More house designs for the log homes region, is there any chance, what would you like?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 82 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am sure this has been debated before many times, but after the tree houses were created for the fantasy regions I started to wonder if the Moles might have plans to insert more models into the log homes region.

I do enjoy the landscaping in this region, especially the hilly parts and the winding lanes and 'mountain' passes. The lakes are lovely too, and as I have said before, many remind me of the post-glacial landscape of the English Lake District. The planting is really well done as well, and it is hardly necessary to use prims in the garden adding to the scheme.

I can't move on without mentioning the railways, which are some of the nicest rides in Belli.

So why the wondering about new models?

This is probably already something the Moles have thought about, but my main tack here regards orientation of the individual homes, and this has been brought into focus by my recent experience of snagging a waterside plot.  Apart from the 90 degree swivel of the Grand View, the main focus and view points from within the buildings point towards the mail box / road.
This works well for many lots, but there are also quite a few where the main view would naturally be from the back of the house, say where the house backs onto water, or has an open aspect to the rear.
What I noticed was a pattern of occupation which corresponded to each plot's ability to take in the view. Even if a house was besides water, if the water was behind the home, it was less likely to have a resident, or to be furnished.

If we could have some new homes that had their main rooms at the back of the house, I wonder if there would be more take up of those plots which have the best outlook from the rear? It could give more flexibility to the choices available.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

I am sure this has been debated before many times, but after the tree houses were created for the fantasy regions I started to wonder if the Moles might have plans to insert more models into the log homes region.

I do enjoy the landscaping in this region, especially the hilly parts and the winding lanes and 'mountain' passes. The lakes are lovely too, and as I have said before, many remind me of the post-glacial landscape of the English Lake District. The planting is really well done as well, and it is hardly necessary to use prims in the garden adding to the scheme.

I can't move on without mentioning the railways, which are some of the nicest rides in Belli.

So why the wondering about new models?

This is probably already something the Moles have thought about, but my main tack here regards orientation of the individual homes, and this has been brought into focus by my recent experience of snagging a waterside plot.  Apart from the 90 degree swivel of the Grand View, the main focus and view points from within the buildings point towards the mail box / road.
This works well for many lots, but there are also quite a few where the main view would naturally be from the back of the house, say where the house backs onto water, or has an open aspect to the rear.
What I noticed was a pattern of occupation which corresponded to each plot's ability to take in the view. Even if a house was besides water, if the water was behind the home, it was less likely to have a resident, or to be furnished.

If we could have some new homes that had their main rooms at the back of the house, I wonder if there would be more take up of those plots which have the best outlook from the rear? It could give more flexibility to the choices available.

I completely agree.  I've had this spot with one account or another since this region released.  I've made the most of it by adding a deck that lets me enjoy the water, but my "grand view" is either of the road or my neighbor.  So many other parcels have the same problem.  I appreciate that the they allow the home to be turned 90 degrees, but more often than not, neither of the available orientations is the desired one. 

GrandView_001.thumb.png.118285f893a7f0b1693b957797841236.png

I suspect if they could go back and start over with Log Land, they would have handled that better.  The problem now is having to QC each and every parcel to support new models.  The tree houses were an easy add in Fantessaria because the structure is above all of the landscaping.  The houseboats were also no problem because there is not landscaping in a boat slip to consider.  All other themes would require extensive testing or smaller footprints than the current models.  It could be done, but it's likely not the best use of mole time.  

• Like 7

Still keeping my fingers crossed for one or two single-storey models in this theme; would love the combination of a Doyle-like footprint in the Logland setting. (My former log home on a lake that was one of the most-chased locations upon release has been empty for the best part of a year... I'd snap it up with a one-month Premium Plus upgrade given the option for a slightly smaller house.)

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Frigga Freidman said:

Still keeping my fingers crossed for one or two single-storey models in this theme; would love the combination of a Doyle-like footprint in the Logland setting. (My former log home on a lake that was one of the most-chased locations upon release has been empty for the best part of a year... I'd snap it up with a one-month Premium Plus upgrade given the option for a slightly smaller house.)

I read your post and checked out your lovely pictures of that house, you had it looking lovely. Your remark about the styles feeling too big did resonate with me though. I wonder if what @Matthieu Quander said about the workload of Q&A might be relevant here, 

All other themes would require extensive testing or smaller footprints than the current models.

I could live with smaller footprints easily!

• Like 4

I, too, would like to see a smaller Log Home, tho I don't expect it, since I share Matthieu's observations.   I was lucky in finding a parcel well suited to the Lincoln, which isn't TOO large (like the Grand View, the 2nd floor is just a mezzanine).  I love the woodsy view out the front, the little 2nd floor balcony is a blessing, and it's nice to have a mudroom when you live in a forest.

Loghome_001.thumb.jpg.f78fd4ee974e0ebc0d94f238db0dbffd.jpg

Loghome_002.thumb.jpg.ff0cee08ca3e27786ea08d66c21e90fd.jpg

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2024 at 9:14 AM, Raspberry Crystal said:

..........................This is probably already something the Moles have thought about, but my main tack here regards orientation of the individual homes, and this has been brought into focus by my recent experience of snagging a waterside plot.  Apart from the 90 degree swivel of the Grand View, the main focus and view points from within the buildings point towards the mail box / road.

This was the first I noticed in the demo region, and it drove me bonkers. Some of the houses have the most amazing views in the back. And even without a lake there, why would I want to look at the mailbox? The back is the natural place for a private spot to hang out with friends or relax alone..

I also support the suggestion of smaller homes.

So my wish would be for 4 houses with the big windows facing the backyard, and another entrance facing the road.

This could include both small and big houses.

The update to the Houseboats had some really neat boats, one with open ceiling and big windows. This structure, open ceiling, could be used in a smaller single-story loghouse too. It would be perfect, both big windows and smaller size. I think the two smaller Houseboats that was made like 'houses on ground' have very good interior design too.

When I lived in the Adams, I used an add-on that gave Adams a livingroom in the back, with big windows and an open ceiling in that room. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Teegle-Bellisseria-Adams-Home-Addon/19669885

This too, show how a small single-story house can have big windows and enjoy the landcaping to the fullest. The Log homes have some very good landscaping. Almost as good as the Camper landscaping.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 5

I've put a similar question through for Patch in the upcoming Q&A about the Camper theme - basically, is it done?

I guess that it is and that the interest now mainly lies in making 2048s rather than developing 512s?

By developing I mean in the same way that Traditionals and Houseboats got layouts and decoration updates / new models added.

Given we have already have 8 models in the theme and its all pretty snazzy I do doubt anyone except me would be excited about it!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, AuroraDammerung said:

I DESPERATELY want a 2048 plot in the Log Home region. I adore the landscaping there more than in any other theme, its so beautiful there. *wistful sigh*

It IS beautiful, homes scattered through a dense forest, bright flowers peeping at you from the shadows, dappled sunlight through the canopy, lovely lakes.  I question whether that same feel is possible in a 2048 region.  12 2048 parcels take up a lot of space, which may be why both the Ranches and the Meds are (comparatively) sparsely landscaped.  We might find that it looks weird to have dense landscaping like that in the Logs or Campwich end abruptly at large parcel edges.  Might look ... patchy.  I would love to have someone like, say, @Moonstruck Mole give us insight about that.

I'm not saying that it isn't possible to have lush, say, Mediterranean landscaping in a residential region. The Grove, for example, is exactly that, and its gorgeous.  I'm questioning whether it's desirable to attempt that within LH 2048 constraints. 

At The Grove the parcels are generally larger, a LOT of the parcel landscaping and particularly parcel hardscaping is done by the Grove's team, and residents pay much more per m2.  The estate does not have enough open water for boating, which cuts down on their overhead.  Or at least that's how it was when we rented there.  

• Like 4

The thing that bothers me about the idea is imagining how people would landscape their yards. With so much space for landscaping I have the image of a lot of 'mini' forests planted inside the borders that do not in any way match or blend with the mole content. Logs has a very specific feel that I'm not quite sure could be maintained with really large yards.

• Like 4

• Moles
19 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

which may be why both the Ranches and the Meds are (comparatively) sparsely landscaped.  We might find that it looks weird to have dense landscaping like that in the Logs or Campwich end abruptly at large parcel edges.  Might look ... patchy.  I would love to have someone like, say, @Moonstruck Mole give us insight about that.

Tackling this before coffee has had time to kick in, so bear with me if this is nonsense:

I think at least Ranch is deceptive - it is in many places just as densely landscaped, but it is more grass-heavy content, and the trees have less 'skirt' to break up the sky. It is certainly less tree'd I will agree, and because of that it is less sheltered and more open feeling. Meds lean heavy toward grassy content as well but with both themes I think the biggest difference  (other than parcel sizes and walls/fence and the terrain/rock) is the type of tree/shrubs and the density of both. 

If we had giant pines instead, it would feel dramatically different in both of those themes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

I think most of us would just like it if Grand View could also be rotated in the OTHER direction. :)

I am now in the perfect log home. That's my main's main spot in mainland. :P

BUT to get it I had to pass over a half dozen or more other spots that were absolutely amazing if only grand view could have rotated THIS WAY instead of only THAT WAY.

If I were to build another new style in log homes... I might go for a treehouse like fantasy got, but in a lower to ground realistic theme instead of fantastical.

• Like 5

On 2/5/2024 at 9:30 AM, Blush Bravin said:

The thing that bothers me about the idea is imagining how people would landscape their yards. With so much space for landscaping I have the image of a lot of 'mini' forests planted inside the borders that do not in any way match or blend with the mole content.

This could be somewhat solved if the house kit included some low land impact trees and shrubs. Items that ranged from 1-3 land impact so that people would feel able to use a few of them rather than going shopping for fullbright glowing magenta flexi prim trees as they so often do when the kit's lowest land impact item is 371 LI and only 1m tall. :)

• Like 1

The Log Home regions are gorgeous, but I think they have only 4 home styles. If the Moles could add 2 more - a small cabin and another A-frame with views in the opposite direction as the Grand View, - would this be enough variety for people? It seems like as long as the footprint of any new models were similar to the current ones, this shouldn't impact the landscaping.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:
On 2/5/2024 at 11:30 AM, Blush Bravin said:

The thing that bothers me about the idea is imagining how people would landscape their yards. With so much space for landscaping I have the image of a lot of 'mini' forests planted inside the borders that do not in any way match or blend with the mole content.

This could be somewhat solved if the house kit included some low land impact trees and shrubs. Items that ranged from 1-3 land impact so that people would feel able to use a few of them rather than going shopping for fullbright glowing magenta flexi prim trees as they so often do when the kit's lowest land impact item is 371 LI and only 1m tall. :)

I'm very familiar with attempting this in themed areas....no matter what the full-bright, glow set to 60, super-saturated magenta tree will find a way in!!!!!    :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

The Log Home regions are gorgeous, but I think they have only 4 home styles. If the Moles could add 2 more - a small cabin and another A-frame with views in the opposite direction as the Grand View, - would this be enough variety for people? It seems like as long as the footprint of any new models were similar to the current ones, this shouldn't impact the landscaping.

I seem to remember a Mole post about the 'jelly mould' they use which defines the outer limits of all the styles of home to be rezzed. Surely if a new home would fit within that 'jelly mould' then it shouldn't cause an issue with the landscaping?

10 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

I think most of us would just like it if Grand View could also be rotated in the OTHER direction. :)

I am now in the perfect log home. That's my main's main spot in mainland. :P

BUT to get it I had to pass over a half dozen or more other spots that were absolutely amazing if only grand view could have rotated THIS WAY instead of only THAT WAY.

If I were to build another new style in log homes... I might go for a treehouse like fantasy got, but in a lower to ground realistic theme instead of fantastical.

Yes it is almost worse to have a view that you can't see without running outside!

On 2/5/2024 at 5:30 PM, Blush Bravin said:

The thing that bothers me about the idea is imagining how people would landscape their yards. With so much space for landscaping I have the image of a lot of 'mini' forests planted inside the borders that do not in any way match or blend with the mole content. Logs has a very specific feel that I'm not quite sure could be maintained with really large yards.

This had me thinking. I wonder whether larger plots with a choice of rezzable landscaping might work?

8 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm very familiar with attempting this in themed areas....no matter what the full-bright, glow set to 60, super-saturated magenta tree will find a way in!!!!!    :)

Oh so true! Though I do find if you run fast enough they never get past the slow rezzing purple mist stage.

• Like 2

On 2/5/2024 at 1:47 AM, AuroraDammerung said:

I DESPERATELY want a 2048 plot in the Log Home region. I adore the landscaping there more than in any other theme, its so beautiful there. *wistful sigh*

The closest one could get to a 2048 m plot in a 1024 m region would be to have an alt and at least one Premium Plus account, then request an empty home next to one you have. With over 2000 empty parcels in the Log Home regions, this should be possible

• Like 2

I wish 2048s didn't need their own continents.  The logs, chalets and fantasy regions have lots of empty parcels.  Why not sprinkle a few 2048 parcels in the themes by combining several empty parcels that are side by side.

I know its not possible on already made themes with their controllers and such, but it would preserve the dense looking landscaping if only 2 or 3 2048s were in a region.  I'd up my membership to premium plus for a giant fantasy or log home parcel with more land impact allotment. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 82 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.