Mainland Land Rights and Neighbors

I may already know the answer to this, but I thought I would ask anyway. I just purchased a couple of parcels on the Mainland and we put up a nice build (in my opinion) pier; boat; house, etc. - all public. My neighbor is a real estate renter and just put up huge walls all along our property line. There is nothing on his/her land so, to me, it is a attack on my parcels. I see no other reason for it. Everyone has a right to do as they please on their land - I get it - but this seems mean spirited for the sake of it. Do I have any recourse with the Lindens?

• Like 1

No. Linden Lab will not get involved in these kinds of disputes between residents.

If you have the Firestorm viewer, the easiest way to resolve this problem would be to derender your neighbor's wall so you can't see it. As long as what they put up in on their land is not hanging over your property line and not breaking any SL rules, such as content inappropriate for the region or hogging region resources by spewing replicating prims, you can't do much about it.

You can send them a polite note asking for the border wall to be transparent on your side, but you can't force them to be a good neighbor. Putting up an even bigger and uglier wall on your side, would most likely only escalate the conflict, so I don't recommend this.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
Typo
  • Like 10

This is what has driven me off of countless mainland plots before. And probably will again next time I get mainland.

It's why my main focus is NOW on Bellisseria. The linden homes might have started with the idea of being a beginner step before you move on to mainland. But it's more often a refuge away from having to deal with the lack of any zoning on mainland and the unpredictability of estate land where the rules can change on a land baron's whim or new desire for that region.

Belli will give you a strong covenant, neighbors who like you sought out that covenant, and a huge variety of community events run by both residents and LL staff (lindens and moles both).

In exchange you have to give up some build freedom - you're stuck to having the house they provided. But so too are your neighbors. Compromises that achieve peace and community.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
EDIT: Fixed typo that made my second paragraph mean the opposite of my intent
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

Thanks for your comment UnilWay, all true and I understand your decision. For now I'm going to try and stick it out. I am usually very tolerant of anything anyone wants to do on their land. Freedom is a good thing and I don't think I'd like RL style building restrictions in here either. So, I'll just deal with it - de-rez anything I really can't stand and move on. There is a LOT I wish I could de-rez in RL but can't,  - so I guess I should be thankful I have that at least.

3 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

This is what has driven me off of countless mainland plots before. And probably will again next time I get mainland.

It's why my main focus is NOW on Bellisseria. The linden homes might have started with the idea of being a beginner step before you move on to mainland. But it's more often a refuge away from having to deal with the lack of any zoning on mainland and the unpredictability of estate land where the rules can change on a land baron's whim or new desire for that region.

Belli will give you a strong covenant, neighbors who like you sought out that covenant, and a huge variety of community events run by both residents and LL staff (lindens and moles both).

In exchange you have to give up some build freedom - you're stuck to having the house they provided. But so too are your neighbors. Compromises that achieve peace and community.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, WaitsThomasBatriani said:

this seems mean spirited for the sake of it

Some people are just like that 9_9

17 minutes ago, WaitsThomasBatriani said:

I will add also - I know I can de-rez and DO de-rez, - but this idea that I have somehow deleted part of my reality to make myself comfortable while everyone else can still see the ugliness, well, THAT makes me uncomfortable.

If it is any consolation, this has happened to lots of people, so most visitors will think "Oh, the neighbour is a bit...precious" ;) rather than think badly of your parcels...it's common to see walls on loads of cool parcel boundaries! (we had a neighbour do the same when I lived on a builders' sim, but our place was such a mess with half-finished builds everywhere, you wouldn't have noticed anyway :D) I knew somebody else who got round this by creating a tall wall with vines running down it, it looked really good, might be worth a try?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

Check with the landlord to determine if the landlord has rules about this sort of thing, some do.

This is true. A lot of places have stuff in the lower depths of their land covenants that you can mention to them, and they'll look and go oh, yeah, that's gotta go.

I lived in a faery glen, on land that was of the "build to theme or else" variety, and my two neighbors did their best to keep to the look of the land. I got a neighbor who immediately put up big glowy stuff that towered over my treeline, flattened the land, and made it all astroturf, and one IM to the landlady and they were gone. I don't feel bad about it at all, you don't move to the forest and put dayglo crap over my trees and stuff.

If your landbaron doesn't act on what's in the land covenant, that's when I would suggest finding a better spot.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

Some people are just like that 9_9

If it is any consolation, this has happened to lots of people, so most visitors will think "Oh, the neighbour is a bit...precious" ;) rather than think badly of your parcels...it's common to see walls on loads of cool parcel boundaries! (we had a neighbour do the same when I lived on a builders' sim, but our place was such a mess with half-finished builds everywhere, you wouldn't have noticed anyway :D) I knew somebody else who got round this by creating a tall wall with vines running down it, it looked really good, might be worth a try?

Hi Rat Luv, You're right - some are. And I DO think we are victims of seeming "a bit precious". But we put a lot of effort into it. If anything, I thought the owner of the rental property would be happy - it makes the area more appealing - in my opinion anyway. This isn't my first problem with this either. I bought two parcels when I came back to SL a couple of years ago - put up a nice build on both and suddenly my neighbor covers her entire parcel with one huge box right in my face. I IM'd her to ask what gives? She told me it was her protest against the new land hoarders in the area - meaning me. There was nothing I could do so I just deleted the box and anything inside until finally, I imagine, she got tired of being the butt of the area (everyone hated it) and took off the box and dropped a pile of oversized trees around. Not great but better. And I'm not above building a better wall, but this is a open ocean property so I think the permanent de-rez is my only option. If I keep it up I'll never know or care if anyone ever rents that land.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

Check with the landlord to determine if the landlord has rules about this sort of thing, some do.

Hi diamond, the owner/landlord IS the wall builder. It's not a tenant. I think Rat Luv nailed it. We seemed too precious for our own good, so a statement was made. Hey, we didn't put in a petting zoo or a bunny farm. We just made what we made nicely. That's our crime.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WaitsThomasBatriani said:

Hi diamond, the owner/landlord IS the wall builder. It's not a tenant. I think Rat Luv nailed it. We seemed too precious for our own good, so a statement was made. Hey, we didn't put in a petting zoo or a bunny farm. We just made what we made nicely. That's our crime.

No bunnies?! How could you! Add them right away!

Anyway, most shady rentals don't last long, so there's that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

This is true. A lot of places have stuff in the lower depths of their land covenants that you can mention to them, and they'll look and go oh, yeah, that's gotta go.

I lived in a faery glen, on land that was of the "build to theme or else" variety, and my two neighbors did their best to keep to the look of the land. I got a neighbor who immediately put up big glowy stuff that towered over my treeline, flattened the land, and made it all astroturf, and one IM to the landlady and they were gone. I don't feel bad about it at all, you don't move to the forest and put dayglo crap over my trees and stuff.

If your landbaron doesn't act on what's in the land covenant, that's when I would suggest finding a better spot.

This guy may very well have such stipulations in his rental agreement, but he's the wall builder, not a wayward renter, as I said to diamond. So, you know - probably SOOL. And I bought the land and like it - so I put my best permanent de-rezzing skills to work and all is once again peaceful and neighbor free. I might just start de-rezing everything I don't like in here.

• Like 1

My rule of tumb has always been, never make a war over it. It will only get worse. And it doesn't contribute to your pleasure. SL should be fun, not war.
I simply pack my bags and move on if neighbors start with uggly fences and walls.
I only live on estate land, so no hassle with buying and selling land.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

My rule of tumb has always been, never make a war over it. It will only get worse. And it doesn't contribute to your pleasure. SL should be fun, nor war.
I simply pack my bags and move on if neighbors start with uggly fences and walls.
I only live on estate land, so no hassle with buying and selling land.

Well, that's for sure.

I’ve been living on mainland, on the same parcel, since 2009. Other parcels around me get sold every so often and new neighbours arrive. Some keep their land empty, some decorate it nicely, and occasionally there is one that puts up horrible stuff like huge walls. I’ve never asked anyone to remove walls, only when something is hanging over the parcel border. My experience is that most of those neighbours -with a need for walls - move out in a few months, probably to a place where they get even more privacy. If you like your place, try to sit it out and see how long that renter will stay.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Caitlin Tobias said:

I’ve been living on mainland, on the same parcel, since 2009. Other parcels around me get sold every so often and new neighbours arrive. Some keep their land empty, some decorate it nicely, and occasionally there is one that puts up horrible stuff like huge walls. I’ve never asked anyone to remove walls, only when something is hanging over the parcel border. My experience is that most of those neighbours -with a need for walls - move out in a few months, probably to a place where they get even more privacy. If you like your place, try to sit it out and see how long that renter will stay.

My experience has been the same. On the other hand, I had pretty big parcels, used border walls myself, and I might have more patience for annoying neighbors. It helps too when one spends much of one's time inside a big, open skybox.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, WaitsThomasBatriani said:

Hi diamond, the owner/landlord IS the wall builder. It's not a tenant. I think Rat Luv nailed it. We seemed too precious for our own good, so a statement was made

Oh no, I wasn't saying YOU were precious, that is what people will think of your neighbour when they see his wall! 

You could put up a sign saying "For the best viewing experience, derender wall"?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2