I have a question. (rant)

TheVeryFirst

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 232 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Randall Ahren said:

I think creators should shift to timed everything, including the actual product, so it's like an Office 365 subscription or premium membership. That new mesh body you just bought or fancy dress? You get a license for use for one year in SL. After that, you have to renew the subscription. Otherwise, the timer deletes the item from your inventory.

Not shy about tossing out the bait here, are ya?  Go ahead and try that sales model out.  Then, in a year, come back here and let us know how your customers feel about you sending the repo man after their rental clothes when they expire.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:
6 minutes ago, Randall Ahren said:

I think creators should shift to timed everything, including the actual product, so it's like an Office 365 subscription or premium membership. That new mesh body you just bought or fancy dress? You get a license for use for one year in SL. After that, you have to renew the subscription. Otherwise, the timer deletes the item from your inventory.

Expand  

Not shy about tossing out the bait here, are ya?  Go ahead and try that sales model out.  Then, in a year, come back here and let us know how your customers feel about you sending the repo man after their rental clothes when they expire.

Maybe was irony? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I just bought from Spirit in the weekend sale.  Love their demo approach.  It's a big cylinder but you can see through it from any direction you look.  Not sure what's involved in that but it works great.

If the cylinder is hollow and textured on the inside surface, that would work..

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Not shy about tossing out the bait here, are ya?  Go ahead and try that sales model out.

Already been tried in SL. It's called breedables and DFS (something about a farm system). This market model has been proven repeatedly. Why sell something with a perpetual license that requires periodic updating? It's a bad deal for creators. Clothing should be an item that wears out over time and requires replacement, i.e., it's a consumable.

For me to want to try that sales model out would require me to reinstall a viewer on my computer and waste more of my time and then LL takes a cut when I sell the item, another cut when I convert L$ to USD and than another cut when I withdraw the USD to Paypal.

Edited by Randall Ahren
  • Haha 1

Other demo approaches could be:

• the old one of writing the word DEMO on the product somewhere
  • Putting out one texture free - this texture could even be the 'Ambient Occlusion' (shadow lines) one that is often used to make the detailed ones - it would show hightlight and show, but not be that create for hanging out. And if you make it a color, it can just be something that's not as everyday - or you're showing that you believe in your quality so much that you expect people will come back for the other colors / fatpack.
  • Putting a rigged sign to the side or above the wearer.

A timer is just stupid.

You're forcing the wearer into a think quick scenario - where they can't see how it looks in combination with some of the other fashion, hairstyles, etc. And as noted - some of us grab the demos, go home, and take our time - then come back if we like things.

Sometimes we need more time to check for clipping, see how it animates, and get some friend opinions.

Rush a choice and the choice is often no.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Randall Ahren said:

On the one hand I think this is a horrible idea but on the other since most items don't get used for over a year it would make inventory management a lot easier.

Already been tried in SL. It's called breedables and DFS (something about a farm system). This market model has been proven repeatedly. Why sell something with a perpetual license that requires periodic updating? It's a bad deal for creators. Clothing should be an item that wears out over time and requires replacement, i.e., it's a consumable.

For me to want to try that sales model out would require me to reinstall a viewer on my computer and waste more of my time and then LL takes a cut when I sell the item, another cut when I convert L$ to USD and than another cut when I withdraw the USD to Paypal.

It works for that type of model because that is the experience that those users are buying.. Trying that with fashion and there will be a culling of creators as well as customers. Mainly because they aren't buying an experience like farming or breeding..

Fashion is more like buying building blocks rather than something that feels like it's alive like a pet that you have to buy pet food for.. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

If the cylinder is hollow and textured on the inside surface, that would work..

I always use a huge 70% transparent cube, where one can walk trough (I don't do clothes BTW), so it is never a real obstacle when inspecting, but it makes the product pretty unusable, and that's what it is supposed to do other wise I would have no sales I guess. Of course my demo's have never mod rights.
Timers are unneeded IMHO.

If I were selling clothes such a cube with the demo text would be placed around the avatar on a place that my product doesn't use. For a shirt, the cube would go around the legs, for a pair of jeans, the cube would go around the chest etc. Of course no mod.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Randall Ahren said:

Why are you trolling this thread?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It works for that type of model because that is the experience that those users are buying.. Trying that with fashion and there will be a culling of creators as well as customers. Mainly because they aren't buying an experience like farming or breeding..

Fashion is more like buying building blocks rather than something that feels like it's alive like a pet that you have to buy pet food for.. 

Your animals and plants in RL also need feeding and watering just like those items in SL so yeah, you want that same experience in SL.  Don't you have to feed and other stuff with the Zombie babies?  Or is that optional?

I have a coat that I finally had to let go in RL that I'd had for over 20 years.  A black canvas barn coat.  I'm still sad about that one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let me bore everyone with another argument against timed demos.

I'm often testing demos with other items, I need to check how your item layers with other things. You know how hard it is to find a skirt that I can wear most mesh panties under? I have some but only because I was able to demo them and check that. Same goes for things to be worn under jackets, things that cover the tummy etc, I check to see if I can use them with other items I already own. This can take a long time, sometimes I'm playing virtual barbie and will want to check boring stuff like this for hours.

A timed demo makes this pain, even if it is copy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Your animals and plants in RL also need feeding and watering just like those items in SL so yeah, you want that same experience in SL.  Don't you have to feed and other stuff with the Zombie babies?  Or is that optional?

I have a coat that I finally had to let go in RL that I'd had for over 20 years.  A black canvas barn coat.  I'm still sad about that one.

I love that you said "Zombie babies."  Are you picking up a bad habit from one of our other frequent forum posters?

• Haha 2

That's not a troll. It's a good idea. Software and digital products last too long. Efforts need to be made to convert them into consumables.

You can always buy new stuff, if you think your stuff lasts too long. Not only software and digital products.
But most people don't have enough money to throw it out of the window.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Randall Ahren said:

If the subscription price was based on 20% per year of the full price, sure. So I'll pay 1000L$ per year for a 5000L$ body or head. Clothing maybe 33% per year of a typical 300L$ item so I pay 100L$ per year for the clothing item. The auto deletion would self clean my inventory of older clothing which needs to be replaced with newer styles anyway.

34 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Ya, We've got all kinds of Carharts at the house that we don't use anymore that we keep washed up for when we get visitors staying on vacation..

Really, clothes either get worn out or they go out of style and even T-shirts last longer than a year.. hehehe

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Randall Ahren said:

1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:

Wearing things off in a digital world??
Just one word: it starts with  ri and it ends on diculous.

I have an old sculpted chair that wears out with use. Eventually it's supposed to breakdown into a pile of wood. It's a cute idea, but I don't use it. Besides the fact that sculpted furniture is outdated SL technology, the land impact and extra scripts are wasted, because they don't improve the form and basic function of a chair.

Clothing that has autohide scripts, more realistic movement, and color or texture change capacity is what people in SL want. Sometimes we might want shoes that can change between flat or tip toe or maybe that could change shape to fit multiple mesh bodies. I don't know anyone who wants clothing that would actually look more worn out over time and would then delete itself.

While you're at it, how would you like to make a clothes washer and dryer to use with clothing that looks soiled when it's worn for a few hours? That might work with the It's Not Mine system at least. 😁

33 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

You can always buy new stuff, if you think your stuff lasts too long.

I don't want to buy new stuff. I want to sell new stuff to people that wouldn't buy except for the license term ending and a renewal fee falling due. If it works for Office 365 and SL premium subscriptions, it should work for SL creators.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Randall Ahren said:

I don't want to buy new stuff. I want to sell new stuff to people that wouldn't buy except for the license term ending and a renewal fee falling due. If it works for Office 365 and SL premium subscriptions, it should work for SL creators.

Oh! You were serious! That's interesting! 

IMG_9060.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Randall Ahren said:

One way to get customers to keep buying more is to give them store credit that accumulates as they buy more stuff. If your products are desirable, they'll like having a excuse to shop more. If your customers don't think your products are desirable, they'll cut their losses and go somewhere else.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 232 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.