Did SL abandon legacy names? The pool is stagnant.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 147 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not completely sure, and to lazy to read all back, i thought they have limits set in the amount of used new names. So that could explain why most stay longer as the real legacies did, however some of them also got a lót more users as some others that even hardly came over 1k or less.
But the new ones didn't roulate as often yet, however there are several names gone from the list in the time it's used.

• Like 1

I don't think new names will get anywhere near the same circulation as old legacy names, because these ones cost people real money. That's probably why they haven't added to them the same way. If they have some arbitrary number they intend to retire a new last name, it's pretty doubtful most will hit it.

I have no desire to change my last name, even if it was resident. I wouldn't pay the money to change it because I think it's a stupid idea to pay at all, but the price now is ridiculously high for no reason. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The current rotation happens only for and after some "events", like the recent Halloween one. They've rotated out 8 last names and added temporary Halloween ones, which are now replaced by 8 regular ones. Next rotation will be for Xmas most likely.

Aside of that there're also rotations for SLB, Fantasy Faire, Valentine's, mother's and father's days. Perhaps I forgot about one or two more, but even with those it's 7 "special" rotations and 7 regular ones per year, although quanity of last names does vary, I believe mother's/father's day ones only had 3-4 options.

From my observation it's the very unpopular ones that get rotated out to make a room for the holiday/new ones, while some popular ones stick around for ages.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Fading Starlight said:

Every so often I check to see if there are any new legacy names available and there rarely are unless they're seasonal holiday names. After two years does Vortex still need to be an option? The turn over takes too long. How do you all feel?

As far as I can tell, only the holiday names get changed. The non-holiday ones seem to be permanent. Which is a real shame.  It's still a useful feature if you want a single-word name (that hasn't been previously used) - as I did.  I'd change to Matti McKenna if I could, but I doubt there will be many, if any, non-holiday names on offer going forward.

Probably a good thing; it saves me about £50.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maitimo said:

As far as I can tell, only the holiday names get changed. The non-holiday ones seem to be permanent.

While some seem to stay around for ages, the non-holiday ones definitely aren't permanent, I can say as much. But whether they replace them after a certain number of users chose them (like someone above mentioned, I'm pretty sure I've read that this was at least the plan), or after a certain time, or combination of that, or even purposely keep the more popular ones around for longer than they should, for more sales, I can't tell.

I check for new names every once in a while, usually before a season, and while I don't do bookkeeping, there are non-seasonal names that disappear. Sharing the sentiment that the rotation takes too long, though, even though I check quite rarely, as some names really seem to hang around for a small forever, so that would have to be either names that few people pick, so the limit number isn't reached yet, or they keep popular ones around even they should retire them, but the latter doesn't make too much sense, they should be able to replace them with other certainly popular ones.

I'd love to know that mystery limit number, and whether they eventually retire unpopular names that don't reach that number, after a certain time, or just keep them up until they do. 

Edited by InnerCity Elf
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Why do people still go on about getting a "real" name. We have display names.

Because the Clueless Captain Oldbies spent over a decade talking down to anybody who had the last name "Resident", sneering at anyone who used a display name with comments such as "I've never used a display name, I don't NEED to, *I* have a REAL name", and demanding that "Real Names" be brought back, so they could spam throwaway alts on "Funny Punny Names", that would log in once for a laugh, then vanish into the pool of 60+ million inactive accounts.

Odds are if LL introduced "Oldbie" as a name option, some clown would make "Captain Oldbie" just to try and troll the forum, for the "lolz".

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Fading Starlight said:

Well, I'm not sure where the nastiness came from, but why do I want a 'real' name? Well, certainly not to talk down to anyone. It's an aesthetic choice. My current name is very much a male name and I'd like to play a female character.

Unless you're talking about an alt whose name is very much male, Fading is less male than my name.  You can certainly just change your first name, keeping your current last name if that first name is available in combination with your last name.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3

On 11/23/2023 at 1:24 PM, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Because the Clueless Captain Oldbies spent over a decade talking down to anybody who had the last name "Resident", sneering at anyone who used a display name with comments such as "I've never used a display name, I don't NEED to, *I* have a REAL name", and demanding that "Real Names" be brought back, so they could spam throwaway alts on "Funny Punny Names", that would log in once for a laugh, then vanish into the pool of 60+ million inactive accounts.

Odds are if LL introduced "Oldbie" as a name option, some clown would make "Captain Oldbie" just to try and troll the forum, for the "lolz".

or....   LL saw a way to charge a VAST amount of REAL DOLLARS for changing a database entry...  and we Clueless Captain Oldbies encouraged them, because we have Real Dollars to burn on such frivolities.

• Like 3

On 11/23/2023 at 11:39 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I personally never refer to anyone by their log in name if they have a display name set.

Ya, me too, that's basic politeness to me if they put a display name. I personally, though, was sick of all the scripts in greeters, doors, etc., referring to me as "Jane53279.Resident" (not literally, but you get my drift), having to log in as "Jane53279 Resident", and seeing it in lists all the time, when other people had pretty, or funny, or relevant (useable as rp names) names, just because they happened to be a bit older or had discovered SL sooner.

The sneery type of oldbies definitely exist, but they'll keep being sneery anyway; they'll look at your SL birth year, or will make sure to learn the "new old names" by heart, to be able to immediately, without having to check your birth year, feel awesomely superior to you. I JUMPED at the pretty name option, not because of sneery oldbies, but as a treat for myself, because "Resident" ain't a pretty name, at least not to me, and, sure, I think it's overly expensive, considering that people who happened to join before whenever got them completely for free, but I consider it a contribution to SL's existence, same as I pay for clothes, or rent, or premium, etc.

ETA: not even sure why we need to discuss this in a thread with this title, but whatever 😄

Edited by InnerCity Elf
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, InnerCity Elf said:

Ya, me too, that's basic politeness to me if they put a display name. I personally, though, was sick of all the scripts in greeters, doors, etc., referring to me as "Jane53279.Resident" (not literally, but you get my drift), having to log in as "Jane53279 Resident", and seeing it in lists all the time, when other people had pretty, or funny, or relevant (useable as rp names) names, just because they happened to be a bit older or had discovered SL sooner.

The sneery type of oldbies definitely exist, but they'll keep being sneery anyway; they'll look at your SL birth year, or will make sure to learn the "new old names" by heart, to be able to immediately, without having to check your birth year, feel awesomely superior to you. I JUMPED at the pretty name option, not because of sneery oldbies, but as a treat for myself, because "Resident" ain't a pretty name, at least not to me, and, sure, I think it's overly expensive, considering that people who happened to join before whenever got them completely for free, but I consider it a contribution to SL's existence, same as I pay for clothes, or rent, or premium, etc.

ETA: not even sure why we need to discuss this in a thread with this title, but whatever 😄

This.

As for why, it has bearing on why the names don't change much.

Back when, names quickly got filled up, both by real accounts, and by the Captain Oldbie's with the throwaway funny-punny names. so LL used to rotate the lists regularly.

Then they got riid of them, because of the funny-punny attempts.

Oz admitted this someplace.

They ditched last names because somebody in marketing noticed a massive amout of "failed signups", and that most "failed" at choosing a last name, so they removed last names because "too hard for noobs".

In reality it was the Captain Oldbie, trying loads of funny-punny, then after every one they wanted was "that name is in use", refreshing the page to get the next part of the available list, and again and again.

Captain Oldbie killed last names by abusing the system.

Then Captain Oldbie spent a decade demanding their return, and sniping at "mere residents", while waiting for the return of "free last names".

When last names did return, as a pay to win option, Captain Oldbie was not happy! No free funny-punny, and a load of filthy noobs and alts under a decade old, running around like they were REAL people, just because they could afford to cough up 40 or 50 dollars. Disgusting!

So now names get taken up a LOT slower than they used to, so there's less incentive to rotate the list, instead of the number of available names being long enough that you had to refresh the page to see a different subset at account creation, they all fit in a small block.

All the names on one page, and they stay there till they get enough mileage, or until it's obvious that they stink on ice and won't sell. And a handful of special holiday names for a week or so, a few times a year.

Considering they already used most of the "mommy and daddy" names for Mothers/Fathers days in previous years, next year they will REALLY have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for options. Prepare your complaints about how bad they will be now to avoid the rush later.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/23/2023 at 5:24 AM, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I stopped sneering at the Resident last name within the first year. People can't help it if they joined SL more recently.

I think Oldbie would be a great last name. Imagine Countess Oldbie as a sneering vampire with elegant clothing. ObiWanKanobi Oldbie would be cool too.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Considering they already used most of the "mommy and daddy" names for Mothers/Fathers days in previous years, next year they will REALLY have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for options. Prepare your complaints about how bad they will be now to avoid the rush later.

Mhhh, I think there's a disclaimer somewhere, that they might reuse seasonal names, though, they did think this through, it seems, it's money, after all. So, none of us new money noblesse with a seasonal name can rest in the peaceful knowledge of having managed to snag a really nice last name that'll be retired soon-ish and becoming one of precious few. We could check the birth year, though, and refer to ourselves as "Elfs (or Daddys, or Hollypaws, or whatever) of the First Generation", or "Vintage Elfs (etc.), and still be sneery towards both the Resident Commoners, and the following generations of seasonal nobles, what a deal! ;)

16 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I stopped sneering at the Resident last name within the first year. People can't help it if they joined SL more recently.

Yes, I've always understood that wanting a pretty name in a virtual world is a thing, but never understood the concept of sneering at the poor fellows who already can't claim they haven't been there since the inception or at least the prim age ;).

When I read about that there's actually a market of people selling/buying "legacy names" (forbidden as it is, so, with the risk of losing a paid account, or even potentially being banned for good) that's beeen a real eye opener as to how much people really wanted a pretty name (whether or not because of experienced sneering), and I wondered for years, why SL doesn't bring them back, either for free, or even as an additional money source.

The only thing I could imagine holding them back, was the sneery type of oldbies going into a huff, as they'd see it as kind of a downgrade of themselves, like when a real world country decides to downgrade nobles' names, and the "of" to be taken away from their names, so that "Jane of Doe" will have to suffer her further existence as "Jane Doe".

Fun fact, while running around in-world, minding my own business, someone IMed me out of the blue, wanting to buy my name... and that was many months into names being buyable; no idea if they were a very ill-informed newbie, or a (relative) oldbie living under a rock and not in the know, or someone with no trust in their own creative skills, or someone hoping for a good deal (but heck, you can't just buy a name without the attached account, so why would someone give you a deal for less than they paid, plus hand over all the goodies like mesh head, body, ao, and so on that they sunk more money into...).

I know I should've stayed and found out, but I'm a scaredycat, so I fled. 🙀.

It's quite an interesting topic, actually, sneering, and all, and imagine how much money governments could make by allowing people to change their names, apart from through marriage, and without needing to jump through hoops of proving that having their predecessor's name is psychologically unbearable to them. It would be an organisational nightmare as of now, but maybe in future, we'll have user-IDs stamped into ourselves somehow, so they won't mind if we want to go under Johnny Mnemonic instead of John Doe.

Edited by InnerCity Elf
clarification
  • Like 1

If I recall, "M"...or was it that Rod guy?...one of the CEO's between Philip and Ebbe, envisioned making SL more of a virtual Facebook, and couldn't comprehend Residents wanting, and liking, both "first" and "last" names. So got rid of the last names thinking that new users would just use their RL names, with Resident tacked on. Only, that's not what happened and that's not how SL users wanted it. But maybe I'm not recalling correctly, or just heard that as a rumor somewhere. It was so long ago and whichever CEO it was didn't last long. Because Second Life isn't, nor should it be, Facebook.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

And here's the new crop of names...

The following winter-themed names are only available for a limited time:  
Snowfox
Icicle
Evergreen
Candycane
Frostypaws
Yulepurr
Jollyfluff
Tidings
Tinsel
Feliz

If I had plenty of money to blow, Tasha Frostypaws would be a cute name for my wolf.

• Like 1

"Icicle" is a fun and pretty word to me to look at, "Tidings" is a pretty word  too, but as names, no. Evergreen is tempting, though, almost worth a new alt.

Edited by InnerCity Elf
Sorry, tried to edit add here, but failed and forced to a new post :/
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, InnerCity Elf said:

"Icicle" is a fun and pretty word to me to look at, "Tidings" is a pretty word  too, but as names, no. Evergreen is tempting, though, almost worth a new alt.

Anny Evergreen

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 147 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.