Did SL abandon legacy names? The pool is stagnant.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 147 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 12/2/2023 at 5:15 PM, Rowan Amore said:

And here's the new crop of names...

The following winter-themed names are only available for a limited time:  
Snowfox
Icicle
Evergreen
Candycane
Frostypaws
Yulepurr
Jollyfluff
Tidings
Tinsel
Feliz

I can only hear this in my head, it the most outrageous Valley Girl type voice ... "My name's like totally Brandi Candycane, with an "i"!"

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

On 12/2/2023 at 5:15 PM, Rowan Amore said:

And here's the new crop of names...

The following winter-themed names are only available for a limited time:  
Snowfox
Icicle
Evergreen
Candycane
Frostypaws
Yulepurr
Jollyfluff
Tidings
Tinsel
Feliz

Of all those, "Yulepurr" seems like the most useable for Puns..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/23/2023 at 8:24 AM, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Because the Clueless Captain Oldbies spent over a decade talking down to anybody who had the last name "Resident", sneering at anyone who used a display name with comments such as "I've never used a display name, I don't NEED to

How do you come up with this stuff? Amazing.

• Like 2

Letting us pick the complete name spells too much trouble, I imagine. The usually not so realistic available names reduce the possibility of people registering other really existing people's name, including celebrities' or "celebrities'", or TM characters names, or more possibilities of "inappropriate" names, too, and there are more and more of those, naturally, as time passes, then they'd need to maintain more checking, and do "verified names", and such...

Also, the fixed surnames are "an SL thing", tradition, plus it would take away the element of the hunt, the disappointment at a crop of personally unusable names, the thrill of discovering one that might be right, the apprentice of whether it's still available in combination with your wishful first name, all that... 🫧

It's just a bit of fun for me, I'm fine with the fixed last name system, now that at least everyone has a chance at a go at it, paid for, and many people surely having other priorities for their $, as it is, but that's with other things, too. 

• Like 4

LL could really recycle older already used last names. It happens in RL too, every generation again.
And maybe clean out the closets with accounts that did not log in for more than 10 years,  after a fair warning mail to the owner first.
That would free tons of first name \ last name combinations.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

On 12/5/2023 at 2:10 AM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Peak genealogy has been reached. The only names that matter have already been released: UwU, Pancake, Waffle. It is inevitable that everything from here will go downhill.

I want Hamster.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 10:47 AM, Sid Nagy said:

LL could really recycle older already used last names. It happens in RL too, every generation again.
And maybe clean out the closets with accounts that did not log in for more than 10 years,  after a fair warning mail to the owner first.
That would free tons of first name \ last name combinations.

There's no way LL could know the situation for each old account holder, so I don't see what could fair about it.  Examples I thought of immediately were : a deceased spouse's account where the spouse wants to keep up the partnership (but doesn't want to break the rules by taking over the avatar), someone whose financial situation has been dire enough that they could not replace a failed computer, or someone who's been very ill for that length of time, perhaps in a coma.  These things might be uncommon but they happen.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 147 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.