Official Bellisseria Subcontenent Names

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 81 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

For someone from the UK they wouldn't want to be known as a Chav. They are stereotyped as being young, low social class, loutish people wearing branded sportswear, UGG boots, chunky gold jewellery, inches thick makeup and lots of Burberry check clothing 

Yep! That's why I snuck that one in 😉

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Polenth Yue said:

The pickle (no other words on it, just the plain pickle) is that island. The squishy pickle was named because it looked like pickle island, only squished. They're two different places. But noting here that they're not official names. That's just what people started using. Use them for fun. Don't use them. It's a free choice.

Wasn't there a pickle that was the same as the first pickle, just flipped and reversed?

4 hours ago, primerib1 said:

And the area, though not mountainous, is not flat.

Sane people would refer to "not mountainous but not flat" as "hills".

Bellicosia Hills.

7 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

name itself is an invented word, no doubt derived from the Italian word for beautiful, Bellissimo.

Or perhaps from Belisarius, a warmongering Byzantine leader.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belisarius

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Wasn't there a pickle that was the same as the first pickle, just flipped and reversed?

I think you may be remembering a speculation that was posted as a map suggesting that the flipped and reversed pickle would fit in an area when people were speculating about future expansions. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I thought it was said in one of the meet the moles that the templates couldn't be flipped or rotated. 

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I think you may be remembering a speculation that was posted as a map suggesting that the flipped and reversed pickle would fit in an area people when people were speculating about future expansions. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I thought it was said in one of the meet the moles that the templates couldn't be flipped or rotated. 

Yeah, that sounds famliar!

One problem when you "skim the entire Forum", things tend to blur together.  But I do remember some layouts getting reused (as spotted by people in the threads). 

1 hour ago, Traci Quandry said:

Names of areas are nice but I wish that the rivers, bays etc, and that long waterway had names 

Lol, I don't even know in which regions I live. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I didn't know you were a Belliisserriiaa resident!

Well, Belli is my workstation more than my home to be honest. It is the place where I grumble over possible add-ons.
But for a few types I have a complete house inventory in a rezbox so I can live there for a few days/weeks within seconds if I want to.

My favorite is a Tortuga on the water, my boat next to the back deck.... let the weekend begin. 🛟

• Like 5

On 1/30/2024 at 6:55 PM, Nika Talaj said:

I will bid adieu to "Bellevaria", which IMHO is just the cleverest name ever lol, in favor of "Chalets"

I like Bellevaria better than Chalets, for what's it's worth, and certainly much more than anything involving nonexistent Alps.

• Like 3

On 1/30/2024 at 1:54 AM, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

"Mediterranea" ?  Did her N key break?!

Because that's a place name not an adjective nor a demonym.

Take, for example, the name of a country: Macedonia

Macedonian refers to something related to Macedonia (e.g., "Macedonian culture", "Macedonian economy") or a demonym (i.e., referring to people who came from Macedonia.)

Extend this to lots of country names. Australia. Indonesia. India. Guinea. Korea. Eritrea.

Hence, Mediterranea without "n" at the end.

If you're going to refer to things located there, or people who live there, then you add the "n".

Mediterranean homes. "I live on Mediterranea, so I am a Mediterranean."

Edited by primerib1
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2024 at 1:39 PM, Nika Talaj said:

I'm puzzled as to why the BBB is pushing @primerib1 's map, when the map available from a vendor in their own headquarters in Swordfish is this one.

BelliMapv1.thumb.jpg.8810349ca008eab41fb20e1d86ebb142.jpg

I haven't yet updated it to include the Mediterranean homes.  That said, I like her name for the Upper Clump (Pickle End).  She may have left out the Lower Clump, for which I suggest "Fishtown End".  I like her carving out "Victoria East";  and I suggest that my "North Houseboats" and her "New Islands" be combined to "North Islands".   I'm open to "StiltLands" instead of "StilHaven"; tho many of the stilts are not actually on Land of any kind.  I think the Campwich area DOES deserve it's own name, as I've done.

ETA: I plan to update this map soon with the Mediterraneans, some of Claire's names, and any other suggestions made here that folks seem to like.

Oh, dear. Those names are awfully cloying and cutesie.

On 1/29/2024 at 12:27 PM, Persephone Emerald said:

What do you think of these official names?

I think most of them are too long. What's wrong with just Newbrook or Sakura?

Many of you know of Governor Linden, who is not at all the old, somber, grey-bearded, God-like fellow you imagine but a friendly young Black woman in mod outfits (at least that's how she was when I last saw her in like 2007 -- she may shape-shift).

But you don't know of our dear Patron and Friend. Lt. Gov. Linden -- "leftenant" as the Brits call her and "lootenant" as we Americans call her, who represents as a kitsune fox.

Some people spot her and say this is Anuba. No, it's Lt. Gov. Linden who certified our Embassy of Ross (the Sansara region which is the magnetic centre of Second Life) in Fantasseria.

Lt. Gov. Linden has ruled that Claire M's map, which we provide for free at our embassy in the sim of Transformation, is the correct and true map of SL. Furthermore, the Inspector at the Embassy has also made this ruling.

"Squishy Pickle" is already dorky enough, we don't need more dork or cute on this thing.

On 2/1/2024 at 12:19 AM, primerib1 said:

Because that's a place name not an adjective nor a demonym.

Take, for example, the name of a country: Macedonia

Macedonian refers to something related to Macedonia (e.g., "Macedonian culture", "Macedonian economy") or a demonym (i.e., referring to people who came from Macedonia.)

Extend this to lots of country names. Australia. Indonesia. India. Guinea. Korea. Eritrea.

Hence, Mediterranea without "n" at the end.

If you're going to refer to things located there, or people who live there, then you add the "n".

Mediterranean homes. "I live on Mediterranea, so I am a Mediterranean."

I think you have to start with the fact that geography is NOT a strong point for Americans. Well, and people from New York like me are especially terrible.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Oh, dear. Those names are awfully cloying and cutesie.

Many of you know of Governor Linden, who is not at all the old, somber, grey-bearded, God-like fellow you imagine but a friendly young Black woman in mod outfits (at least that's how she was when I last saw her in like 2007 -- she may shape-shift).

But you don't know of our dear Patron and Friend. Lt. Gov. Linden -- "leftenant" as the Brits call her and "lootenant" as we Americans call her, who represents as a kitsune fox.

Some people spot her and say this is Anuba. No, it's Lt. Gov. Linden who certified our Embassy of Ross (the Sansara region which is the magnetic centre of Second Life) in Fantasseria.

Lt. Gov. Linden has ruled that Claire M's map, which we provide for free at our embassy in the sim of Transformation, is the correct and true map of SL. Furthermore, the Inspector at the Embassy has also made this ruling.

"Squishy Pickle" is already dorky enough, we don't need more dork or cute on this thing.

Oh, good to know.  I'd never heard of  Lt. Gov. Linden, but then as you know I'm not one of the - how did you put it? - ah, yes, FIC, which it appears you now are!   Oddly, I don't see an online profile or forum account for either ("Lt. Gov. Linden" or "Lieutenant ..."), but I'll trust that you met them.  Maybe it was just a group title.  Or perhaps you care enough about this to make this account up?

Personally, I find Claire's naming cumbersome when all you're doing is trying to locate neighborhoods of different themes, and was planning on de-cutifying a couple of names I use (as previously stated) in the next rev of my map, but c'est la whatever.  

I'll request that Claire's maps replace mine at the BBB, and not bother to post when I update mine, to avoid confusion.  Happy?

This is the first I've heard of LL ever getting involved with geographic nicknames, but I assume that now they have they will be providing Claire's maps at Belli's Community Centers, Pickles, and of course the wiki.  @Patch Linden, it will be good to have official names, no matter what they are.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Wouldn't Brits call her "Guv'ner" (or "Guv'na")?

5 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Oh, good to know.  I'd never heard of  Lt. Gov. Linden, but then as you know I'm not one of the - how did you put it? - ah, yes, FIC, which it appears you now are!   Oddly, I don't see an online profile or forum account for either ("Lt. Gov. Linden" or "Lieutenant ..."), but I'll trust that you met them.  Maybe it was just a group title.  Or perhaps you care enough about this to make this account up?

Personally, I find Claire's naming cumbersome when all you're doing is trying to locate neighborhoods of different themes, and was planning on de-cutifying a couple of names I use (as previously stated) in the next rev of my map, but c'est la whatever.  

I'll request that Claire's maps replace mine at the BBB, and not bother to post when I update mine, to avoid confusion.  Happy?

This is the first I've heard of LL ever getting involved with geographic nicknames, but I assume that now they have they will be providing Claire's maps at Belli's Community Centers, Pickles, and of course the wiki.  @Patch Linden, it will be good to have official names, no matter what they are.

Lt. Gov. Linden doesn't need to appear in the People List -- she just *is* as in.... "I Am*. She...manifests.

Lt. Gov. Linden inhabits a realm that is far beyond mere mortal contrivances like "People's Lists".

And actually, the less FIC you are, the more likely you will be able to see her, like the Little People. 

If you go to the Embassy of Ross, in Fantasseria, you can see her manifesting occasionally but the hologram machine is often out of order. C'est domage, you missed the grand opening...the grand re-opening...the grande grande grande re-opening *again* when trinkets of the Lt. Gov were handed out to the faithful. 

I think you can do as you like, as you have always done. I'm just indicating what officials have determined : )

PS We at the Embassy of Ross in Fantasseria, from the Magnetic Centre of Second Life, do not recognize the authority of any entity called "BBB" which of course is NOT at the Magnetic Centre of Second Life as we are. We have no affiliation with the BBB but merely provide information about obtaining BBB passports at our Embassy, which has a BBB stamp.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sparkle Bunny said:

We'd probably go with 'Ma'am'. Always best to be polite to the kitsune.

There you go. That's the ticket.

And I might add that after The Inspector was sent to, er, mid-career training sessions for 6 weeks recently, he has "gotten with the program" and stopped questioning the Truth of Ross which is:

o We are at the geographical centre of Second Life.

o We are indeed at the *magnetic* centre of Second Life.

Cars run uphill and boats sail backwards around this weird peninsula. See for yourself.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 81 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.