Does it say something about me if I feel more "vulnerable" as a woman avi?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Shout that word out, girl!   Reclaim it!!!!!!!!!   lolol

It is somewhat overused, not infrequently misused, and can . . . t****** . . . some people.

you are too funny

• Like 2

Sad fact is the world is never going to be be perfect inside everyone's head is a reptile brain piled on with extra layers and Milions of years of instinct and thousands of years of years early stone aged culture inter tribal warfare and the like and Post Neolithic revolution culture as well with everything from Wars between city states up to Disease vectors and transmission. Everything in our brain screams "Don't trust that different people!" and you can pretend to be over it all you want it still rests in the back of your head and comes out when you label whatever you decide what the "other" is

Put more than two people in a room together and they will dream up reasons to kill each other  were animals plain and simple. 

d11viw2-1c36fd91-6b62-4883-a166-382005288554.gif

Edited by Linnea Evergarden

6 minutes ago, Linnea Evergarden said:

Sad fact is the world is never going to be be perfect inside everyone's head is a reptile brain piled on with extra layers and Milions of years of instinct and thousands of years of years early stone aged culture inter tribal warfare and the like and Post Neolithic revolution culture as well with everything from Wars between city states up to Disease vectors and transmission. Everything in our brain screams "Don't trust that different people!" and you can pretend to be over it all you want it still rests in the back of your head and comes out when you label whatever you decide what the "other" is

Put more than two people in a room together and they will dream up reasons to kill each other  were animals plain and simple. 

You seem to be saying that people don't have the ability to change?

3 minutes ago, Linnea Evergarden said:
21 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

You seem to be saying that people don't have the ability to change?

no we don't we can pretend but its all a show 

I can see that I have changed over the course of my lifetime, so why would that not be possible for others to do so?

1 hour ago, Linnea Evergarden said:

You might try researching Aboriginal peoples (many still exist today that have not been so influenced by the Western mind of dog-eat-dog competitiveness).  They seek to exist in harmony with the world rather than conquer it.

This has given me much hope for humankind as their existence (past or present) is proof that our minds were not totally formed by evolution and unable to change.  It's not totally 'evolution' that made us (in the Western World) the way we are....it was socialization.  And socialization (basically a kind of  subconscious brainwashing received from those around us, often not deliberately) has the potential of being undone through human awareness and choosing what we believe is true.

Bringing this back to our OP's dilemma, if he can realize how he's been socialized to react in certain ways he has the opportunity to deny that brainwashing/socialization....and behave in new, more beneficial, ways.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

And yet, those who complain, never speak about the thousands of records that trans people aren’t breaking, or even coming close. Only ever the one here and one there.

Take Leah Thomas, won a single race, out of many, no where near the top time and is no where near the top level of competitive female swimming. Her time for that race has now been beaten more than once, by a cis female. And since then has yet to do anything of significant value.

Yet, we don’t need anything about that and instead all we get is “derp the end is near a trans woman won a race derp derp”.

And then cretins buy into it, running to the university of Google and YouTube, taking their worldly advice from such word salad extraordinaires as Jordan Peterson 😅😴

It was intended as a somewhat tongue-in-cheek quip as I don't follow any sport and just have seen some cis women complaining about it in passing. Having said that and tried to make sense of Leah Thomas's events in the past year or two, it struck me that she does much better as a woman than as a man in comparison to other competitors. That is in addition to this site that shows the contrast between high school males and Olympic Cis gendered women. Doesn't strike me as overly fair to have them competing against one another but ymmv.

https://boysvswomen.com/#/

Drugs and alcohol can change us, entire pharmaceutical companies make billions producing mood altering chemicals, which have an impact on our personality.  Hormones have an impact on us, especially adrenaline.  Just changing one's environment can change us as well, what we surround ourselves with has a strong impact on our personalities, sometimes it is positive, sometimes negative.  The people around us change us, various events in our lives can change our behavior.

The brain is very receptive to change  People who have had NDE are often the ones who report being completely different after experiencing one, they often become far more open, gentle toward others, it is pretty interesting stuffs to read about people who were once incredibly egotistical and self centered having their entire lives turned around where they become far more altruistic.

Although I don't use mind altering drugs, I have read drugs being used by shaman to change people's personalities, a lot of people get into micro dosing and report having changed.  Traumatic brain injury also changes people, such as the reason why lobotomies were at one time so prevalent, as well as electroshock therapy.

My own personality has shifted through the years, constantly shifting to and from, perhaps that is a constant with me though.  Beyond my personality and behavior, one thing I know has remained consistent is a simple awareness of my own existence which has remained the same as far back as I can recall. 

I have seen old school mates change,  and people who who I once considered friends change just by spending too much time on social media, where they have been repeatedly fed mind altering feeds, they started to change into rather cruel people who were spiteful and full of hate.  It is a pretty sad thing to witness, what was once a loving person turn to hate.

Plus the fact that something like every 7 years, nearly every single cell in our body has been replaced, we quite literally are almost entirely different people every seven years (I think it was seven years)  at least from a physical standpoint.  The funny thing is, we basically are all seven years old, what a mind trip that is.

That brings up all sorts of neat philosophical considerations, such as would a transporter from star trek kill us, due to being disintegrated on one end and rebuilt on another.  Would an exact duplicate of us be the same as us, or different (if the neural passageways were duplicated as well)   Would you die, if your duplicate lived but the original died?

The ship of Theseus comes to mind as well.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Istelathis said:

lthough I don't use mind altering drugs, I have read drugs being used by shaman to change people's personalities, a lot of people get into micro dosing and report having changed.  Traumatic brain injury also changes people, such as the reason why lobotomies were at one time so prevalent, as well as electroshock therapy.

My own personality has shifted through the years, constantly shifting to and from, perhaps that is a constant with me though.  Beyond my personality and behavior, one thing I know has remained consistent is a simple awareness of my own existence which has remained the same as far back as I can recall. 

I have seen old school mates change,  and people who who I once considered friends change just by spending too much time on social media, where they have been repeatedly fed mind altering feeds, they started to change into rather cruel people who were spiteful and full of hate.  It is a pretty sad thing to witness, what was once a loving person turn to hate

or there are some poor souls, who have never touched drugs or alcohol, who end up schizophrenic.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, belindacarson said:

or there are some poor souls, who have never touched drugs or alcohol, who end up schizophrenic.

Yep, the poor souls often do not even realize that they are caught in a delusion and are stuck into believing their experiences are the basis of reality.  

• Like 1

I thought that it was that over every seven years we are different than the prior seven years..

Meaning that, during the next seven years things in our bodies will be constantly changing..

We don't completely change though.. I still have the same scars from when I was little.. hehehe

:P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm not sure it's universally true: I've never seen a poll on attitudes towards the term, and can only speak in that regard to my own experience and milieu

Speaking of the T word, 2022 Pew research:

Americans' Complex Views on Gender Identity and Transgender Issues | Pew Research Center

6 in 10 people terfs.

A rising share say a person’s gender is determined by their sex at birth

Six-in-ten U.S. adults say that whether a person is a man or a woman is determined by their sex assigned at birth. This is up from 56% one year ago and 54% in 2017

Edited by Ingrid Ingersoll

Just now, Ceka Cianci said:

I thought that it was that over every seven years we are different than the prior seven years..

Meaning that, during the next seven years things in our bodies will be constantly changing..

We don't completely change though.. I still have the same scars from when I was little.. hehehe

:P

A lot of the cells in our bodies are completely replaced, some remain with us for life though.  For skin, I think it is quite a bit less time involved.  It is counterintuitive, because we see our skin changing as we age and it only makes sense to think it is due to the physical age of the skin, but there are a variety of other factors involved.  Most of our skin is relatively young, from my understanding, the scars are young as well.

When looking at ourselves in a mirror, almost everything we can see is relatively new though, despite it looking older through the years.  

I've read from a variety of articles that neurons remain with us for life, but then I have read that they too change.  I think the enamel on our teeth is supposed to remain unchanged, some neurons change, others don't.  The majority of our body does get replaced over the course of a few years, some taking longer, some a lot less.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

A lot of the cells in our bodies are completely replaced, some remain with us for life though.  For skin, I think it is quite a bit less time involved.  It is counterintuitive, because we see our skin changing as we age and it only makes sense to think it is due to the physical age of the skin, but there are a variety of other factors involved.  Most of our skin is relatively young, from my understanding, the scars are young as well.

When looking at ourselves in a mirror, almost everything we can see is relatively new though, despite it looking older through the years.  

I've read from a variety of articles that neurons remain with us for life, but then I have read that they too change.  I think the enamel on our teeth is supposed to remain unchanged, some neurons change, others don't.  The majority of our body does get replaced over the course of a few years, some taking longer, some a lot less.

The main point I was getting at is, that it is a constant changing over that time period..

I know some people that think, welp. It's seven years later.. hehehe

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The main point I was getting at is, that it is a constant changing over that time period..

I know some people that think, welp. It's seven years later.. hehehe

I apologize for the confusion due to my part, I was getting a bit ahead of myself thinking about it.  I just find it fascinating, and get caught up thinking about how wild it all is.  I think it is kind of comforting as well, in a strange way.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

6 in 10 people terfs.

Since the "F" stands for "Feminist", I thought TERF was a term mainly reserved for women (not "people" in general)? (In case you didn't know, "TERF" stands for "Trans exclusionary radical feminist".)

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2023 at 2:46 PM, belindacarson said:

how can you claim to be "vulnerable" in a virtual world?

Claim? Hmm. Is that a value judgement about what somebody else says they feel?  As for feelings in a virtual world, we ARE talking about human beings, aren't we? Don't human beings have feelings no matter where they are?  Maybe you see SL as a game and this forum as part of the game. Maybe human feelings are not supposed to enter into the play, might spoil the fun, or something. I am mystified.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cate Foulsbane said:
On 7/21/2023 at 1:46 PM, belindacarson said:

how can you claim to be "vulnerable" in a virtual world?

Claim? Hmm. Is that a value judgement about what somebody else says they feel?  As for feelings in a virtual world, we ARE talking about human beings, aren't we? Don't human beings have feelings no matter where they are?  Maybe you see SL as a game and this forum as part of the game. Maybe human feelings are not supposed to enter into the play, might spoil the fun, or something. I am mystified.

I don't think Belinda understands how feelings work very well does she.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Labels are annoying, and eventually we'll be able to drop some of them -- but we're all "labellers," no? Man, woman, straight, gay, blonde, brunette . . . the list goes on pretty much endlessly.

I'm a cis-brunette, but I identify as an auburn.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.