Privacy Screens

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 316 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

26 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Do you realize that when you do that, you create ban lines for everyone that is not in your group ?  That is not very pretty to look at either.

You'd think after all these years, they'd think of a better look than the crime scene tape look of the banlines.  Semi  transparent fence posts?  Anything?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

You'd think after all these years, they'd think of a better look than the crime scene tape look of the banlines.  Semi  transparent fence posts?  Anything?

So true, so true.  We should maybe even get to pic what texture we want shown:  Pretty trees, fences, a nice large "Stay off my Lawn" sign......

If the privacy screens are nicely done, they will actually look better than the ban lines.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

1 hour ago, Hilly Souther said:

I dont see ban lines. I have them turned off. 

So, it's ok for you to make something ugly since it doesn't effect you but others shouldn't do the same?  

Wandering around and seeing banlines is just as ugly as seeing privacy screens IMO.

• Like 4

Nobody sees their own banlines. That's one reason only allowing group access is so often a newbie (or pretend newbie) move: "Oh, I didn't realize that's where banlines come from! I never see them!" (I think viewers now add a little warning about creating banlines when setting group access on a parcel; they didn't used to do that so the newbie excuse was more compelling back then.)

Banlines and privacy screens are both hideous but in different ways. Banlines can be turned off (not practical for explorers, but momentarily okay for a one-off photo shoot) which is much quicker than derendering a forest of privacy screens, and banlines only appear up-close, so they're mostly ugly only when you're actually looking at the parcel they surround (which is usually nothing much to look at anyway). On the other hand, even compared to 2D "scenery by the yard", banlines are really weird looking, lending a quaint 1990's Geocities vibe. It's a look.

image.gif.4ff34ab4f50dcd835bd8514119b1ca52.gif

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Always Incognito said:

A skybox is definitely to prefer in this case. Why live on ground level just to box yourself in behind screens? Sadly the screens still look ugly if transparent on one side. Please place the skybox a bit higher than this though ❤️ 😆IMG_8051.png.d512f807f37512a5f1187092a33f32e8.png

And this type of thing (eyesores ruining nearby nice builds) is why a lot of people don't like mainland and prefer Bellisseria or private regions. There are no rules to prevent this from happening and some people either are unaware of how their "build" effects neighbors or just dont care.

• Like 1

On a related note, god people put out the ugliest s**t on their land. LOL. I realize how intolerant that sounds but I've been here for 19 years. I'm like an old person. I can complain about other people at this point.

A friend of mine and I wander around the grid and are just amazed sometimes and stuff that has been purchased an carefully placed. And it literally looks like a$$. It's like...how can you NOT see that it looks like a$$? Am I missing something? They literally don't see it? I'm honestly confused because to me, if you put something that's well made next to something that isn't, I'm going to prefer the well-made one. 

There's SO much beautiful content in sl offered every weekend at the sales for pennies. I'm not sure why people continue to cherish crappy looking garbage. 

end rant. sorry. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Maybe instead of a privacy screen, go into your region settings and make it so people can't see you in the parcel.  We are given those privacy tools for a reason. 

I honestly didn't know about this option until recently. So I'm going to assume some others don't either, but it's a good one!

11 hours ago, Hilly Souther said:

I dont see ban lines. I have them turned off. 

Well, if you aren't worried about other folks having ugly views due to your ban lines, why should I worry about giving you an ugly view using privacy screens?

Politeness and respect for others is a 2-way street.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

Privacy screens on the ground are super ugly. Just put a skybox up at 3,000m. Some friends rent a quarter of an island and all four corners have beach theme on the ground and privacy screens with similar beach images. Craziest thing. They all also use sim surround beach. The big plywood images need to go for sure.

• Thanks 1

Oh privacy screens! Tell me about that. I have lived in Mainland for some years now and am under no illusion that if I want to keep my land beautiful in terms of atmosphere it can be done without privacy screens.

I can make an endless list of what people all put up in the neighbourhood:

• towering buildings,
  • Miles high ugly walls
  • Work in progress fences, with sharp colours yellow-black
  • low-hanging buildings that no privacy screen can match etc.

I have now made a public park in mainland, but I took the whole park to the sky. Why? That was after a neighbour suddenly put up a mile-high wall next to it. When I asked if this wall was temporary and when it would be gone, she replied: 'This is the land divider, honey.' LOL

Well, it's best to laugh about it. Dutch estate is still on the ground in Mainland, but I sometimes dare not even go there myself. Maybe I'm too precise about it; maybe you shouldn't be precise in Mainland. But if you ask why people use privacy screens (and I can indeed deploy them in a nice way, just contact me if you want to know how), here's the answer.

Attached is the neighbour's wall before the park went up and my land Dutch estate versus neighbours' buildings.

The third picture is my land WITH privacy screens (who are always invisible at the heighbours side. Could you tell what are the privacy screens ? 😉

Snapshot_2081208243_001.png.5131676b4b1542272229415209f28b42.png

A neighbour's 'work in progress.' If this is temporarily, okay. People like to build in the sky to keep the overview. I understand. But this took half a year with all these houses hanging in the air.

Snapshot_2080905_004.png.96844e720c0acfe4cd802cdfb9a10662.png

Under construction

Snapshot_2081208432_004.png.5c02f9194530189b0f44d972561cb8a4.png

'This is the land divider, honey.'

52714805622_fb176ffb30_c.jpg.b552b54f2b55ed0e019c0bb642b56e25.jpg

Dutch estate with privacy screens

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

People can be so selfish with their ugly privacy screens, not caring how it affects other residents' views around them. If you want a box, go to a sky box. You're not enjoying the surrounding views, so why lag yourself?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was revisiting my land Dutch estate today. And yes, a new view.

It's not that a neighbour sets up buildings that are a bit high, they are HUGE.

I wonder if it's really necessary to build that high so the neighbours view is spoiled? (and yes, I contacted the neighbour several times). I guess it's fair to say that the buildings of the neighbour are not really complimenting the atmosphere. So if you ask the question: 'Why use privacy screens? This is the answer. Living in some parts of Mainland with high building, walls etc next to you, forces you to do that. Although I guess there is no privacy screen that can compete with this kind of high buildings.

* Oh, and my privacy screens (always invisible at the neighbours side) are the trees at the background. Before the privacy screen trees I place three dimensional trees, also woven into the privacy screen a bit, so it looks like both are part of a forest background. *

Anyway, this forum question inspirated me to this rant, sorry for that! But don't worry I keep on laughing. (Second) Life is to good to stay grumpy. I am a person that goes for solutions. If this is going on another month I also take Dutch estate up in the air, just like the park.

Snapshot_20812085333_003.png

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kylie Jaxxon said:

Where do you get your privacy screens from?

For spring/summer I have these:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Summer-Trees-Privacy-Screen-2-Land-Divider/2035966

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/DQ-PRIVACY-SCREENS-FOREST-HEDGE-1-COPYMODTILEABLE/6435622

I combine them (to avoid having the same picture of trees around your land) and I colour them a little to make them match with the enchanted forest trees from Skye. What I also do is combine one and three dimensional trees and have them as to say, woven into each other, so it looks as if they are all part of the same forest (and also in colour).

To get a nice depth in your land I stick to the following: one-dimensional at the border (like the trees on the privacy screens), then come the simple three-dimensional trees (like Skye's enchanted trees) and more towards the foreground I put more complex-dimensional trees and objects.

a12f0f6777db47feb56ed77ebe1ea8cc.png

1939d32e2cf84811b43a20b80d14fd56.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, archangel969 said:

For spring/summer I have these:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Summer-Trees-Privacy-Screen-2-Land-Divider/2035966

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/DQ-PRIVACY-SCREENS-FOREST-HEDGE-1-COPYMODTILEABLE/6435622

I combine them (to avoid having the same picture of trees around your land) and I colour them a little to make them match with the enchanted forest trees from Skye. What I also do is combine one and three dimensional trees and have them as to say, woven into each other, so it looks as if they are all part of the same forest (and also in colour).

To get a nice depth in your land I stick to the following: one-dimensional at the border (like the trees on the privacy screens), then come the simple three-dimensional trees (like Skye's enchanted trees) and more towards the foreground I put more complex-dimensional trees and objects.

As with many things, it's not only the product, it's also what you do with it and how you combine things, that's the whole thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, archangel969 said:

1939d32e2cf84811b43a20b80d14fd56.png

i like how you have modeled this. As you pointing out, screens can be used effectively

just to up-level this way of modelling, so that we can build on what we see here, in a way in which the neighbours can see our screens in a positive light rather than a negative light

if we step the flat screen in from the border by about 2 to 4 metres and place 3-dimensional trees between our screen and our border then our neighbour can see what we see and will be more inclined to  build out their parcel in a complimentary way

and when we do this then our screens need not be transparent on our neighbour's side

one-sided transparent can cause more ugly than non-transparent as when the neighbour can see thru our one-side transparent then they see the L-shape screen corner on the far side of our parcel. Which from their pov looks ugly, so more times than not they will stick up their own screen to screen out our far side screens, when we thought we were being neighbourly by making the near screen transparent

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 316 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.