Does it say something about me if I feel more "vulnerable" as a woman avi?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

42 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Nonsense.

Whilst I've never had it used as an 'insult' per se (like, "you cis-man, you!"), I have had it snapped at me with a rather derogatory tone as in "what do you know, you're a cis man, you can't have ever had a difficult day in your life". I'm not really a fan of the term, though, as in the vast majority of conversations my sexual orientation as well as my gender identity are totally irrelevant, it just gives much the same kind of effect as pointing out that I'm a 'white' man does (as if my complexion somehow puts me in the same compartment as the French or Canadians - bleh!). 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

You gonna tell me you've never heard "middle aged woman" used in a derogatory manner? I'll take that as a challenge if necessary!

Same way lots of identifiers can be used as insults. There's always going to be people that look down on others for who or what they are. Even in SL. Male, female, straight, gay, furry, tiny, and so on.

Although like I said, we don't see much of it in SL, and some even less than others. But it does happen.

You're debating 2 people who on this very forum itself were at one time complimented and then later felt insulted when the term "woke SJW's" was thrown about. Just thought I'd point that out. :)

10 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Absolutely. Doesn't make me entirely incorrect, though. 

I am a cis woman who is pretty darned active on the issue of gender on Twitter, the blogosphere, and elsewhere, and I can confidently say that I have never seen the term "cis" employed as an insult. I've seen cis women criticized on occasion, but that's not the same thing.

Just now, Orwar said:

Whilst I've never had it used as an 'insult' per se (like, "you cis-man, you!"), I have had it snapped at me with a rather derogatory tone as in "what do you know, you're a cis man, you can't have ever had a difficult day in your life".

This I can entirely believe. While I think the idea of "privilege" as an abstraction used to describe systemic elements of our culture is useful, I also don't think it very helpful to apply it to individuals, so I'd also agree that using it to dismiss you as an individual is not very valid. No one except you can have any real idea of how "privileged" you are.

3 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I'm not really a fan of the term, though, as in the vast majority of conversations my sexual orientation as well as my gender identity are totally irrelevant

Rigth! This is actually exactly where we're trying to get to. Which is of course why using a term like "women" inclusively to encompass also trans women is important: because these kinds of distinctions shouldn't be viewed as any more important than the fact that I have green eyes and brunette hair. Sadly, we're not there yet.

• Like 2

seems to me a WHOLE lot of people getting worked up over nothing.

I won't post stuff going on in the real world that actually counts, like the war in Ukraine that's displaced 40 million odd people, Russia threatening to sink ships that try to ship grain to Africa etc.  You know, stuff that REALLY matters and affects people.

After all, we can't upset sensitive people in a virtual world, can we.

• Like 1

Just now, belindacarson said:

I won't post stuff going on in the real world that actually counts, like the war in Ukraine that's displaced 40 million odd people, Russia threatening to sink ships that try to ship grain to Africa etc.

It'd be the mods you'd be upsetting, not me.

I thought you were all for getting rid of "RL topics" from the forums?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

You're debating 2 people who on this very forum itself were at one time complimented and then later felt insulted when the term "woke SJW's" was thrown about. Just thought I'd point that out. :)

If you tell me I'm a woke SJW I feel insulted (because you've always devalued activism).

If Scylla calls me a SJW I smile.

Are you saying you can't see the difference here?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Just putting it in comparison.

y'know.  Stuff that ACTUALLY matters, not stuff that "triggers" the frozen water and chocolate confectionery brigade

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, belindacarson said:
8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Just putting it in comparison.

y'know.  Stuff that ACTUALLY matters, not stuff that "triggers" the frozen water and chocolate confectionery brigade

The feminine-looking boy that had has head bashed in and left to die, not far from where I live.....matters.

• Like 1

To bring this back to SL, as one should, I suppose . . .

Cis and trans are mostly meaningless terms in the context of this platform -- although I certainly do know trans people who identify as trans in-world, and I understand why.

But mostly the gender identity and sexual biology of the typist just shouldn't matter here.

If you identify as a woman in SL, I don't care if you're cis or flag yourself as trans -- you're a woman so far as I'm concerned.

I'm sooooo tired of people policing other people's identities.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Cis and trans are mostly meaningless terms in the context of this platform -- although I certainly do know trans people who identify as trans in-world, and I understand why.

But mostly the gender identity and sexual biology of the typist just shouldn't matter here.

If you identify as a woman in SL, I don't care if you're cis or flag yourself as trans -- you're a woman so far as I'm concerned.

I agree, unless I'm in a romantic relationship with someone here.

I do not want to be in a romantic relationship with a man.

22 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Whilst I've never had it used as an 'insult' per se (like, "you cis-man, you!"), I have had it snapped at me with a rather derogatory tone as in "what do you know, you're a cis man, you can't have ever had a difficult day in your life". I'm not really a fan of the term, though, as in the vast majority of conversations my sexual orientation as well as my gender identity are totally irrelevant, it just gives much the same kind of effect as pointing out that I'm a 'white' man does (as if my complexion somehow puts me in the same compartment as the French or Canadians - bleh!). 

"You wouldn't know/understand, you're only a cis-man."

8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

If you tell me I'm a woke SJW I feel insulted (because you've always devalued activism).

I don't devalue activism as I also engage in it. The difference is who that activism is focused on.

One should feel complimented for being recognized for what one stands for, whether a friend or foe.

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:
14 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I don't devalue activism as I also engage in it. The difference is who that activism is focused on.

One should feel complimented for being recognized for what one stands for, whether a friend or foe.

because you have always devalued the type of activism I am involved in......

29 minutes ago, Orwar said:

22 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This I can entirely believe. While I think the idea of "privilege" as an abstraction used to describe systemic elements of our culture is useful, I also don't think it very helpful to apply it to individuals, so I'd also agree that using it to dismiss you as an individual is not very valid. No one except you can have any real idea of how "privileged" you are.

Rigth! This is actually exactly where we're trying to get to. Which is of course why using a term like "women" inclusively to encompass also trans women is important: because these kinds of distinctions shouldn't be viewed as any more important than the fact that I have green eyes and brunette hair. Sadly, we're not there yet.

Orwar said it better than me, what I was going for.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Orwar said:

pffft You're too pale to be Canadian or French... or French Canadian. 🧛🏽‍♂️

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
11 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

because you have always devalued the type of activism I am involved in......

Because it tends to focus and change those who are not open to change rather than those who are.

Activism, by its very definition, seeks to change what is not currently willing to change, and for the benefit of those experiencing oppression by those who want to maintain their place of power.

So I have no idea what you're saying here.

19 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

All well and good till a male born woman enters a prim lifting competition for the women's team!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Fair. Mostly I'm agreeing with Orwar.

Mostly.

😮

shocked-face-mr-bean-nlcgs4qi59yforw9.gi

.. .. Also this gif would actually be a decent tool to teach people how view angle ('zoom') works.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.