Missed It By 15mm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 141 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, PheebyKatz said:

True, a lot of people do try to represent themselves somewhat as they are in RL. I just don't get why people would come to SL and want places to allow nothing but people who present as if they are in (at least somebody's) RL.

SL just seems like a bad bet for people seeking to avoid all of those "SL types".

Unfortunately, if we want SL to be welcoming to "everyone", then it even needs to accommodate the small-minded.

Ironic Paradox is paradoxically ironic!

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Unfortunately, if we want SL to be welcoming to "everyone", then it even needs to accommodate the small-minded.

Ironic Paradox is paradoxically ironic!

I would say something about sims that advertise as "Everyone Welcome", and then follow it up with "NO CHILD AVATARS", but yeah, the Peeve thread is way over there... sigh.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

I would say something about sims that advertise as "Everyone Welcome", and then follow it up with "NO CHILD AVATARS", but yeah, the Peeve thread is way over there... sigh.

My place, while welcoming everyone is first and foremost an adult club with adult situations on an adult sim, so yes, nothing for children there.

If I was home and a kid walked up and tried to engage me, I'd be like really? Go home kid.

I don't have security, I'd just ban and kick them.

Its a little know fact that kids bounce 50% higher than adult avis when you kick and ban then (be sure to lock your camera on them first). 😂

And for all those saying oh you hypocrite.. not at all... their land their rules, my land my rules.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

And for all those saying oh you hypocrite.. not at all... their land their rules, my land my rules.

It's not hypocrite to do what you describe, but hypocrite to start a thread about being bounced for the same right somebody else used on you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

My place, while welcoming everyone is first and foremost an adult club with adult situations on an adult sim, so yes, nothing for children there.

If I was home and a kid walked up and tried to engage me, I'd be like really? Go home kid.

I don't have security, I'd just ban and kick them.

Its a little know fact that kids bounce 50% higher than adult avis when you kick and ban then (be sure to lock your camera on them first). 😂

I feel like I'm getting into dangerous territory by laughing at this . I agree with punting REAL child avatars across the sim, but mine are typically over 5 feet and still get confused for a 10 year old with breast as someone put it . Apparently Asian features are just unacceptable in second life .

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

I feel like I'm getting into dangerous territory by laughing at this . I agree with punting REAL child avatars across the sim, but mine are typically over 5 feet and still get confused for a 10 year old with breast as someone put it . Apparently Asian features are just unacceptable in second life .

You certainly don't sound like a child avatar to me. You would be more than welcome at my place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

My place, while welcoming everyone is first and foremost an adult club with adult situations on an adult sim...

This is excusable, and in the place profile for an adult club, it's not even hypocrisy. I'm not talking about finding adult clubs that say that, though, I'm talking about places on G or M rated sims, who make a big deal out of welcoming everyone except me, or people who look like me.

If you say "All Avatars Welcome", but then append something like "NO TINIES", in the place profile for, say, an 80's music club on a G- or M-rated sim, people might just wonder what your trauma was. It's SL, there are tinies. So I find it weird when that all-inclusive vibe is so ALL-CAPS shouty about not wanting my kind around.

That's all, it had nothing to do with your adult club or any of those adult situations which are so commonplace on your adult sim or anything, no worries.

*resists adding "Duh." at the very last moment*

*is also wondering if that thing someone said about "Asians" being typically short was intentionally stereotypical, being of "Asian" descent and just over 6ft tall IRL*

Well, at least we can all agree on one thing: It's better to be a little shorter than some people want you to be than a 14-foot tall monstrosity that doesn't realize it is one. Thank goodness 2009 is over.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

This is excusable, and in the place profile for an adult club, it's not even hypocrisy. I'm not talking about finding adult clubs that say that, though, I'm talking about places on G or M rated sims, who make a big deal out of welcoming everyone except me, or people who look like me.

If you say "All Avatars Welcome", but then append something like "NO TINIES", in the place profile for, say, an 80's music club on a G- or M-rated sim, people might just wonder what your trauma was. It's SL, there are tinies. So I find it weird when that all-inclusive vibe is so ALL-CAPS shouty about not wanting my kind around.

That's all, it had nothing to do with your adult club or any of those adult situations which are so commonplace on your adult sim or anything, no worries.

*is also wondering if that thing someone said about "Asians" being typically short was intentionally stereotypical, being of "Asian" descent and just over 6ft tall IRL*

Well, at least we can all agree on one thing: It's better to be a little shorter than some people want you to be than a 14-foot tall monstrosity that doesn't realize it is one. Thank goodness 2009 is over.

If It's a G or M music club, I can't understand why they would ban kids. Nothing adult is going on anyway.

I personally love being short. I think I'm about as short as the sliders go for a standard avi.

Its called "funsized"

And 5 ft 6 is really not short, its just short compared to all the giants that walk Second Life.

• Like 2

Just now, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Its called "funsized"

And 5 ft 6 is really not short, its just short compared to all the giants that walk Second Life.

Not to mention how many people are shorter than average in reality, which is quite normal. I'm of the opinion that if a person has an avatar that is obviously a representation of an adult person, and they are less than average height, that shouldn't ever even be an issue. Unfortunately, it sometimes is.

I honestly think that when it's an adult avatar who just happens not to be 6 or 7 feet tall, and they get picked on for height, it's someone just playing rules lawyer to try and crap on someone and justify it with a technicality.

Especially at clubs. People get territorial at clubs and bars, and they don't even need reasons that make sense, they just shoot down anyone else they can if they can, just because they can.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PheebyKatz said:

One of the regulars at a place I used to hang out, had an "Asian" avatar, shape and skin both made by an Asian content creator.

She was once accosted by an "avatar expert" who claimed they had run a modeling agency in SL, and told in no uncertain terms their avatar wasn't Asian enough because it was too tall at 5'10 in heels, had boobss bigger than an A- cup, and skin that wasn't a dark mustard yellow-brown colour.

She said she told him to bugger off.

And let's not forget that insane weirdo who claimed that any female in SL who was over 5'2 had "destroyed their avatar" and was a "weird alien made out of taffy".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

One of the regulars at a place I used to hang out, had an "Asian" avatar, shape and skin both made by an Asian content creator.

She was once accosted by an "avatar expert" who claimed they had run a modeling agency in SL, and told in no uncertain terms their avatar wasn't Asian enough because it was too tall at 5'10 in heels, had boobss bigger than an A- cup, and skin that wasn't a dark mustard yellow-brown colour.

She said she told him to bugger off.

And let's not forget that insane weirdo who claimed that any female in SL who was over 5'2 had "destroyed their avatar" and was a "weird alien made out of taffy".

I met a Chinese lady once, and I couldn't speak to her, because I was so in awe of her beauty. I think she knew it, too. She stood two heads taller than everyone else on the sidewalk, and when she walked, it was like watching a tree gracefully glide across the pavement.

Every time I saw her, I would just stop and space out at her as she passed me by.

I forgot what we were talking about. I may need to go sit quietly for a little while.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Change my view: SL's problem with height is mostly caused by the default shapes that come with mesh heads.

I just say this because I was playing with a default shape and noticed it and decided to look through a bunch of mesh heads...sure enough they were all set to giant-mode.

I know many people don't customize their shapes much, some seem to buy them from absurdly-expensive (imo) shape stores of course and I cannot confirm if these are most often giant-sized as well but the ones that come with heads definitely seem to be.

This seems to have persisted throughout SL history, even as the rest of the world has in general become more realistically sized. A mesh house made in the past I-don't-know-how-many years seems to be more realistically proportioned than the very old builds you sometimes encounter but then my SL history only goes back as far as 2017.

I love customizing my shape and have tweaked endlessly for years but the enduring popularity of shape stores and the apparently necessary inclusion of a selection of shapes with each mesh head and body suggests to me that most people just pick a default and they definitely seem to lead to 6+ feet tall women (or a lot more) and 7+ feet tall men.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

If It's a G or M music club, I can't understand why they would ban kids. Nothing adult is going on anyway.

I personally love being short. I think I'm about as short as the sliders go for a standard avi.

Its called "funsized"

In the US, petite sizes start at 5' 4". I'm 5' 3 3/4" and the pants legs are too short. 😬

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Change my view: SL's silly problem with height is caused by the default shapes that come with mesh heads.

I just say this because I was playing with a default shape and noticed it and decided to look through a bunch of mesh heads...sure enough they were all set to giant-mode.

I know many people don't customize their shapes much, some seem to buy them from absurdly-expensive (imo) shape stores of course and I cannot confirm if these are most often giant-sized as well but the ones that come with heads definitely seem to be.

I love customizing my shape and have tweaked endlessly for years but the enduring popularity of shape stores and the apparently necessary inclusion of a selection of shapes with each mesh head and body suggests to me that most people just pick a default and they definitely seem to lead to 6+ feet tall women (or a lot more) and 7+ feet tall men.

Avatars have trended taller than RL since I started in 2009.  It's not the shapes with the heads/bodies but the overall scale of SL.  Standing next to a couch or table, even ones made recently, will make your 5'6" avatar look like a child.  It's just the way it's always been although some creators are moving to more scaled down versions of furniture/houses/etc.

• Like 4

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

Avatars have trended taller than RL since I started in 2009.  It's not the shapes with the heads/bodies but the overall scale of SL.  Standing next to a couch or table, even ones made recently, will make your 5'6" avatar look like a child.  It's just the way it's always been although some creators are moving to more scaled down versions of furniture/houses/etc.

It's probably the things I surround myself with then, they don't feel excessively out of proportion. Of course though with 20+ years of SL history there's always going to be those things that look out of proportion.

I just wondered why exactly a mesh head released in 2023 for the most latest of SL looks included a default shape that made the wearer over 7 feet tall and I got curious and looked through my inventory to test some more.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Midnoot said:

5 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

This is something I've picked up on as someone who has used an Asian look on my avatar before, and listening to a few others I know that have. For some reason some people think that Asian avatars must be children and clearly have no idea what some Asian features look like. I've already heard people joke about the skin store Heaux for being children's skin store, when clearly most of their skins are Asian inspired, it's especially bad if your going for that more idol style look.

Then there's the people who think an Asian avatar has to look a specific way, height/eyes/build, etc, and also clearly have no idea what a wide range of variety actually exists in Asian countries. If you watch any Asian variety show where they go to various places, you can actually see what a wide range their actually is [true of any ethnicity really], but that is lost on some people. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, MissSweetViolet said:

This is something I've picked up on as someone who has used an Asian look on my avatar before, and listening to a few others I know that have. For some reason some people think that Asian avatars must be children and clearly have no idea what some Asian features look like. I've already heard people joke about the skin store Heaux for being children's skin store, when clearly most of their skins are Asian inspired, it's especially bad if your going for that more idol style look.

Then there's the people who think an Asian avatar has to look a specific way, height/eyes/build, etc, and also clearly have no idea what a wide range of variety actually exists in Asian countries. If you watch any Asian variety show where they go to various places, you can actually see what a wide range their actually is [true of any ethnicity really], but that is lost on some people. 

As an Asian hailing from the Philippines IRL, I thank you for this response. :)

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

How do you account for the issue having existed long before mesh heads or bodies existed in SL?

A lot of people have no real clue about how to shape a body using the standard proportions of the human body or exaggerate them on purpose.
A lot of SL avatars have too small heads (me included) or too small hands or too short arms or too long legs.
Thighs that are too thick in combination with a waist that is too thin. And and and. Just go trough the listings of next weekends sales on Seraphim. Half of the models (male and female) come straight from a circus side show.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Change my view: SL's problem with height is mostly caused by the default shapes that come with mesh heads.

Nope, the 8 ft tall prison gym guys were around long before mesh bodies became wide spread.

How to me macho in SSL, 2006 Captain Oldbie Special Edition

Height slider to 100, upper torso muscle slider to 100, lower torso slider to 50, shoulder width slider to 100, arm length slider to 100.

Then their girlfriends had to set their height to at least 7'6" or look like midgets.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

This is one reason why furniture needs to be modifiable. Your home can feel bigger and you can have more stuff in it when your avatar and furnishings are set to realistic sizes. The doorways and ceilings still need to be higher than in RL though.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

This is one reason why furniture needs to be modifiable. Your home can feel bigger and you can have more stuff in it when your avatar and furnishings are set to realistic sizes. The doorways and ceilings still need to be higher than in RL though.

In my last Linden home, I searched my inventory for different beds and was pretty surprised at the huge difference between the sizes of the different beds I had.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 141 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.