decor unless I know the LI ahead of time, too many times I've been lured to do so and deleted the item as soon as I rezzed it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I have experimented with installing probes in a couple of builds. So far, mostly due FS not really being PBR ready yet, I've decided to just wait on them. Though, when I used the LL viewer with the probes I was quite happy with how the inside of my home looked. I found the biggest difference in the build that was decorated with lots of dark saturated colors. In my more beachy and quite light build the difference wasn't nearly as significant. I am looking forward to FS getting a release candidate ready for PBR. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I had already linked so much, but I found some larger items; like the Voda pool gazebo from Kraftwork went from 48 Li to 40 Li. That is noticeable.

I also checked trees and plants. I usually stretch trees as much as I can. My Skye twisted  tree was 6.2 download now, I am sure it has gone down from 7 or 8 Li.

A HPMD tree is 7.6 Li now, and it means It can be stretched bigger until it reach 8.4 download, or I can shrink it just a bit, and get it to 7.4 - and save one Li.

I would not have left a tree with download 7.6 - no way. A planter I am 100% sure was 4 Li, is now 3 Li. So many of my potted plants have lost some in download, even if the Li is not down.

The Apple Fall Boxwood urn is 1.1 download now. I am sure I would have stretched it to 1.4 before, so it must have lost 0.3 in download. Even if an object do not do down in Li, the download can have gone down. It means that the plant can be stretched more, you get bigger trees and potted plants, or sized them down, without looking noticeable smaller.

• Thanks 1

Amount that I save is all over the place. As expected.

One lot seems to have gained 10 or less. Another almost 40-50 I think. I didn't exactly remember where it was before. As a change to download weight, if the thing that was determining it for a given piece of mesh was server or physics then no impact. But its usually download weight so yeah - a lot of savings.

Doesn't impact me much as my build in my land is generally "done" for what I wanted rezzed out. But it's a nice thing to see anyway.

For people looking to squeeze more drops out of this fruit - if you edit an object the way the blog shows and the highest total is physics, you can often change that one down by linking all the things that don't matter for "bumping into it" - then make the last final link something that ought to be solid like a table or chair. And then edit it so the physics of everything except the root prim is set to 'none'.

- I'd already done this, which is why my lot that saved a LOT saved a lot. Most of my build there was a magical forest around my fantasy tree. Grass, leaves, giant mushrooms, and other things all set to 'none' on physics so when download went down, I got a lot of LI back.

Setting 'none' on physics for everything you're not worried about bumping into has another major bonus: less lag. If SL isn't trying to d math on the chances of you running over a cloud in the sky or flying through a prim that's under the ground - it tends to finish it's math for moving around a lot quicker. ;)

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
typos, typos, and even typos
  • Like 4