deserted Gorean sims and combat in my time zone

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 335 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The lab makes its money from regions rented, not greater concurrency. Concurrency only results in greater expense in bandwidth and CPU cycles.

I was thinking the same thing, for example, Twitter probably has more users than SL and Roblox combined at any given moment, yet is bleeding itself dry as far as I understand it.  I suspect that SL probably at this time, is generating more profit than even twitter is.  I wonder how much profit Roblox is making, in comparison to SL.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I wonder how much profit Roblox is making, in comparison to SL.

Roblox are publicly traded (NYSE:RBLX). You can just look that information up .. and that kind of tells you everything you need to know. Roblox is an absolute juggernaut, we're not even at the same table.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Roblox is an absolute juggernaut, we're not even at the same table.

I had to look up Juggernaut, since the first comic about him started in 1965, and I sold my comic book collection in 1955.

Juggernaut - a massive inexorable force, campaign, movement, or object that crushes whatever is in its path.

(Yeah I saw it's from a Hindi god and stuff, but pfft.)

Hindi Jagannāth, literally, lord of the world, title of Vishnu

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The lab makes its money from regions rented, not greater concurrency. Concurrency only results in greater expense in bandwidth and CPU cycles.

If the number of people using SL grows, land demand will grow too.
A percentage of the people that use the platform invests in land, will get one of the premium plans or both.

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Roblox are publicly traded (NYSE:RBLX). You can just look that information up .. and that kind of tells you everything you need to know. Roblox is an absolute juggernaut, we're not even at the same table.

I just looked that information up: That's not a table we really want to be at...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1190814/consolidated-loss-roblox-corporation-global/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

I just looked that information up: That's not a table we really want to be at...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1190814/consolidated-loss-roblox-corporation-global/

Being huge is one thing, but being profitable another.
Burning other peoples money is easy.
Give it to me, I'll show you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

That is basically impossible, people won't leave here where they have loads of stuff, for there where they have nothing and it will be 5/10/15/20 years before all the stuff they have here exists there.

Exactly, that is why Sansar failed.

I think you're right. But as someone who uses Sansar regularly, it sure is pretty. And it works so well. 

image.thumb.png.85a9734b6102259f2b3ce97cbaf293f9.png

Edited by Ingrid Ingersoll
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I think you're right. But as someone who uses Sansar regulalrly, it sure is pretty. And it works so well. 

image.thumb.png.85a9734b6102259f2b3ce97cbaf293f9.png

Ohhh...I was going to ask who made this one and I looked down at the tiny print, and it's YOU.  Good job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Access to such funding is a rare privilege, unlikely to be something anyone invested in this platform as a user will ever be able to obtain.

Any attempt to rejuvenate this place must start by answering one simple premise; Given the range of available options for creating and publishing suitable content, why should anyone (hobbyist or professional or studio) chose to do it here and what prevents them from doing so already.

Well now. As a counterpoint I came to SL to - sculpt. I got sidetracked in oh so many ways. I learned to make 3d stuff which I sell a bit of. Because of SL. I got back my love of coding so I flog a few android games. Because of SL. I have a teeny radio thingy when I was so scared to talk. Because of SL. Oh yes I am back to kinetic sculpting. Took me a long winding route but there you go.
It goes on and no I am not even going in to personal stuff.

You always forget to address why we are still here.

So go back to your Reddit (insert 'Reddit? is that thing still around' emoji)
Snipe all you want. This is my canvas. Before SL I had a pen and a notebook. I still have. And so much more.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

As a counterpoint I came to SL to - sculpt. I got sidetracked in oh so many ways. I learned to make 3d stuff which I sell a bit of. Because of SL.

Can you provide the name of your store?  I find a lot of uses still, for sculpts.

11 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Creating a "Like SL but better and more modern" from scratch would cost an arm and a leg

Nobody is suggesting that. My point, not clearly expressed, is that Linden Lab may have difficulty retaining "top talent".

But the real issue (and this relates to the OP) is that Second Life now finds itself centered on a demographic that is small, old and diminishing. Whatever it is that we do in Second Life does not appeal to the masses (see Wagner James Au new book for details).

Anecdotally, I am part of a large family and have a few friends, all of whom know about diamond. Nobody else is in Second Life or any other virtual world (that they will admit to) with one exception... a preteen niece who was very happy to splain Roblox to me.

This is not a hardware issue. I have been running SL just fine on a laptop since 2009.

34 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

Whatever it is that we do in Second Life does not appeal to the masses (see Wagner James Au new book for details).

And the follow on thought to that is: "what we do" is fundamental to SL the way it is.  I don't think LL can make it appeal to the masses and keep it enough of what makes existing customers happy.  Just my personal opinion.  The answer is for LL to diversify, keep SL for the dwindling audience until it no longer makes sense and have other products that appeal to a broader base.  Maybe they should make some games or more gamified environments.

Perhaps this is why they did Sansar.  We think it failed but maybe creating it and selling it was always the goal?

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

(see Spamlet Doh's crappy attempt to cash in on the 20th anniversary of an ex employer he hates book for details).

Fixed that for you.

Spamlet Doh, decided many many years ago to pursue a career as a Professional Marketing Liar.

He worked for a few years for some company based out of San-Fran, then... He didn't work for them any more, and decided to write a crappy book denigrating the ex employer and their product in the hopes of making some money out of hating on them.

He then spent more than a decade pretending to be relevant, while spamming irrelevant anti-ex-employer bile on his blog site.

Then he noticed that despite his best efforts, the ex-employer and their product not only still existed but were about to celebrate a 20th Anniversary, so time to trot out the same bile, in a new book, in the hopes of cashing in on the event, and he added that "metacrap-does-not-and-will-not-exist-i-verse" buzzword to the title, in the hopes of cashing in on that craze too, before it dies under the onslaught of the current Artificial Idiocy cargo cult.

Meaningless book by a meaningless person, I certainly wouldn't give him money for the dubious joy of reading a condensed version of over a decades worth of blog spam bile.

The fact that he praises a bunch of systems that have obviously failed, mainly for NOT being an ex-employer of his, speaks volumes, as does the fact that he's asking for $1 for every year his ex-employer has survived for said book of bile.

1 hour ago, diamond Marchant said:

who was very happy to splain Roblox to me.

System frequently held up as a "successful metacrap-does-not-and-will-not-exist-i-verse" despite the fact that not only does it not make a profit, it has NEVER made a profit, and typically LOSES twice as much per year, as "Failed SL's" entire yearly turnover.

Forget SuxBlox, it's irrelevant, except as a massive example of how not to do it.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Yes.

19 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

That's how this works and why these forums are dominated by a few regulars and so deeply out of touch with the subject matter.

19 hours ago, Hunny Bunny said:

So, you're suggesting that instead of her expressing her opinions and advocating for change, should she should just leave SL altogether?

I always get laughed at when I say there are people on this forum that would rather see SL empty and inevitably shut down than improved. And yet here we are. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Paul Hexem said:

I always get laughed at when I say there are people on this forum that would rather see SL empty and inevitably shut down than improved. And yet here we are. 

That might be due to the fact that your suggestions for "improving" SL are always terrible ideas that would cause more harm than good, some of which, indeed, would cause the platform to shut down in months if not weeks or days if ever implemented.

Deliberately getting rid of paying customers who are part of the platforms actual target audience, in the search for some imaginary "untapped new market of people who in fact have no interest in SL at all and never will" by trying to turn it into a hardware snob elitist first person shooter, deserve the sarcastic mocking laughter they get.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

If the number of people using SL grows, land demand will grow too.
A percentage of the people that use the platform invests in land, will get one of the premium plans or both.

The question is whether the percentage of new people who come and rent land covers the expense of those who don't. Considering the cost of the basic Premium and how much one gets back in the form of a weekly stipend, the amount remaining barely cover the expense of the resident's time and load inworld. 

29 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Not so. I do think that sometimes it's better to get rid of toxic people because it gets tiring to listen to it day after day after day. 

This thread is about GOR. I couldn't care less if everyone into GOR left the platform as I wouldn't be socializing with them anyway.  

Of course the thread slowly was manipulated into discussing others things as many of the threads end up.

32 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

would cause the platform to shut down in months if not weeks or days if ever implemented

I don't have a lot of faith in LL, but even I don't think they're that inept. You win the negativity award on that one.

3 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I couldn't care less if everyone into GOR left the platform as I wouldn't be socializing with them anyway.  

They don't play Gor all the time. They do it for awhile, and then go somewhere and do other things, like dancing at Franks, where you might socialize with them. But if they're completely gone from SL, no you won't be socializing with them at all.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Not so. I do think that sometimes it's better to get rid of toxic people because it gets tiring to listen to it day after day after day. 

This thread is about GOR. I couldn't care less if everyone into GOR left the platform as I wouldn't be socializing with them anyway.  

Of course the thread slowly was manipulated into discussing others things as many of the threads end up.

But would you support for example the SL front page displaying and promoting a Gorean RP in the interest of bumping up the new user count and retention?

Just now, Randall Ahren said:

They don't play Gor all the time. They do it for awhile, and then go somewhere and do other things, like dancing at Franks, where you might socialize with them. But if they're completely gone from SL, no you won't be socializing with them at all.

Exactly.  I wouldn't be socializing with them even if they stayed.

• Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 335 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.