Premium Gifts and monthly/quarterly subscriptions

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 269 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In my opinion the perk "premium gifts" should be removed from the perks of monthly and quarterly memberships subscriptions .. why some will ask.. well... because of this:
the current available "gift" is from winter 2022 ... and a majority who tries the premiums will néver be able to get a gift .. that's disapointing.

Linden Lab ... make this perk more interesting, and worth something.
Now it's a empty advertisement to subscribe without delivery.

Premiums are sold with that perk. Give it. [please]

Edited by Alwin Alcott
added "please"
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 7

18 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

have never paid much attention to premium gifts because they were not worth paying attention to.

perhaps tie this to my initial point that they'r not available as it could be expected  in the list of perks.. " exclusive " is more than just availble for premiums, it should also say something about the quality and usabillity

1 hour ago, Istelathis said:

Especially with the new avatars, perhaps some skins, new attire, animations and so on.  

*hint hint nudge nudge*

/me elbows moles and lindens

there might be the same problem as with Linden Homes .. it's for starters,  where does  provider development stop and inworld items take over.

LL produces their stuff with way to heavy LI for most people with smaller than 30 000 LI  parcels.
On SL20B they gave out a free flag........ it looked very nice, but 30+ LI  👋
Who has 30 LI left on a nicely decorated Belli plot to put up a flag like that?

I never bothered much about LL premium gifts, but that flag is definitely my last attempt to get one of their gifts until they change their building policy.
Not only size matters, LI does even matter more.

ADDED: I just went inworld to check. The flag was not 30+ LI but 20+.  But still 23 LI for a flag. I think most merchants could produce it for somewhere around 2 to 4 LI max.

LY0oXpy.jpg

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 8

29 minutes ago, Chaser Zaks said:

I'd be fine if they recycled older gifts every month if they didn't have anything new. People could get stuff they missed that way. 

Aside the self timbering house there are not many I regret to have missed out on. It would not even have to be new exciting content, rejected LDPW submissions would be fine, you know, like plants they ended up deciding not to use and similar stuff.

• Like 1

I seem to recall a couple of cars that looked really nice when Bellisseria first came out, I have since looked for them and can't find them anywhere.  I did not know that the gifts were temporary.  Now I am curious what the treehouse looked like, as well as sailboat.  

I wonder at times, if Second Life intentionally makes their objects prim heavy, just so that they are not directly competing with content creators.  I don't think it is lack of skill on their part, what I see of their creations are usually really gorgeous.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I seem to recall a couple of cars that looked really nice when Bellisseria first came out, I have since looked for them and can't find them anywhere.  I did not know that the gifts were temporary.  Now I am curious what the treehouse looked like, as well as sailboat.  

I wonder at times, if Second Life intentionally makes their objects prim heavy, just so that they are not directly competing with content creators.  I don't think it is lack of skill on their part, what I see of their creations are usually really gorgeous.

It is certainly no lack of skill. They make nice things indeed. But they don't consider enough that most people don't have almost unlimited LI allowance at their hands like they have on their testing sims. The heavy LI count makes it unusable in daily SL life for many of us.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

It is certainly no lack of skill. They make nice things indeed. But they don't consider enough that most people don't have almost unlimited LI allowance at their hands like they have on their testing sims. The heavy LI count makes it unusable in daily SL life for many of us.

It's not just looks. Too high LI often stems from too weak LOD modelling. I remember being told one Premium gift had no LOD modelling at all.

• Like 1

I have told people for years, LL is a platform provider period. It is not their job to develop per se. That was one reason I was drawn here, I had a very basic setup to get learn the trappings on my own besides reading countless numbers of tutorials, doing inworld experiments, collection of data, to best see what I could create to make my own little corner in SL.

Things that LL provides might be primmy or or impractical for long use, also the gifts are to encourage people to move on from those items(they put a good amount of stuff in there), just like the Library folder everyone  has, and to go out and build your own or to commission the work from another resident.

Don't like that sailboat? go make your own, we have open source water vehicle scripts. Don't like the Tree House? again create your own that is lower Li or whatever your needs might be, but it's all up to you. I'm not premium anymore but in my case i'm content to have a decent sized controlled sandbox.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I had no idea about that flag or any premium gift, I haven't been a premium member for a while now.

That has been the story of every time I decide to own land in SL though, never enough prims. I get angry at it, go homeless for months or years and then apparently forget again and buy/rent land thagt leaves me disappointed since I can't decorate it without it being an annoying game of working around the low LI limits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I forgot about those.. I think I only ever grabbed like two or three things ever since they came out with the premium gifts.. I can't remember if they were time based or just random times when they came out..

Myself, I never really paid much attention to all the perks.. Just the ones that fit me, like the sand boxes which come in handy if I want to rez something really big or throw a bunch of stuff on the ground when sorting inventory..

I like having the linden home in Beliss for when I want to just go boating..

If they drop them gifts at random times, then they might as well keep it on the list.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chaser Zaks said:

I'd be fine if they recycled older gifts every month if they didn't have anything new. People could get stuff they missed that way. 

Maybe but remember that the only reason the premium gifts have any value at all is that they are so hard to get. It's all rubbish, as others have already pointed out, but their rarity makes them collectible to many SL'ers.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Istelathis said:

No, it's like the Belli "little boxes made of ticky-tacky".

They make a house with 300+ LI for use on a 1024 parcel (LI allowance 351) because they don't have to rez it on a 1024, they can rez it on the 60 % of the region that isn't parceled, leaving the whole 351 LI available for home n garden stuff.

Meanwhile REAL house vendors have to take into account that a 1024 only has 351 LI, and keep the house slim, so there's enough LI left to actually furnish the damn thing. So they make houses that are 100 LI or so for 1024 parcels.

It's not a difference in skill, or 'consideration", it's just

"Those pesky LI restrictions don't apply to us, hahahahahahahaha! Screw doing it properly! Prim count Overload PAAAARTAY!"

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

There are gifts? Honestly, had no clue. Which means it's either me, or bad UX.

No. It's not "Bad user interface design" it's simply that the "gifts" don't happen often, and are only mentioned in a few places on the web pages, that most people don't look at.

Claiming it's Bad UX is like saying that "most people not knowing how to reload a belt feed machine gun proves the design is wrong", it isn't it's just that most people never need to reload belt feed machine guns, so they never need to know how, and just don't care.

I've never wanted their shabby badly over-primmed gifts, so I've never bothered to find out where you go to collect one, and I just don't care. That doesn't prove a damn thing about the "UX"

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

Maybe but remember that the only reason the premium gifts have any value at all is that they are so hard to get. It's all rubbish, as others have already pointed out, but their rarity makes them collectible to many SL'ers.

I have some very rare Sid Nagy Wooden Cubes available. 
c/m/t. Only one LI. Limited edition. 
Free gift for a very short time only.
Anyone?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Yeah those premiums gifts should be dropped. It’s like what? Once a year at most now. I’m still also waiting for the mentioned more animesh attachments for PP+ but somehow this was fast dropped without a word and was never seen again 😞 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 269 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.