Multiple alt accounts with the same name showing everywhere

kavakelyr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello I'm making this post to ask something about this, if someone had the misfortune of finding some of those bot accounts called [name redacted by moderator] popping up in their lands. There's actually like 100 alts accounts with the same name around the grid and they're appearing in many places and then leaving instantly, not sure what they're doing, if they're simply bots or chasing down people and spying on other's parcels, it's really scary the fact that some of those accounts even showed on my parcel and were trying to get inside of my house or trying to harass some friends of mine, they all had to ban all the multiple [name redacted by moderator]accounts from their parcels just to get rid of them but other [name redacted by moderator]accounts keep appearing with a different number in the name. The [name redacted by moderator] even also own a group for every alt accounts called [name redacted by moderator].

If some LL admin or worker can take a look to this, I suggest them to ban all the accounts from the game and dissolve the group they made for the alts, please.

Edited by Dyna Mole
  • Like 1

You may want to remove the name from your Title and Post, mainly because not all of those are Bot's.. There are some that had the misfortune to just pick those names when they joined SL..

But the main reason is, they will more that likely lock the thread because we aren't allowed to name and shame any accounts in SL..

You could say something like ,Certain well known bots and most will know what you are meaning. this way your thread might stand a chance of sticking around for a bit.

• Like 1

• kavakelyr changed the title to Multiple alt accounts with the same name showing everywhere
4 hours ago, kavakelyr said:

Hello I'm making this post to ask something about this, if someone had the misfortune of finding some of those bot accounts called [name redacted by moderator] popping up in their lands. There's actually like 100 alts accounts with the same name around the grid and they're appearing in many places and then leaving instantly, not sure what they're doing, if they're simply bots or chasing down people and spying on other's parcels, it's really scary the fact that some of those accounts even showed on my parcel and were trying to get inside of my house or trying to harass some friends of mine, they all had to ban all the multiple [name redacted by moderator]accounts from their parcels just to get rid of them but other [name redacted by moderator] accounts keep appearing with a different number in the name. The [name redacted by moderator]even also own a group for every alt accounts called [name redacted by moderator].

If some LL admin or worker can take a look to this, I suggest them to ban all the accounts from the game and dissolve the group they made for the alts, please.

Being a bot (scripted agent) is not forbidden in Secondlife. They can even be very useful for our virtual world.
What the people behind the bots do with the data can be illegal though. Linden Lab has formulated what is forbidden in their ToS.
When you think the scripted agents you find on your land do things that are against the ToS, you should contact LL directly by filing an AR or a ticket.
Discussion on this forum about said bots was very extensive already and will not solve your problem I'm afraid.

Edited by Dyna Mole
Small text improvements.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, kavakelyr said:

Hello I'm making this post to ask something about this, if someone had the misfortune of finding some of those bot accounts called [name redacted by moderator] popping up in their lands. There's actually like 100 alts accounts with the same name around the grid and they're appearing in many places and then leaving instantly, not sure what they're doing, if they're simply bots or chasing down people and spying on other's parcels, it's really scary the fact that some of those accounts even showed on my parcel and were trying to get inside of my house or trying to harass some friends of mine, they all had to ban all the multiple [name redacted by moderator] accounts from their parcels just to get rid of them but other [name redacted by moderator] accounts keep appearing with a different number in the name. The [name redacted by moderator] even also own a group for every alt accounts called [name redacted by moderator].

If you search their name on the internet you can see their website and what they are doing, you can even track where they are at any time. There seem to be ten online at any time. They collect land data and what the most popular attachments are. I must say rather surprised at one of the attachments being so popular, seems to suggest more people doing sexy stuff than I thought !

But anyway take a look at where they are and what they do here:

https://www.bonniebots.com/about

And for context more info on Bots here:

https://www.lounetizen.com/botdata/

Where you say" some of those accounts even showed on my parcel and were trying to get inside of my house or trying to harass some friends of mine" I get a visual image of them squashing up against your window like in a zombie movie. I presume you say it that way for dramatic effect and all they are doing is showing up such you notice them and leaving again shortly doing what they are supposed to do and not doing anything else?

Edited to add NWN reports on a meeting between them and Patch Linden in January, where they made some changes to address concerns raised by Linden Lab. So unless they are doing anything other than collecting their data, Linden Lab already know about it and no need to report it again unless you have some reason to think they are doing something else than a bot is expected to do.

https://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2023/01/bonnie-bots-sl-patch-linden.html

Edited by Dyna Mole
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Since the OP is relatively new, I'll add that this group of bots and what they're doing is well known and has been talked about ad naseum in other threads that you can easily search for. That's why some of the reactions above :) And as noted, you should [snip] out the names of the bots and the group from your post, that's a no-no on the forums, regardless of your good intentions.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 1

As the rest already pointed. Search around the forums, there are plenty of threads about them as well how to deal with them. We just ban and block any bot we see anywhere on premises.

[image redacted by moderator]

Edited by Dyna Mole

46 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I thought we couldn't "name and shame" Bot companies!

I went and looked at all of those one time and seen some that were actually users with way older accounts..

I feel for them having something like that come along that clumps them into the mix of a bot army.. all of a sudden just getting kicks and bans and  who knows what kinds of IM's.

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Actually, they do NOT all have the exact same name because usernames must be unique.  

Now, they could all have the exact same DISPLAY Name.

I think these particular bots all have the same first name but then a unique number after the name.  Like PinkBot1580, PinkBot0952, etc. (example, not real that I know of)  I think that's what the OP meant.  

@kavakelyr  You didn't indicate whether your place is on mainland, or on a private estate.  If you're  on a private estate, you can contact the region owner or estate manager to see if they will set a new estate level setting which prevents scripted agents.   This new estate setting is not available on mainland (though it has been set by LL for all of the Bellisseria Linden Home areas).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

Where you say" some of those accounts even showed on my parcel and were trying to get inside of my house or trying to harass some friends of mine"

Just as an FYI, I've had one of those show up trying to port into my house after calling the botters out on Twitter. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I assume those were "not bots"?

Yes it was a bot. At the time they could be crashed by teleporting them home, the bot would end up inactive on the parcel border.

I speculate this is because of a quirk in the bot account creation process, they are never logged in with a regular client so their initial home location (the first TP away from newbie island) never gets set.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:
1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I assume those were "not bots"?

Yes it was a bot. At the time they could be crashed by teleporting them home, the bot would end up inactive on the parcel border.

I speculate this is because of a quirk in the bot account creation process, they are never logged in with a regular client so their initial home location (the first TP away from newbie island) never gets set.

Interesting that they were trying to get into your home, though. 

It implies some bots have different behaviors, programmed to act differently (out of spite for people who complain, or whatever).

I've personally reported at least a dozen of accounts for impersonation, including the one that visited Coffee. We've also been kicking out any fakes from the official group as we spot them. If it's not in the ACTUAL group(someone made an impersonation group as well. -.- ) or listed on the website, it's not one of ours and we can't do anything besides report it. And reporting around a dozen only resulted in about three being deleted. Possible others were banned and not fully removed though.

If one of the BB accounts is popping into your house and you POLITELY message us about it, we might be willing to come look and help. Ranting and going off like a Karen will likely result in snark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Skyler Pancake said:

If one of the BB accounts is popping into your house and you POLITELY message us about it, we might be willing to come look and help. Ranting and going off like a Karen will likely result in snark.

To me that shows a very poor attitude from you.

If one of your bots is popping into someone's house, they have a right to be annoyed about it and one person's justified, rather annoyed complaint is another's 'ranting and going off like a Karen'. Even if they are polite you only might be willing to help.

There should be no question about it, you are in the wrong sending your agent into their house in the first place and you should do something about it regardless of the inconvenienced person's perceived manner.

Edit to add: it's what is called 'professional conduct', something that seems to elude many people. Perhaps if that were less the case, there would be less drama around all of this.

Edited by Rick Nightingale
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.