Copycat...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 428 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 minutes ago, Mousy Littlepaws said:

How would You deal with a copycat?

I wouldn't. My look changes daily, if not hourly. I go from pink to orange to blue, wood elf to mermaid to frog to sphynx cat to orc to undead. Female to male. Formal gowns to techwear and everything in between. I swap heads more than Princess Mombi. I take a lot of photos and I'm not at all a shopaholic. Mhm, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. 😉

If someone wants to try and keep up with that, good luck to em.

I guess that's one answer to your question, come to think of it - change looks constantly.

• Like 16

I wouldn't care. If people ask me what I'm wearing, doing or something, I tell them, happily. I wear, do, visit and everything the things I do because I like them. Other people can like them too. Although I don't think most people would be interested in the things I wear or do, since most people probably actually shop more than I do. I did get asked at the gym two days ago where I got my pants though, and they were a group gift. I saw she had them, and the same shirt I did on today, we were on treadmills by each other. I thought it was kind of neat, but I might be odd one out.

I've been accused, twice now, of being someone's alt because my avatar resembled someone someone else knew, just barely apparently. It wasn't true in either case, but it stopped me from going some places I like, even stopped me from logging in for a while. It's extremely annoying to be told that. It's also extremely annoying to be told I can't wear certain things, have my avatar be a certain height, go certain places, use whatever certain things, dance certain ways, say any certain thing that might, or might not, closely resemble that of someone else. This whole I own everything I do, am, see, wear, is really weird in a place that at best has less than 40,000 people at any given time. 

If I see an outfit out someone is wearing and I like it, sometimes I ask them where they got it. Sometimes, I just use a what's she wearing thing someone gave me, so I don't have to bother them. I don't think people in sl are as original as they think they are, unless they go way out of the norm. I get a lot of ideas from things others have on or are doing. I get them from their profiles too by reading the groups they're in. I would hope none of them would be angry, but if they are, it's a them problem, not a me problem. 

• Like 6

My issues is, it's not just a random person I see at a club or event, it's someone I see daily. If I buy something for me, they want it too. If someone gifts me something, they want it too. If I wear something random on that day, they want to do it too. I'm a shapeshifter so my look changes almost daily.

See where I'm going with this lol?

Edited by Mousy Littlepaws

12 minutes ago, Mousy Littlepaws said:

My issues is, it's not just a random person I see at a club or event, it's someone I see daily. If I buy something for me, they want it too. If someone gifts me something, they want it too. If I wear something random on that day, they want to do it too. I'm a shapeshifter so my look changes almost daily.

See where I'm going with this lol?

If you're already a shapeshifter, you could try shifting harder. Buy a monster head for funsies and go nuts styling it. Go full Lovecraftian horror show. 

I do this on occasion. Very few will follow you on that journey - not counting those who are already into that scene. And if you do get copied, well, at least you can horrify people together. 😂

• Like 3

It could be just a weird form of compliment, and if so, I guess it depends on your personality and brand of curiosity. Mine’s broad and often deep, but not overly inclined to the weird, so I doubt I could summon enough interest to try & find out. If that’s not your case… then I guess just ask her.

Or it could be some sort of provocation, in which case you definitely shouldn’t show any reaction to it, since it’d only make her do it more.

• Like 4

Following Seraphim and some fashion bloggers, it is easy to see the new things. Ison has a new C88 outfit? Many go there as soon as it opens, and buy it. Stealthic has a group gift hair? The store is full of people. Pure Poison has a rings/nails weekend offer? Lelutka has new heads, 25% off the first days?

Or, are you wearing older items, from small, unknown brands?

The latter is copying you, the former is just shopping what's new.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 3

I am a blogger, not even a good one imo but I get questions alot and I always share...it also went so far that 3 girls asked me to give them my personal tattoos without even knowing what they mean, because of course in japanese x3 one is my husband's name one and the other is my husband's and mine birthday (yes we really share the same day)...I was like ok tell them that so they probably would understand and they wouldn't even want it anymore ...guess what? Yes, they all said they wouldn't care as long as they look like me.. I was... perplexed also haha and of course I don't fancy anyone else running around with my hubbies name like that lol some people just go too far a tad x3

But the rest? Just take it lightly it's just pixels, so let them have it but if they are copybotting your shape and Outfits Infront of you I would totally AR them x3 it's one thing to put afford in to looking like someone you fancy, but another to steal using illegal techniques...I don't like lazy people >:D

• Like 1

Anyone else thinking about this?

(JamieR)__SingleWhiteFemale(1).jpg

My advice to the OP is to keep a close eye on your boyfriend and your puppy.

More seriously... have you tried making your own clothes? You can buy some full-perm template kits relatively cheaply, make your own textures for them. (The kits come with blank or simple textures that you can export into Photoshop or GIMP, modify and re-import as a new texture). Good luck to your copycat, copying something that's absolutely unique and cannot be purchased anywhere.  (And if they DO copy it, then you have absolute proof that they are using illegal copybot software, and you can then AR them). 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

are'nt yall just copying eachother at the end of the day? I mean how many jeans skirts bikini tuxedo sportswear latex ensembles and thousands of other  styles are there in SL? and how do you go about enforce reporting a 'copybotter' if you have no say on the creations licensing and IP? that would be up to the registered agent/copyright holder to address, not LL, so who would you be reporting to otherwise, simply, block, de-render and move on.

• Like 4

If they are showing up in things you created, then I would AR them because like some have said, they are probably using a viewer that's not allowed..

But if it's just things you are buying..I get a lot of new people that I help that will do something like that, only because they haven't really taken off on their own yet to find their own looks.. Although somethings they can't get because they aren't  around anymore..

If it's at a club or some hangout, I would expect it.. If it's someone you are hanging around a lot, you could just ask them why.

I think the less that people make or modify things for themselves nowadays, the more cookie cutter things get..

Heck it's getting hard to tell a lot of stores apart from selling the same things.. hehehehe

I had an RL friend, years back, who would buy any electronic gadget or computer type things that I bought or even talked about buying. This was back in the very early days of computing, when new and interesting stuff was coming out daily.

After a while, I started deliberately mentioning things to him, just to see what he did. Without fail, he would have the thing within a few days.

I nearly bankrupted him!

• Like 4
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 2

56 minutes ago, Rick Daylight said:

I had an RL friend, years back, who would buy any electronic gadget or computer type things that I bought or even talked about buying. This was back in the very early days of computing, when new and interesting stuff was coming out daily.

After a while, I started deliberately mentioning things to him, just to see what he did. Without fail, he would have the thing within a few days.

I nearly bankrupted him!

That's what goes through my mind if someone were to try and keep up with someone else's wardrobe.. That's high dollar, especially nowadays for  how much they overcharge for pretty basic clothes, with a single color paint job, that are a dime a dozen, sitting in 20 different stores..Let alone broken down into pieces. hehehe

Ceka,Check out my new panties and  top that cost more than the mesh body under them.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 428 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.