You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Every time I play second life and this problem starts to appear recently, Nvidia driver crashes says OpenGL not found "From event viewer" and it only happens on SL

The things I've tried:

- I've clean uninstalled my driver using DDU and installed the latest version from Nvidia website and tried an older version too 

- I did a benchmark from uninge valley and I scored 980 without a single crash or any warning and I tested it many times

- I've reset my windows , it was gone for a while but it returns after

- Updated my windows to latest Version

- Tried viewers other than Firestorm , I've tried Genesis , CatzNip 

- Reinstalled firestorm many many times and tried downloading it on my SSD and my HDD and problem wasn't solved

- Disabled Dynamic Texturing option 

Please help me troubleshoot my issue and thank you

My PC Specs:

- Windows 10 64-bit latest version 22H2

- 8 GB RAM

- Nvidia GT 730

- Using the latest version of Firestorm

Edited by AaronWild1

It looks like Nvidia has discontinued support for the GT 730 graphics card. Please see below for information:

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/...

It looks like GeForce driver 391.35 is the last supported version for the GT 730, so you may need to download and install that. Here's the link:

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.a...

@AaronWild1

The issue may be Firestorm itself, rather than your GPU. Firestorm's current minimum GPU requirement is now the Nvidia GTX 750Ti, which is a superior model to your GT 730.

Source: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_system_requirements

Instead of Firestorm, try using the official SL viewer, or other trusted third party viewers instead.

Third Party viewers: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

@AaronWild1

The issue maybe Firestorm itself, rather than your GPU. Firestorm's current minimum GPU requirement is now the Nvidia GTX 750Ti, which is a superior model to your GT 730.

Source: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_system_requirements

Instead of Firestorm, try using the official SL viewer, or other trusted third party viewers instead.

Third Party viewers: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

This right here mate. I'd try and play with some of the graphic settings. It's weird though because I can run FS on an older rig with a much older AMD card myself with zero issues. And one of my biggest gripes about FS is that they lock out older viewers and force people to upgrade. Which is really my only and primary complaint about that viewer. I've had versions run flawlessly and been forced to upgrade and ended up with a ton of issues over that BS just to have to sort it all out in the past. lol The best alternative to FS IMO is Singularity if you prefer the OG viewer look and style. That's my go to viewer when FS pisses me off. lol👍😎

• Thanks 1

You didn't mention your FS settings OR when the crash occurs.  

Have you tried running FS on the lowest setting?  

While Firestorm is the most popular viewer it is also has a LOT of features making it more difficult to use for some machines.  If FS on low settings still crashes then I concur with the "third party legacy type" viewer advice as the next thing to try.   

ALSO you might check with the FS inworld help group and tell them your error message. They may have seen this before and know what the problem is.  

When I did a search for your error message on Google it came up with this thread. NOTE IT IS OLD so replying THERE isn't a good thing :D. Might be some help.

Test OpenGL rendering using another application, that way you'll know if it's a Firestorm issue.

An obvious little OpenGL application is FurMark (benchmarking software, uses OpenGL to render though) so try that. Does it work properly on the card?

The card is old and end of life but the GL rendering should still be working fine in the driver you are running, Firestorm should just use any GL compatible available hardware so long as drivers are installed properly.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 3:09 PM, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Totally agree with the Singularity viewer recommendation too.

Singularity still works, but it's old. The last update it got was about two years ago IIRC. If you want to try other V1 style viewers that are more current, look at Cool VL Viewer or Genesis.

For an older PC like the OP's I'd go for Genesis as that has settings that work well in low quality graphics.

On 7/4/2023 at 5:45 AM, animats said:

It looks like GeForce driver 391.35 is the last supported version for the GT 730, so you may need to download and install that. Here's the link:

Not at all. The GT* 6/7xx cards are still supported and the current driver version for them is 474.44, published only a couple weeks ago.

If the error is about:

On 7/4/2023 at 1:26 AM, AaronWild1 said:

OpenGL not found

Then this is an issue with a badly installed driver: the card might work with DirectX but fails with OpenGL (try Furmark, as advised by AmeliaJ08).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

the 391.35 driver.

This driver is for GT* 4/5x0 cards (Fermi GPU).

The GT* 6/7x0 cards got a newer GPU (Kepler). Once again, the proper, current driver version for a GT 730 is 474.44.

For installing the proper driver under Windows, I recommend using NVCleanstall, which will automatically find the best driver for your GPU, and also got options to remove privacy-threatening features such as telemetry...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.