Official Bellisseria Subcontenent Names

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 147 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

'Fantasseria' is bad enough on its own, I dislike to see people slap on -seria here and there.

Fantasseria is related to Disney 'Fantasia' and has a natural connection to RL. But 'Sakusseria'?

Pretentious.

And 'Bellisseria Alps' and 'Bellisseria Forest'? Pretentious that too. Saying Chalets and Logland sound more down-to-earth.

Several names for the Victorian part? Is that really necessary?

But what can one expect of some who make up ostentatious names as 'The Bellisserian Bureau of Bureaucracy (BBB), Confederation of Democratic Simulators (CDS) and Continental Passport Control Board (CPCB)'.

Delighted by showing off themselves, 'LL approves of us'.

They simply has to clutter up the map, because they think some names sound better and more posh.

139fcddac44bd094e45545a232b4c914.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
Adding image
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

for me it's just enough to call it 'Bellisseria'  ... if i need to point out some place to others i'd give a landmark or region name ( those are quite easy to find on the map, ther's such handy thingy there that shows the exact position.. it's called "search" )
On the maps continents and other clusters were never named.
Sounds to me somebody needed some feathers in the ...ss for something that people will need to use.

• Like 2

Bellisseria's name itself is an invented word, no doubt derived from the Italian word for beautiful, Bellissimo.  But with an -eria swapped for the -mo to make it geographic sounding.

Curiously, when you put the Bellisseria name through a text to speech translator and listen to it in any non-English European language, you'll mostly get a pronounciation of "Belly-see-ree-ahh", which is very different to the one that Patch Linden uses, "Bell-iss-sarr-ree-arr".

I use my own pronounciation of "Bell-iss-sair-ree-ahh". 😜 

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen

13 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

Point of order:

The only person who can decide on official names is Patch. Anything else is purely a colloquial name... and you all can debate about those all you like. :)

Question remains: are there official names decided by Patch?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Bellisseria's name itself is an invented word, no doubt derived from the Italian word for beautiful, Bellissimo.  But with an -eria swapped for the -mo to make it geographic sounding.

Curiously, when you put the Bellisseria name through a text to speech translator and listen to it in any non-English European language, you'll mostly get a pronounciation of "Belly-see-ree-ahh", which is very different to the one that Patch Linden uses, "Bell-iss-sarr-ree-arr".

I use my own pronounciation of "Bell-iss-sair-ree-ahh". 😜 

I had no idea how Patch pronounced it, so I just went with the Bell - iss - seyr -reeya type thing.

I'd really like to switch the Chalet district to Shalleys, it is more phonetical and less likely to cause confusion with the different style of homes which are called chalets in real life;  https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/chalet

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

Point of order:

The only person who can decide on official names is Patch. Anything else is purely a colloquial name... and you all can debate about those all you like. :)

I'd hope he follows this particular thread with bemusement and/or cringe!

(Probably mostly cringe.)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

for me it's just enough to call it 'Bellisseria'  ... if i need to point out some place to others i'd give a landmark or region name ( those are quite easy to find on the map, ther's such handy thingy there that shows the exact position.. it's called "search" )
On the maps continents and other clusters were never named.
Sounds to me somebody needed some feathers in the ...ss for something that people will need to use.

My main purpose is to make maps. High-resolution maps, were each region is represented by a square of 256x256 pixels in size.

Putting all Bellisseria in one map at that resolution is too big: I currently have a 19'968 x 24'576 pixels map of the whole Bellisseria supercontinent. The on-disk size is 327 MiB already. Too cumbersome.

The map needs to be split, and every split should be named, and have a reason for why it is split so.

The best reason for splitting a map is to highlight a certain named region in the map.

Hence is why I decided to do some research and give the areas names.

The name Sakurasseria has been lifted from earlier BBB publications, for instance this one: 

Quote: "or Sakurasseria as some people now call ..."

Of course you are free to shorten that to "Sakura". Just like people shortening the name "United States of America" to just America, never mind that there are a LOT of countries in the America continent, not just the USA.

Victoria has its subdivisions named because it is a really complex area, with land borders against Old Belli and Belli Forest. Four lines pointing to one name visually is not good. Not doing that, though, potentially confuses people of what the name of the division south of Old Belli is, or the name of the division west of Belli Forest is. So it's a necessary evil that the subdivisions of Victoria get named despite other subdivions of other areas not being named (for instance, there are several historical names for subdivisions in Old Belli).

The definition of a "chalet" from the Oxford Dictionary is: a wooden house or cottage with overhanging eaves, typically found in the Swiss Alps. Hence is why the region with the chalet-style Linden Homes are called Alps. Belli Alps to reflect Swiss Alps. And the area, though not mountainous, is not flat. Take a look at this video, starting 0:37 :
https://youtu.be/2wAJqqmDlHw?si=71yeL4_fi3qyZyEO&t=37

At 0:37 the division I named "Belli Alps" just starting to enter the view from the left. You can see that the division is rugged, especially compared to the flat Stiltlands in the foreground, and Newbrooke that entered the view afterwards. If you compare with Mount Sojisan in the foreground, and considering perspective, the highest points of Belli Alps probably reaches about half the height of Mount Sojisan.

The names "Pickle" and "Squishy Pickle" is probably as near as official as can be if you ever watched the slideshow of how Belli came to be, in BelliHub.

All my hi-res maps are released under the CC-BY-4.0 license, free to use for whatever purposes you want, even as part of items you want to sell. All that is required by the license is to give credit to the maker.

They are available on my Box.net here: https://app.box.com/s/13pi5ewojp5lsx9vap4uwtweg8h2tddq

(Nearly all maps there are still September 2023 edition; I will be uploading the January 2024 edition in the coming days)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, primerib1 said:

My main purpose is to make maps. High-resolution maps, were each region is represented by a square of 256x256 pixels in size.

Putting all Bellisseria in one map at that resolution is too big: I currently have a 19'968 x 24'576 pixels map of the whole Bellisseria supercontinent. The on-disk size is 327 MiB already. Too cumbersome.

The map needs to be split, and every split should be named, and have a reason for why it is split so.

The best reason for splitting a map is to highlight a certain named region in the map.

The name Sakurasseria has been lifted from earlier BBB publications, for instance this one: 

Quote: "or Sakurasseria as some people now call ..."

Of course you are free to shorten that to "Sakura". Just like people shortening the name "United States of America" to just America, never mind that there are a LOT of countries in the America continent, not just the USA.

Victoria has its subdivisions named because it is a really complex area, with land borders against Old Belli and Belli Forest. Four lines pointing to one name visually is not good. Not doing that, though, potentially confuses people of what the name of the division south of Old Belli is, or the name of the division west of Belli Forest is. So it's a necessary evil that the subdivisions of Victoria get named despite other subdivions of other areas not being named (for instance, there are several historical names for subdivisions in Old Belli).

The definition of a "chalet" from the Oxford Dictionary is: a wooden house or cottage with overhanging eaves, typically found in the Swiss Alps. Hence is why the region with the chalet-style Linden Homes are called Alps. Belli Alps to reflect Swiss Alps. And the area, though not mountainous, is not flat. Take a look at this video, starting 0:37 :
https://youtu.be/2wAJqqmDlHw?si=71yeL4_fi3qyZyEO&t=37

At 0:37 the division I named "Belli Alps" just starting to enter the view from the left. You can see that the division is rugged, especially compared to the flat Stiltlands in the foreground, and Newbrooke that entered the view afterwards. If you compare with Mount Sojisan in the foreground, and considering perspective, the highest points of Belli Alps probably reaches about half the height of Mount Sojisan.

The names "Pickle" and "Squishy Pickle" is probably as near as official as can be if you ever watched the slideshow of how Belli came to be, in BelliHub.

All my hi-res maps are released under the CC-BY-4.0 license, free to use for whatever purposes you want, even as part of items you want to sell. All that is required by the license is to give credit to the maker.

They are available on my Box.net here: https://app.box.com/s/13pi5ewojp5lsx9vap4uwtweg8h2tddq

(Nearly all maps there are still September 2023 edition; I will be uploading the January 2024 edition in the coming days)

Thanks for your contributions, and congratulations on being featured in the original article linked in the OP!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, primerib1 said:

The definition of a "chalet" from the Oxford Dictionary is: a wooden house or cottage with overhanging eaves, typically found in the Swiss Alps.

Would one who lives in a "chalet" be called a "chaz", a "chad", or a "chav"?

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Whoever's looking for continents to match with humorous names, please keep your eye out for a potential "Incontinentia Buttocks".  (It has both "Continent" and "Buttocks" in it!)

..as a tribute to the scene in "Life of Brian".

There were some referring to parts of the new Stilt home regions as the Phallic Isles, but I don't think this would ever be an official name.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Question remains: are there official names decided by Patch?

For the big theme areas, the only official names I've heard are the actual theme names. The pickle (traditional island in the old area) and squishy pickle (houseboat area above it) aren't official, though were common enough to result in pickles on sticks being on offer in the beach bars. Patch was calling the pickle Three Mile Island because of the radiation incident. That doesn't have the issue of being a difficult name, but calling it the pickle was already established. It's harder to get a name used when there's another already in use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Polenth Yue said:

Patch was calling the pickle Three Mile Island because of the radiation incident.

Pretty sure Three Mile Island is in the Trads where the green waterfall is located. I don't recall the pickle ever having a radiation incident. 

I think the only thing that bothers me about all these names is "official" being tied to any of them. None of them are official as far as I can tell. Lots of names have been suggested, and nearly as many have been forgotten. The ones that get used all the time end up being remembered. There are lots of names on that map that I've never heard before and am likely not to remember or hear again. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, primerib1 said:

That makes sense, given your mapmaking mission, which you've been pursuing for quite some time now.  The purpose of my map is different,  to give newcomers to Belli a quick orientation for where they can find neighborhoods of each theme, a question I see often in Belli Citizens' chat. The Belli orientation area in BelliHub does not offer such a map, which is consistent with LL's and the moles' tendency to shy away from naming geographical features.  @Abnor Mole , please feel free to distribute imy map there, as a resident-contributed navigation aid.   I will also offer a mod version of the map (so that people could easily use it to show tour routes, if they so desire).

[Incidentally, whoever is narrating the Bellisseria Orientation video in BelliHub pronounces it like Raspberry (and I) do, "Bell-iss-sair-ree-ahh".  Every time I hear Patch's pronunciation, my little finger lifts reflexively.  

10 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

But what can one expect of some who make up ostentatious names as 'The Bellisserian Bureau of Bureaucracy (BBB), Confederation of Democratic Simulators (CDS) and Continental Passport Control Board (CPCB)'.

Haha, yes, well, I'm sure many in the BBB would not mind if residents think of them as the "Bellisseria Bureau of Bellicosity" .  An enjoyment of (perhaps) ironic posh is something they seem to share with Patch.  They do a lot of valuable community-building.  The only objection I have to the BBB is their tendency to assume that their voice represents all Belli residents (definitely untrue), and their tendency to demonstrate a sense of ownership over all of Belli.  I'm sure we'll see both of those assumptions on display, AS WELL AS their generous donations of time and energy, during Belli's anniversary celebrations.

I'll update my map this week, taking into consideration some of the comments here (e.g. I will bid adieu to "Bellevaria", which IMHO is just the cleverest name ever lol, in favor of "Chalets".) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Pretty sure Three Mile Island is in the Trads where the green waterfall is located. I don't recall the pickle ever having a radiation incident.

The pickle (no other words on it, just the plain pickle) is that island. The squishy pickle was named because it looked like pickle island, only squished. They're two different places. But noting here that they're not official names. That's just what people started using. Use them for fun. Don't use them. It's a free choice.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Would one who lives in a "chalet" be called a "chaz", a "chad", or a "chav"?

For someone from the UK they wouldn't want to be known as a Chav. They are stereotyped as being young, low social class, loutish people wearing branded sportswear, UGG boots, chunky gold jewellery, inches thick makeup and lots of Burberry check clothing 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Polenth Yue said:

The pickle (no other words on it, just the plain pickle) is that island. The squishy pickle was named because it looked like pickle island, only squished. They're two different places. But noting here that they're not official names. That's just what people started using. Use them for fun. Don't use them. It's a free choice.

I thought you were referring to the houseboat "pickle" where the pickle bar is located. So here in Permaglow is where the "incident" occurred. permaglow.thumb.jpg.f9dfae9efd20d889a59d8499c0981bdc.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

OMG, WHAT??  You don't remember the immense party at the cooling towers?  The thread about 3 Mile Island (now known as region Permaglow) is hilarious. The towers themselves were, at that time, HUGE.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 147 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.