Negative Roomate Experience With Someone I Met In Second Life

RealTrueMe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 206 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• RealTrueMe changed the title to Negative Roomate Experience With Someone I Met In Second Life

Wow.

Good that you don't give names, because that would be against the rules of this forum. It sounds like you were lucky to get out of that bad situation safely and that you learned some valuable lessons from it.

People can be wonderful in SL and still have RL issues that could make them bad a housemate, romanitic partner, coworker, etc. 

• Like 2

I had a very negative experience meeting an online friend in real life (not SL, this was years ago). I am very cautious about meeting people now unless it is in a group setting. And it is important to remember too that people can be on their best behaviour at first, with their true colours only showing with time and proximity. I had chatted with my online friend for years before meeting her, and it was only on my second visit to her country that she showed what she was really like (violent and abusive), and it was scary.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

SL is what I would call "relationship & truth lite" - you only interact for a few hours at most each day and are able to cover up all those annoying habits you have.

RL - especially when it is a flat or room share - is "warts & all" - there is no covering up those habits you can mask otherwise.

However this is the same of any "relationship". I have tons of friends in RL that I really like but I'd not want them to move in with me - EVER!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, North Pole said:

SL is what I would call "relationship & truth lite" - you only interact for a few hours at most each day and are able to cover up all those annoying habits you have.

RL - especially when it is a flat or room share - is "warts & all" - there is no covering up those habits you can mask otherwise.

However this is the same of any "relationship". I have tons of friends in RL that I really like but I'd not want them to move in with me - EVER!

How is that different from RL? You date someone, they can be wonderful for the few hours of your dates.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

How is that different from RL? You date someone, they can be wonderful for the few hours of your dates.

It's not different at all - that's my point.

The OP was about someone who was wonderful in SL but not so great in RL and I was just pointing out that is the same for anyone you spend a short amount of time with in RL compared to a large amount of time to. But then I am a miserable old git who is set in his ways :)

Edited by North Pole
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Randall Ahren said:

What was so negative about the experience? Did she use the last of the toilet paper and not replace it with a new roll?

The OP told her story before you made your 2 flippant comments. Then she removed it, probably because she was getting so much negative feedback.

4 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Usually the way it works is, you tell your story then we tell ours.

She did tell her story, but then removed it after she was getting flippant, insensitive responses. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, RealTrueMe said:

I had the worst experience with a rl roomate that I met in sl. Share your Story I would like to know if it's worse than mine.

Well, mine is not the same as yours but it's pretty bad.

I had an 8-year long relationship with someone in SL that I thought was a woman, and they turned out to be a man! 

Suffice it to say, it takes some time to get over the feelings of betrayal, and I understand your pain.

Hoping it won't take too long to get over yours.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:
8 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

If you don't care, then why bother responding?  🤷‍♀️

it's a public forum, concerned people can respond, but also who are less sensitive for unrealistic expectations.

Are you a trained professional who knows with certainty that our OP's expectations were "unrealistic".  Not good to psychoanalyze on the forum, Alwin..

I met my rl partner in SL, but we took our time building our relationship here before even considering meeting in rl. We have been together since 2019 in sl and June 2021 in rl. Our relationship is stronger than ever. My sl sister and bestfriend who I met thirteen years ago is also my rl bestfriend. So I've been fortunate in that regard.

Now my rl ex who was in sl with me decided to stalk me for the longest time after our divorce not only in rl, but in sl. RL stalking stopped after he moved. I had to stop using three accounts, start over in sl once again, stop helping to run my sl sister's rental sim and for the longest time avoid that beloved sim altogether. He kept making alt accounts faster than they could be banned, etc. It was creepy. Sis and I meet at my house in sl now. Things have finally calmed down for the past three years or so thankfully.

Edited by Dafadilia Wayfarer
  • Like 7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 206 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.