Mainland Land Rights and Neighbors

9 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Oh no, I wasn't saying YOU were precious, that is what people will think of your neighbour when they see his wall! 

You could put up a sign saying "For the best viewing experience, derender wall"?

Somebody should sell signs like this.

Ima gonna make a new thread for this idea. 💡 😁 

• Like 5

This is why if I ever went back up to 1/4 sim (another 8192) .. and there are two open sailing lots right across the canal at 4096 each so?? ... and I rented those out, I'd do the landscaping and set the pad for a house. I'd tell my renters they can pick any Scarlet Creative or Trompe home for the property (I probably own most of them already, aka "house junkie") and then fill it however they wanted, but my landscaping stays and no walls. The benefit to those restrictions? I'd rent them cheaper than market and offer a lot of prims.

Reading through this thread you've handled it well, and seems calm about responses, so great on you. :) Hope it works out.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Caitlin Tobias said:

I’ve been living on mainland, on the same parcel, since 2009. Other parcels around me get sold every so often and new neighbours arrive. Some keep their land empty, some decorate it nicely, and occasionally there is one that puts up horrible stuff like huge walls. I’ve never asked anyone to remove walls, only when something is hanging over the parcel border. My experience is that most of those neighbours -with a need for walls - move out in a few months, probably to a place where they get even more privacy. If you like your place, try to sit it out and see how long that renter will stay.

Hi Caitlin - that's what I'll do. You're right - everything changes in SL (and RL). I did that with another such problem - just kept my IMs to myself and within a month or two the problem was gone. It helps to run a viewer with the ability to de-render also - while you're waiting.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

Oh no, I wasn't saying YOU were precious, that is what people will think of your neighbour when they see his wall! 

You could put up a sign saying "For the best viewing experience, derender wall"?

Clear as day when I read it again. And that's right. I was thinking from the neighbor's  perspective - all of my fussy detail was just too much, so a wall MUST be installed. I love the sign idea! I'll put that up today.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

This is why if I ever went back up to 1/4 sim (another 8192) .. and there are two open sailing lots right across the canal at 4096 each so?? ... and I rented those out, I'd do the landscaping and set the pad for a house. I'd tell my renters they can pick any Scarlet Creative or Trompe home for the property (I probably own most of them already, aka "house junkie") and then fill it however they wanted, but my landscaping stays and no walls. The benefit to those restrictions? I'd rent them cheaper than market and offer a lot of prims.

Reading through this thread you've handled it well, and seems calm about responses, so great on you. :) Hope it works out.

Hi Katherine, Thanks for responding. I did something like you are describing. I have a house on a hill. A parcel across the road came up for sale about a year after I moved in - 7000+ or so. Too big, too much money, but I bought it anyway so I could control my site lines. It's the only way on the mainland, I'm finding, to have some peace of mind. Now I love my neighbor because my neighbor is me. And we can share clothes! Also, I'm with you on the being a house junkie. I buy anything that looks good or quirky or funny - even if I don't have a place for it. Beautiful stuff and good builders/makers don't always last long in here. Stores come and go, so I've built a pretty big collection of virtual collectibles.

And thank you for your kind comment.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

Rat Luv - I stole your idea, I hope you don't mind. I haven't made any money on it, but if I do I'll send you 50%. I derendered the wall already so it doesn't show here, but I think it works pretty well. Thanks!

Snapshot_007.jpg

Snapshot_008.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WaitsThomasBatriani said:

Rat Luv - I stole your idea, I hope you don't mind. I haven't made any money on it, but if I do I'll send you 50%. I derendered the wall already so it doesn't show here, but I think it works pretty well. Thanks!

Cool B| No need to send me any money! Glad it works for you...always liked waterfront parcels 😀

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 3

On 2/16/2024 at 9:39 PM, WaitsThomasBatriani said:

I may already know the answer to this, but I thought I would ask anyway. I just purchased a couple of parcels on the Mainland and we put up a nice build (in my opinion) pier; boat; house, etc. - all public. My neighbor is a real estate renter and just put up huge walls all along our property line. There is nothing on his/her land so, to me, it is a attack on my parcels. I see no other reason for it. Everyone has a right to do as they please on their land - I get it - but this seems mean spirited for the sake of it. Do I have any recourse with the Lindens?

I'm late to the thread and already you know that you could only really have a case to report to Linden Lab if someone really appeared to be attacking you personally or spoiling your enjoyment of Second Life.

I just wanted you to know that this thread made me smile as I remembered a lot of the times when I used to own mainland. I LOVE mainland, but a lot of people really hate it because it is "the wild west". 

I can remember when Queck was the easternmost region that had been built on the mainland and I was the first person to purchase a parcel of land on it, only for someone to purchase the adjacent property and build an absolute tip complete with burning tyres and something resembling a steaming fly-infested pile of sh1t. Their fun in Second Life was obviously to try and wind up those of us who had built a cute little house with a white picket fence (not quite what I built there, but it was a bit twee and lovely). It didn't bother me as I didn't stand on my parcel of land looking out at their's. 

Prior to that I had land on a more well-established region in Second Life. It was next to waterland and had been quite an expensive plot, but the person who purchased the land that became vacant to mine thought it would be a good idea to make a graveyard. It looked bizarre but again it was their choice, their world, their imagination. 

My ex-partner loved to encase his parcels of land with high walls for privacy, and did not actually realise his neighbours would find that objectionable until one took "revenge" by rezzing a whole bunch of warships on his side of the wall. It was a total misunderstanding, and my partner, having learned that high walls were an antisocial thing moved up into the sky where he always seemed much happier and was harassed less. 

Did I say, I LOVE the mainland? Really do. Always have. Always will. It's quirky like its inhabitants.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

Cool B| No need to send me any money! Glad it works for you...always liked waterfront parcels 😀

What I like about it is (and this is all you) - how matter-of-fact it is. Nothing negative, just showing concern for the viewers of your parcel and helping them to maximize their enjoyment as they gaze upon it.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I'm late to the thread and already you know that you could only really have a case to report to Linden Lab if someone really appeared to be attacking you personally or spoiling your enjoyment of Second Life.

I just wanted you to know that this thread made me smile as I remembered a lot of the times when I used to own mainland. I LOVE mainland, but a lot of people really hate it because it is "the wild west". 

I can remember when Queck was the easternmost region that had been built on the mainland and I was the first person to purchase a parcel of land on it, only for someone to purchase the adjacent property and build an absolute tip complete with burning tyres and something resembling a steaming fly-infested pile of sh1t. Their fun in Second Life was obviously to try and wind up those of us who had built a cute little house with a white picket fence (not quite what I built there, but it was a bit twee and lovely). It didn't bother me as I didn't stand on my parcel of land looking out at their's. 

Prior to that I had land on a more well-established region in Second Life. It was next to waterland and had been quite an expensive plot, but the person who purchased the land that became vacant to mine thought it would be a good idea to make a graveyard. It looked bizarre but again it was their choice, their world, their imagination. 

My ex-partner loved to encase his parcels of land with high walls for privacy, and did not actually realise his neighbours would find that objectionable until one took "revenge" by rezzing a whole bunch of warships on his side of the wall. It was a total misunderstanding, and my partner, having learned that high walls were an antisocial thing moved up into the sky where he always seemed much happier and was harassed less. 

Did I say, I LOVE the mainland? Really do. Always have. Always will. It's quirky like its inhabitants.

Hahaha, I remember that style. Everyone wanted a burned out old city for a while. Maybe it was a reaction to everything seeming so perfect in here. Great stories - and I'm with you - I love the Mainland too - for the same reasons.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Caitlin Tobias said:

That only works when one uses a viewer that has the derender option. I am always in the SL viewer, so that sign adds up to blocking the view 🤪

True enough I suppose - but in that case it is blocking only a small circle of one's view of the wall (which I had already derendered when I shot the photos). And it's not really meant to be instructional. I don't expect anyone to care or to derender anything. Why do it then? I don't know, maybe I'll take it down, but it feels good to do something. The situation is - the parcel is long and thin with ocean access on the narrow end. If I didn't have the ability to derender I would be living in a tunnel with this guys huge wall spanning the entire length of my parcel. I used to use the Second Life viewer too, but when I became a land owner, on the Mainland no less, I HAD to have that ability. Some people work at being A-holes.

Edited by WaitsThomasBatriani
  • Like 2

On 2/16/2024 at 9:39 PM, WaitsThomasBatriani said:

to me, it is a attack on my parcels

I'm not sure this is going to be the case without any other evidence to support it. Many people just do not care about the 'feel' of mainland areas and there is nothing requiring them to do so, it's a free for all and for many owners/renters the land is just about looking after their own needs.

I understand though, I am blessed with very good neighbours who don't do stuff like that now but I have lived on Mainland parcels where big ugly "privacy screens" and other horrible stuff were surrounding me. It wasn't an attack on me though, it was just people doing their own thing who weren't interested in the look of the area.

I will say it is almost absurdly hard to find the Mainland parcels where this isn't an issue though.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 3

When searching for land not that long ago I found the solution was just to set up shop close to a linden owned area, namely an infohub. And everything around me looks nice and fitting because a core build in the area is an infohub, so everyone around it makes fairly open stuff because it’s free traffic.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I'm not sure this is going to be the case without any other evidence to support it. Many people just do not care about the 'feel' of mainland areas and there is nothing requiring them to do so, it's a free for all and for many owners/renters the land is just about looking after their own needs.

I understand though, I am blessed with very good neighbours who don't do stuff like that now but I have lived on Mainland parcels where big ugly "privacy screens" and other horrible stuff were surrounding me. It wasn't an attack on me though, it was just people doing their own thing who weren't interested in the look of the area.

I will say it is almost absurdly hard to find the Mainland parcels where this isn't an issue though.

I had no plans to try and bring a case about it, but because no one lives on the parcel - (it is an un-rented rental) - and it had been clear when I moved in, I could see no reason for the sudden addition of extremely high walls blocking most of my parcels views and the views of my parcel from elsewhere. To say nothing of their covering the open ocean with a huge platform. It seemed attack-ish, but who knows. Maybe the rental company (I think it's just one guy) thinks high screen walls are an attractive draw to prospective tenants.

Anyway, I have come to terms with this little turn of events on this new land and am very thankful for the ability to derender. I have cleared their parcel completely and can continue to do so. My unencumbered views are back and all is well.

s views.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, gwynchisholm said:

When searching for land not that long ago I found the solution was just to set up shop close to a linden owned area, namely an infohub. And everything around me looks nice and fitting because a core build in the area is an infohub, so everyone around it makes fairly open stuff because it’s free traffic.

Yeah, that's a good idea. My first property since I rejoined SL is backed up against Linden Land. It has worked out pretty well so far.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Some of the ugliest sims I've ever seen are private estates where the owner has raised 50 m high land walls around each 4096 parcel, and they are full.

Some people have no sense of taste, or of what looks good.

I think a percentage of people feels guilty or not totally at ease with the way they live their Second Life and want to tuck it away as far as possible for the rest of the world.

• Like 6

I've got the bulk of my region at this point, I've built an airfield/wharf with open rez and long auto return. With new neighbors, step one is to reach out. I offer to work with any build they might have in mind.

Step two, if they put up annoying stuff and it's encroaching, return it.

Step three, derender as necessary.

I've never had any issues.

• Like 5