Privacy Screens

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My one rant of the day. Why do you have to put up a privacy screen surrounding your land. With 10 different screens all over the area it makes it all look ugly as you know what. Buy a hud to keep people out or do what I do and set you land to your group. Why hide what you have created from others. It just looks horrible. I derender them all in my site but some people dont have that option so why make second life ugly. Create your land and be proud to show it off. Don't hide it. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

It's not for you. It's for me. When I'm standing on my land and I have my privacy screen in place, it looks like the forest keeps continuing in every direction as would make sense, rather than smacking into a cluster of skyscrapers on one side and an empty field on another.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There's zero clean or good looking ways to use privacy screens.

It's always better to put up something more creative to block a bad view. A tree, a barn, a well, a stone wall, a hedge... I even put up solar panels once. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

It's always better to put up something more creative to block a bad view. A tree, a barn, a well, a stone wall, a hedge... I even put up solar panels once. 

Why do some people feel like putting up the equivalent of a piece of printed cardboard is a good solution to a bad view. It just makes it worse.

SL has made me realize that there are people out there with really 0 sense of aesthetic. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BookishMelinoe said:

It's not for you. It's for me.

I have always thought that skyboxes are the best solution when fenced in by annoying neighbors. Otherwise, one just adds to the mess.

I suppose some use privacy screens because they either don't care how it looks or don't even think it matters.

Paul (prior post) offers the solution I usually use.

I fly/sail constantly and observe that privacy screens are not that common, suggesting that most people know how to behave in a community (I hope).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It's not for you. It's for me. When I'm standing on my land and I have my privacy screen in place, it looks like the forest keeps continuing in every direction as would make sense, rather than smacking into a cluster of skyscrapers on one side and an empty field on another.

So, it's not really giving you or anyone privacy, it is providing you a view of something other than what is actually on your neighbor's land.

Is that a fair statement?

• Like 1

I agree they are pretty ugly. I dislike them very hard XD my neighbors have some...but at the same time I fully agree with their right to decorate their land as they please, not as I please. 

I try to get not angered too much in SL about it, in RL I would try talking to my neighbors but we have awesome ones luckily.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So, it's not really giving you or anyone privacy, it is providing you a view of something other than what is actually on your neighbor's land.

Is that a fair statement?

Yep, any actual privacy I get is because I use the setting where people can't see avatars on my land.

• Like 2

Then make the other sides transparent. From your side, you still see the appearance of forests, and from the other side, people see your land as normal.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I may have missed it in the earlier replies, but if I am correct in the needed usage - and if the "Screen" is only needed on one side of the property..

Couldn't the "Screen" be made "transparent from the outside? That way, only neighbors looked at the "Screen" from the "inside" would see it.

To everyone else, looking at the "Screen" from the "outside", it would be transparent and they wouldn't have to look at it.

• Like 3

Just now, Phil Deakins said:

The make the other side transparent. From your side, you still see the appearance of forests, and from the other side, people see your land as normal.

I mean, I guess, if you'd really rather see my 3D trees that are laggier to render than a screen of 2D trees, there's no real reason why not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Phil Deakins said:

The make the other side transparent. From your side, you still see the appearance of forests, and from the other side, people see your land as normal.

I just posted the same thing, "XXX minds think alike"!

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

I may have missed it in the earlier replies, but if I am correct in the needed usage - and if the "Screen" is only needed on one side of the property..

Couldn't the "Screen" be made "transparent from the outside? That way, only neighbors looked at the "Screen" from the "inside" would see it.

To everyone else, looking at the "Screen" from the "outside", it would be transparent and they wouldn't have to look at it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BookishMelinoe said:

Are you on mainland? Getchu a cute plot on a deserted private estate! We've got ocean and lake and mountain views! 

I actually prefer creating an environment way up in the sky these days, since I'm always changing my mind about what I feel like looking at (right now, it's the beach). Saves me from the hassle of moving around all the time, but even at ground level, the default views are pretty decent on some islands.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Are you on mainland? Getchu a cute plot on a deserted private estate! We've got ocean and lake and mountain views! 

I actually prefer creating an environment way up in the sky these days, since I'm always changing my mind about what I feel like looking at (right now, it's the beach). Saves me from the hassle of moving around all the time, but even at ground level, the default views are pretty decent on some islands.

Mirror Box is my favorite for skybox scenes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

Mirror Box is my favorite for skybox scenes.

I like that one a lot, but I didn't feel like spending the money on it at the time. I'm currently using one of the surrounds that came with one of my Onsu skyboxes. I suspect I'll break down and get a mirror box eventually so I don't have to keep fiddling with things and taking skyboxes apart. 😄

• Like 1

I have a one way privacy surround on my sky platform, it's more for my benefit so I can have something a little nicer than bare sky to look. It works for whatever property I use. Often when a skybox includes an environment version it makes the footprint far bigger than my plot so I can't use them 

• Like 4

The only times I've used a 'privacy' screen (really a forest screen simply to continue the look of my landscaping), it's been transparent from the outside.

What we really need, is a way to restrict the viewer to rendering only objects in our own parcel or the parcel we are currently in, other than the terrain itself. That would obviate the need for lowering camera distance (which is useless if you stand nearer the issue), needing privacy screens, seeing other people's privacy screens, visual griefing, seeing all the mainland crap and just make our viewers work much less hard and only need to render what we want to see.

I can dream.

Edited by Rick Nightingale
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Rick Nightingale said:

The only times I've used a 'privacy' screen (really a forest screen simply to continue the look of my landscaping), it's been transparent from the outside.

What we really need, is a way to restrict the viewer to rendering only objects in our own parcel or the parcel we are currently in, other than the terrain itself. That would obviate the need for lowering camera distance (which is useless if you stand nearer the issue), needing privacy screens, seeing other people's privacy screens, visual griefing, seeing all the mainland crap and just make our viewers work much less hard and only need to render what we want to see.

I can dream.

While you're dreaming, could you please dream a little dream of the landowner being able to control the visibility of content outside the parcel? Visitors, too, deserve to see the view the landowner curated, rather than whatever the neighbors imposed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

I agree they are pretty ugly. I dislike them very hard XD my neighbors have some...but at the same time I fully agree with their right to decorate their land as they please, not as I please. 

I try to get not angered too much in SL about it, in RL I would try talking to my neighbors but we have awesome ones luckily.

I dont get angry either. I just derender  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I love Linden water and sky, so I prefer living on ground. Mirror box and other sky surrounds just look fake in my eyes. I know, we are in a fake pixel world already... But it is a fakefake look for me.

If I do not use privacy screens, I notice that the neighbors stop using them too. People come and go on mainland, but in my corner region of water, it is very few privacy walls. Those who stay, do not use privacy walls.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.