You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 178 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

17 hours ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

@Teresa FirelightWhere is the land page? My account home page is still connected to the old page.

Both land pages seem to be active, and you can navigate to either. From your dashboard:

• If you click on the big "Get your Home Now" box on the right, you go to the old land page. 
  • If instead, you choose "Land Manager" from the menu on the left, then pick "Linden Home", you get the new land page.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

@Teresa FirelightWhere is the land page? My account home page is still connected to the old page.

Don't even need to be logged in to see it:

https://secondlife.com/land/lindenhomes?lindenHomesPage=1

As I type this Ranch is on there.

I hope we hear back from the original poster if they were able to use this to get into one...

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I noticed that this new batch runs extremely close to that odd piece of mainland that sticks out sideways and looks like "rando estate land" because it was made by an estate company years back.

Hopefully that means ranch will get either coast in that direction or connect to mainland there.Screenshot2023-11-10110011.png.6f8bfc3714729fb3965108f178b09d03.png

- Yes, that's actually mainland. Near as I know it's the only piece of mainland that doesn't pretend to be a continent.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

I noticed that this new batch runs extremely close to that odd piece of mainland that sticks out sideways and looks like "rando estate land" because it was made by an estate company years back.

Hopefully that means ranch will get either coast in that direction or connect to mainland there.Screenshot2023-11-10110011.png.6f8bfc3714729fb3965108f178b09d03.png

- Yes, that's actually mainland. Near as I know it's the only piece of mainland that doesn't pretend to be a continent.

The artist sims based on their names. I had a place once there across from a Linden.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

Most likely coastline. There is no public road or waterway there, but there is further north. I expect the northern connection from Sansara to be from an open waterway there (I forget the name) to the next 2048m theme subcontinent.

• Like 3

I've had this PP account since it was first offered and I don't feel it's a scam.

I got a Ranch after a few days of trying which is normal when there's a new style. I took a random one as the "choice" function was not available yet for Ranches. And I'll leave it at that, as it's a stamp venue.

I see Ranches since then I know others have gotten them. Yes, it's frustrating but I don't think it's a scam. Try again now that everyone is enamored with tree houses. And they'll have the 2048 in other styles soon. I'm not usually a Linden fanboy but I don't see "scam" here as much as "scarcity".

You don't mention the uploads which for me, is the entire rationale of the account as I have a ton of uploads. I don't care about groups, and if you need 2048 tier, you could add to a premium with less cost. All my stipends get sucked into search/places fees (which I think should be made free as well on this account!).

I think if you need an instant ranch and you don't care about uploads, this is not the account for you. Get 2048 abandoned in one of the many HUUUGE fields across the Mainland and put your cattle there. Rollin', rollin', rollin!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

It wasn't "made by an estate company" exactly.

There is actually a way more interesting back story here.

Back when the Lindens used to auction entire sims and in large amounts, they would open telehub parcels at high bids as they would start at $10/m or go up from there to $20/m or higher.

At a certain point, Anshe Chung figured out, or word was leaked to them, that the Lindens were retiring the telehubs (much maligned by oldbies and appreciated by midbies trying to break into the market) and moving to p2p so they wouldn't be needed (ostensibly -- a separate debate).

So then instead of RENTING telehub parcels to her ready list of clients, she began SELLING telehub land. I distinctly remember my shock at seeing the telehub land in Monema for sale. She used to keep even copies of her rental clients' stores, so in the middle of the night when the auction was won as she was the highest bidder, she would quickly slap down those stores on behalf of her clients so they wouldn't miss a minute of sales.

I know because I once miraculously snagged some telehub land when somebody let it go for a song, and she rented it, then re-rented it to her own client.

But while all this was happening, some of the midbies who had bought telehub land inworld suddenly for the low price of $7 or $8 meter, instead of $10+ on the auction -- not realizing that it was now useless as LL wouldn't drive traffic there any more via the telehub system --  found out about the p2p impending and began to cry foul. A group of land dealers demanded a meeting with Philip Linden, then head of LL. They accused LL of "bait and switch" and began threatening lawsuits. They stood up in the meeting and said they'd dump their land unless Philip put this situation right and provided compensation. It wasn't really the Lindens who did bait and switch; it was more the land barons who knew about p2p but weren't telling, and sold the land anyway. Even so, LL didn't fairly announce it, either.

Philip, to his credit offered the following:

o LL would buy back telehub land that anyone currently owned, whether just won from an auction or purchased on the secondary market, for $7.5/meter;

o for those who wanted to develop the telehubs into infohubs, the new entity, to serve their surrounding communities, they could have the Linden Land (usually around 4096) set to their group, after submitting proposals to be approved. So there were around a dozen resident groups that took this option, my group included.

Anshe opted for the buyback, and the Lindens had to bring giant delivery trucks of Linden cash to her for all her enormous holdings of old and new telehub land.

Now what? Anshe had a load of cash, but she was already dominating the new prime waterfront on the then-newest continents like Jaegeot, and Lindens took even longer then to cash out and turn to dollars to buy islands. 

Then the Lindens got their own back. It was *the Lindens* -- not "an estate owner* -- that rolled out that funny new continent that looked like islands in a way in terms of white sand, but was mainland, even if not contiguous in the way it worked. A new type of sim which was "pine" was created with forests and waterways. The white sand was in big demand, like Cancun. The sims were all named for scientists and artists and a few land barons.

In my view, this was the Lindens' solution to having their back up against the wall, being forced to compensate the victims of land barons in this situation, as I look at it now. And this is a VERY GOOD example of why PROTEST AND CRITICISM IS ALWAYS NEEDED, and LL is to be credited for coming up with creative solutions.

So....To stay on top of the market, Anshe was forced to take her telehub compensation funds, and buy heavily into those science/art sims, gritting her teeth. She flipped a lot of it to lesser barons who were overjoyed. And gradually she got off the Mainland. Remember in the game of Second Life, the house always wins.

Those funny sims have been flipped to death -- we have personally come and gone from there -- and any estate owner once associated with them is long go. It's Mainland, at the end of the day.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 8

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 178 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.