What would LL do if Amazon ever baned ALL adult content from its servers?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

So there is no ACTUAL downside...

You think that, until they raise back from the dead and migrate to the mainlands, slowly making their way past the zero second security orb as they are no longer players, just the remains of avatars brought back as a desperate attempt made by LL to create the illusion of life in SL.  The only safe spots, are those areas not connected to Bellisseria.

Animesh mechanisms, devoid of life, powered by ChatGPT, slowly moving through the mainland.. 

🧟‍♀️🧟‍♀️🧟‍♂️🧟‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

You think that, until they raise back from the dead and migrate to the mainlands, slowly making their way past the zero second security orb as they are no longer players, just the remains of avatars brought back as a desperate attempt made by LL to create the illusion of life in SL.  The only safe spots, are those areas not connected to Bellisseria.

Animesh mechanisms, devoid of life, powered by ChatGPT, slowly moving through the mainland.. 

🧟‍♀️🧟‍♀️🧟‍♂️🧟‍♂️

ahhh you mean Zindra, the SL orphan that is the only place that truly lives up to Second Life’s promise

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Don't blame me, I'm not the Linden that admitted that operating costs had gone UP due to the cloudcrap downgrade.

Yes but it wasn't just about the operating costs but the need to upgrade their own aging server farm. I'd assume a fair chunk of money was saved through that. It also gave them greater portability and may well have been a required factor in the sale of SL as the deal happened at the conclusion of the uplift. There was also some tentative plans to spread the server network to other continents for better accessibility for foreign residents.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

ahhh you mean Zindra, the SL orphan that is the only place that truly lives up to Second Life’s promise

It would be one of the only larger masses of land left in SL free from the reanimated animesh zombies.   The prices of property in Zindra would skyrocket, as people relocated there, the few remaining resources in Zindra would likewise skyrocket in price.  I imagine alliances would form, the land would be divided among several groups.  You would have the furries, the BDSM, as well as others all fighting among themselves, it would be absolute anarchy!  

And all of this could have been avoided, if I hadn't been prevented from sacrificing a few noobies to the gods.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

There was also some tentative plans to spread the server network to other continents for better accessibility for foreign residents.

Yeah right...

Except that was obviously hot-garbage, because SL's functionality depends on communication between servers, having half of them on the other side of the planet breaks the grid, teleports from US based region servers to EU based region servers or Japan based region servers would be a nightmare.

It's one of those "ideas" that some user dreamed up because they talk out of their ass, and which Oz said "we'll think about it" the way he always did when responding to daft requests.

"We'll take it under advisement" is Managerial speak for "that's bloody stupid, but I won't actually tell you that".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Yeah right...

Except that was obviously hot-garbage, because SL's functionality depends on communication between servers, having half of them on the other side of the planet breaks the grid, teleports from US based region servers to EU based region servers or Japan based region servers would be a nightmare.

How do you figure? I've run server instances in that way myself on a small scale and it was entirely doable and presented certain advantages to my partner and I when some of it was on my server in Canada and hers in the UK. Certainly didn't break the grid.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

How do you figure? I've run server instances in that way myself on a small scale and it was entirely doable and presented certain advantages to my partner and I when some of it was on my server in Canada and hers in the UK. Certainly didn't break the grid.

Under current "All servers in Oregon"

100 ms from Europe to the servers in Oregon, plus 100 ms back to Europe, total ping, 200 ms.

Under proposed "OZ lied to you when he said they were considering it Cloud Cuckoo Land Local Sim servers for local idiots"

100 ms from Europe to Oregon for the login server,  plus 300  ms from Oregon to Australia to the sim server you were last on,  plus 300 ms from Australia to Argentina to the sim server you want to teleport to, plus 250 ms from Argentina back to Oregon, plus 200 ms from Oregon back to Europe, plus...

You starting to get the idea?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Under current "All servers in Oregon"

100 ms from Europe to the servers in Oregon, plus 100 ms back to Europe, total ping, 200 ms.

Under proposed "OZ lied to you when he said they were considering it Cloud Cuckoo Land Local Sim servers for local idiots"

100 ms from Europe to Oregon for the login server,  plus 300  ms from Oregon to Australia to the sim server you were last on,  plus 300 ms from Australia to Argentina to the sim server you want to teleport to, plus 250 ms from Argentina back to Oregon, plus 200 ms from Oregon back to Europe, plus...

You starting to get the idea?

Except that some of them are concurrent, not in addition to. This stuff happens in Opensim all the time where servers are across the world and hypergrid jumps even to other grids, take no to little extra time then a regular teleport from a server located all on one server.

• Like 1

Once at an event releasing Cory Doctorow's book inworld, I got into conversation with Philip Linden himself, and I said something about the limitations of the book device of that era.

"Someone will make everything," said Philip confidently. Someone will make a better mousetrap.

That's the mantra of the virtual world.

Another time, I went to report on TechCrunch in NYC and I managed to catch up with Marissa Meyer, who was at Google back then. I noted that one of the popular apps at the fair had the ability to search inside the app for music *and it wasn't in Google*.

I could see her brain whirring.

"Someone will make something for it," she said, and of course today, no one remembers that app and Spotify is in Google. You can hum a tune to Google Assistant and she will find it for you.

So if SL dies tomorrow, or if Amazon strangely forbids all adult content (how could they possibly do that, given all the web sites that run on their servers???), someone else will make a thing.

"Someone will make everything."

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

"Someone will make everything."

And design it as a pay-to-play subscription service with goods and services outsourced to professional, external companies, as well as seeking to employ data-harvesting as an important revenue source. And all of those things will entail producing something that is in no recognizable way "like" Second Life.

I tend to believe that one of the reasons that SL has never had a serious competitor offering something similar is that its business model isn't scalable. You simply can't make enough money to satisfy the demands of modern tech investors without distorting what we have here out of all recognition.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I tend to believe that one of the reasons that SL has never had a serious competitor offering something similar is that its business model isn't scalable. You simply can't make enough money to satisfy the demands of modern tech investors without distorting what we have here out of all recognition.

I like this!

Another take on it:  If SL is sustainable "now" because of all the user-generated content, then it would take an unreasonable amount of time for a "new SL" / "SL replacement" to ramp up to a similar level of user-generated content.  (Except that maybe things like PBR could make it "easier"..)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Its a legit question... will LL ban all adult content inworld, or just give up and shut down Second Life

I would classify the question as not particularly relevant as the probability is close to zero that Amazon would prohibit content that is otherwise legal in the US. If SL were hosting illegal content, the situation changes. My understanding is that AWS prohibits illegal content.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, diamond Marchant said:

I would classify the question as not particularly relevant as the probability is close to zero that Amazon would prohibit content that is otherwise legal in the US. If SL were hosting illegal content, the situation changes. My understanding is that AWS prohibits illegal content.

I totally agree.

IMHO, the assertion is not valid that the question is "legit". It is merely a "hypothetical" question.

All questions must be legitimate even if they are hypothetical.
The (hypothetical) situation put forward by the OP has obviously generated interest.
The core question may not be relevant now, but it could very well become very relevant in, say, five years time or so.

14 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

It is theoretical, I’m just wondering… what if…. and inviting others to comment.

what if they start with, and they shóuld, put micro-parceling at the reportable abuse offense list.? .. That's bringing more inconvinience as the whole adult part of SL, what's easy to avoid.

If Amazon ever banned all adult content from it's servers and by that we mean the cloud data processed in their AWS product, they will have a lot bigger problem on their hands as they will breach their privacy policy. Cloud data is suppose to be encrypted using public and private keys to access it and process it by their customers. The provider doesn't have access to read the data, they are suppose to only host it. IF it were to happen they will lose millions of dollars in revenue which no company wants to do and they will receive hundreds if not thousand of lawsuits for breach of data.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

I don't recall saying it was relevant, or even possible.

But, pedo philia was banned, and now the British police are investigating the virtual sexual assault of a minor as if it happened in RL. If the police manage to arrest the perpetrators for cartoon sexual assault (assuming the perps were in Britain), that puts all illegal sexual activities in jeopardy. Not consensual sex between adults of course, BUT any rp sex that involves force.

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Another take on it:  If SL is sustainable "now" because of all the user-generated content, then it would take an unreasonable amount of time for a "new SL" / "SL replacement" to ramp up to a similar level of user-generated content.  (Except that maybe things like PBR could make it "easier"..)

There is a game series called "Saint's Row".

The world map for the 3rd and 4th games in the series was about 5km by 4km, say 300 or so SL regions.

The team that produced that "world" ran to somewhere between 50 and 75 coders, 50 odd 3D modellers, 50 odd 2D texture artists, 50 sound artists, about 70 odd QA testers, and that doesn't include ANY of the coder/modeller/texture/sound/QA staff at the company subcontracted to do all the vehicles.

That team typically took a couple of years to churn out a "world" of 300 or so regions. And that's "professionals" who actually know what they are doing

Imagine how long it would take a team to make a "world" of over 27700 regions, like SL

Nobody WANTSS to try and compete with SL, because it's too much work and too much time, and too much money to try and take over a SMALL niche market that won't repay the cost with a high enough return on investment in an acceptable time frame to satisfy bankers, hedge fund managers, and venture capitalists.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aiyumei said:

If Amazon ever banned all adult content from it's servers and by that we mean the cloud data processed in their AWS product, they will have a lot bigger problem on their hands as they will breach their privacy policy. Cloud data is suppose to be encrypted using public and private keys to access it and process it by their customers. The provider doesn't have access to read the data, they are suppose to only host it. IF it were to happen they will lose millions of dollars in revenue which no company wants to do and they will receive hundreds if not thousand of lawsuits for breach of data.

LOL Amazon doesn't have to look at encrypted data. They merely need to have someone from Amazon log in, see all the degeneracy and perversity rampant in Second Life, and say whoa, we aren't going to be associated with such filth. LL, clean up your act, or we will boot you from our servers.

😂

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

There is a game series called "Saint's Row".

The world map for the 3rd and 4th games in the series was about 5km by 4km, say 300 or so SL regions.

The team that produced that "world" ran to somewhere between 50 and 75 coders, 50 odd 3D modellers, 50 odd 2D texture artists, 50 sound artists, about 70 odd QA testers, and that doesn't include ANY of the coder/modeller/texture/sound/QA staff at the company subcontracted to do all the vehicles.

That team typically took a couple of years to churn out a "world" of 300 or so regions. And that's "professionals" who actually know what they are doing

Imagine how long it would take a team to make a "world" of over 27700 regions, like SL

Nobody WANTSS to try and compete with SL, because it's too much work and too much time, and too much money to try and take over a SMALL niche market that won't repay the cost with a high enough return on investment in an acceptable time frame to satisfy bankers, hedge fund managers, and venture capitalists.

Second Life is a one time phenomenon that will never be repeated. LL knows it and will keep it going as long as it is profitable.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
changed words

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I like this!

SL's existence in a way hampers the development of new virtual world software IMHO, indeed because of all the user generated content, but when it has to close it's gates for whatever reason, that argument is no longer valid.

New developers could start from scratch in that case, do things differently, use the latest techniques, leave out the SL flaws (and create new ones, no doubt about that too).
Most SL creators can jump on the next train, they have the knowledge and creativity to make stuff and their own data base of textures and models on their HD's and clouds.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.