I have a question. (rant)

TheVeryFirst

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 214 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If a body were sold in SL with a license that needed to be renewed every year, I sure as heck wouldn't buy it.  Not sure anyone would to be honest.  Clothes?  I might buy it once but would skip any renewal.  There's always brand new stuff to spend pennies on.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

One way to get customers to keep buying more is to give them store credit that accumulates as they buy more stuff. If your products are desirable, they'll like having a excuse to shop more. If your customers don't think your products are desirable, they'll cut their losses and go somewhere else.

Stores are outdated. You don't need one with the marketplace and demos. And if people don't like your goods/services, they won't buy it at all, which is one of the reasons SL has a customer retention problem.

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Randall Ahren said:

Stores are outdated. You don't need one with the marketplace and demos.

I like to go to the stores sometimes, and I see lots of people in them shopping.

Especially these shopping events...wow sometimes I can't even get into them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

If a body were sold in SL with a license that needed to be renewed every year, I sure as heck wouldn't buy it.  Not sure anyone would to be honest.  Clothes?  I might buy it once but would skip any renewal.  There's always brand new stuff to spend pennies on.

Weirdly I might consider it for a body I was maybe not 100% sure about. 1000L for a year maybe? with an option to buy it outright?

Dunno, sounds complicated and probably not worth it but I have been interested in trying something new up to the point of dropping the whatever many thousand a body costs these days.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Weirdly I might consider it for a body I was maybe not 100% sure about. 1000L for a year maybe? with an option to buy it outright?

Dunno, sounds complicated and probably not worth it but I have been interested in trying something new up to the point of dropping the whatever many thousand a body costs these days.

Licensing costs would likely be lower in the short term. Compare the cost for 1 month of premium vs. annual vs. lifetime.

I am not sure if I really got the point of the whole discussion: Merchants have the freedom to run their business as they wish and customers have the freedom to buy their stuff or not. If merchants decide to offer only time-limited demos, its their good right to do and they may have a reason for it. If customers don‘t like time-limited demos, they are not forced to get them and move to another shop which offers other kind of demos. Same with annual-licence products, selling of only fatpacks instead of single products, etc. So why complaining about? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

I like to go to the stores sometimes, and I see lots of people in them shopping.

Especially these shopping events...wow sometimes I can't even get into them.

Yeah. I avoid the Marketplace as much as possible, and even when out of desperation I manage to convince Marketplace search to return countably many results, the products are uniformly outdated garbage, even when I sort newest-first. And the reviews: worth less than nothing.

The sole exception is when I'm trying to buy the exact thing I've seen somewhere exploring in-world, and even then I rarely buy unless there's a working "See in Second Life" link on the product page. Otherwise they could close Marketplace completely and my SL experience would be improved, especially if the still viable products were in proper, presentable in-world stores.

Events are the best way I know to see how new products are using new SL features as they emerge, and what new visions are coming from new creators. (Just lately, though, many creators appear to be holding back any big new releases, probably while they get them ready for PBR.)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CherryChantal said:

I am not sure if I really got the point of the whole discussion: Merchants have the freedom to run their business as they wish and customers have the freedom to buy their stuff or not. If merchants decide to offer only time-limited demos, its their good right to do and they may have a reason for it. If customers don‘t like time-limited demos, they are not forced to get them and move to another shop which offers other kind of demos. Same with annual-licence products, selling of only fatpacks instead of single products, etc. So why complaining about? 

Because they have an opinion on timed demos that they want to share.  Do you have an opinion on how you want your demo to look?  If you do, I'll stop by later and dismiss your opinion and say sellers can do anything g they want.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Me.  🙋‍♀️. I’m a good example possibly of why limited time demos or demo clothing with giant bands of color around the item & the word “demo “ on the bands exists. I might not have been great at it, but for many years staging photography in SL was my thing.  And it could get expensive.  So if I had an idea for a picture & the item(s) I wanted to use were too pricey I would try a demo & most of the time it worked fine.  The big barrels around an item could be tricky but that was part of the fun.  If something was a limited time I would just unpack a new copy.  EZPZ.  

• Like 1

Breedable mesh bodies and clothes could be hilarious though. Your body births a new body with the three arms mutation. Your clothes have evolved and are all glowing purple now. Unfortunately, your hats all died because you forgot to feed them, but you can buy the get well potion to revive them in time for the party.

But seriously, even breedables aren't as harsh as the suggested system. You can permapet them and then never need to buy anything again. Things I know my business would lose is all the customers who see really old items somewhere and find the shop and the customers who collect certain items (they're not going to buy every colour if they have to pay a subscription). Plus the general thing of people avoiding the business on principle.

Going back to the original thing about demos, nobody needs anything in Second Life. It's all for fun. So anything that gets in the way of a customer buying is likely to make them wander off and buy something else.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, CherryChantal said:

They should share it with the merchants that offers time-limited demos by sending them a notecard …

I have an opinion on what I think you should do, but I'm not going to share it.

Many here have said they sent a message to the creator.

Do you have an opinion on how you prefer to have your demos look?

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, CherryChantal said:

They should share it with the merchants that offers time-limited demos by sending them a notecard …

Which is what I said in my first post.  Discussions are an exchange of ideas or debate.  Kind of the whole point of forums actually.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I have an opinion on what I think you should do, but I'm not going to share it.

Oh, wow. Is this the way you think a discussion should take place? insulting others in a „legal“ way by not speaking out clear?

13 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Which is what I said in my first post.  Discussions are an exchange of ideas or debate.  Kind of the whole point of forums actually.

I agree with you, Rowan. The Forum is a place for discussions. But I think some discussions would end without any results, if they are only based on „what i like and not like“ topics. I am not sure, if the forum is made for thousand topics like „I wish to have a mesh body from merchant X, but it costs 6000 Linden and I guess its unfair to sell it for such an high price“ or „why some merchants sell their stuff only on mp, they should have SL stores!“ …. I may be wrong, but thats what I guessed.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, CherryChantal said:

Yes, but the point of this discussion is why we do or do not like timed demo's. Frankly no discussion thread on SL forums has a point. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CherryChantal said:

Oh, wow. Is this the way you think a discussion should take place? insulting others in a „legal“ way by not speaking out clear?

I agree with you, Rowan. The Forum is a place for discussions. But I think some discussions would end without any results, if they are only based on „what i like and not like“ topics. I am not sure, if the forum is made for thousand topics like „I wish to have a mesh body from merchant X, but it costs 6000 Linden and I guess its unfair to sell it for such an high price“ or „why some merchants sell their stuff only on mp, they should have SL stores!“ …. I may be wrong, but thats what I guessed.

Since the only thing allowed to be discussed on this forum must be tied into SL, that doesn't leave a very wide variety of subjects.   

The OP asked the question...what kind of rating should she give the timed demo.  Questions require answers and discussion.  Personally, I'd skip the rating on a demo from the MP and send that notecard instead.

What do you prefer in a demo?  Timed?  Demo over your head?  Demo plastered over the entire thing?

The one other thing I do hate is demo all a skin or those lines over makeup.  I want to see.the whole look.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Sam Bellisserian said:

Yes, but the point of this discussion is why we do or do not like timed demo's. Frankly no discussion thread on SL forums has a point. 

Actually, discussion threads may have any or more of the following points:

1. Complaint/rant, e.g., men are all sex-fiends and ruin SL.

2. How-to, e.g., how do exchange real money for L$ without getting massively screwed;

3. Entertainment, e.g. posting cat or dog photos;

4. Relief from loneliness because SL is so empty with many AFK avatars, e.g. posting photos of your avatar or SL home decorations because otherwise no one would ever notice.

Edited by Randall Ahren
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The OP asked the question...what kind of rating should she give the timed demo.  Questions require answers and discussion.  Personally, I'd skip the rating on a demo from the MP and send that notecard instead.

What do you prefer in a demo?  Timed?  Demo over your head?  Demo plastered over the entire thing?

The one other thing I do hate is demo all a skin or those lines over makeup.  I want to see.the whole look.

As a customer I really don‘t like timed-demos but I would never ever write a bad review on mp cause I don‘t know what have led the  merchant to the decision of using timed-demos. I am running an store on mp by myself and provided most of my newer products with demo boxes over the head. Since I prefer as a customer demos with boxes, I decided to use exactly this method for my offered product demos … So this is my decision and my own risk as a merchant, if 60% don‘t like this way i offer demos. But I guess its very unfair to write a bad review on mp for the (free!) demo product only based on „I dont like demo boxes!“.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Because they have an opinion on timed demos that they want to share.  Do you have an opinion on how you want your demo to look?  If you do, I'll stop by later and dismiss your opinion and say sellers can do anything g they want.

What happened to your zen-like equanimity? You lose it over timed-demos?

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Most likely we just don't understand fully why they need to do this. Need to walk a mile in their shoes.

we can't walk a mile in their shoes, luna, because the shoes disappear before we can get out the door

Edited by Belephannt
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Yeah. I avoid the Marketplace as much as possible, and even when out of desperation I manage to convince Marketplace search to return countably many results, the products are uniformly outdated garbage, even when I sort newest-first. And the reviews: worth less than nothing.

Maybe LL should ban the Marketplace, so the Lab can back to making money from tier. Alternatively, LL could raise the Marketplace commission to 99%. That would incentivize more creators to have in-world stores.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 214 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.