Support group for Second Life residents who can't read

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 218 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

19 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

If any residents out there can't read or write please let me know because I am starting this thread to support you. 

Just reply to this and I'll try to help. 

and you write that on a forum ...
( not saying your offer is bad!.. but half of your targetted people won't be able to see what it is about)

Edited by Alwin Alcott

This thread reminds me of trips to Mexico in the 1980's.

I saw People lined up to pay and dictate to someone, who would type their message on a manual typewriter.

The typist would sit on the sidewalk in a chair, with their manual typewriter on a small portable stand.

That same scene could have been straight out of any year since the manual typewriter was invented.

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Kind of offensive.

1. The few people I've met in RL who could not read, explained that they had undiagnosed dyslexia as a child.  So, it was truly a disability for them.

From that point of view, yeah. Ableism.

2. Taking this thread from a more serious "what could it have to do with the Forum" viewpoint:  probably many on the Forum who seem to have very poor writing skills are either not "English as a First Language", or are disadvantaged in some other way. 

So, yeah - now that you mention it.

9 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

If any residents out there can't read or write please let me know because I am starting this thread to support you. 

Peut-être qu'ils ne sont pas doués pour écrire en anglais, mais maîtrisent-ils d'autres langues?

Êtes-vous multilingue? Dans quelle mesure seriez-vous performant sur un forum néerlandais ou français ?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Peut-être qu'ils ne sont pas doués pour écrire en anglais, mais maîtrisent-ils d'autres langues?

Êtes-vous multilingue? Dans quelle mesure seriez-vous performant sur un forum néerlandais ou français ?

Exactly one of my points earlier, Scylla!

I had to use Google Translate this to make sure I wasn't missing out on an indecent proposition, i.e. "Voulez-vous coucher avec moi?".

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

We need to get you formally on board @ Whole Brain Health where they teach various classes related to language learning.

Message me inworld and I'll get you set up.

1 minute ago, BillFletcher said:

that depends if no one can tell it's an issue, if only some can't tell it might just be over their heads.

Yes, and 

19 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

We also need help for those who have "comprehension" issues!

Bonus: Carol Burnett was the spokesperson for the 1970's campaign "RIF", "Reading Is Fundamental".

From the RIF YouTube channel:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'm deaf, dumb, blind, oversexed and own a liquor store. Can you help me?

I can drink the liquor and tickle you?

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 218 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.