Copycat...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 428 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, Mousy Littlepaws said:

How would You deal with a copycat? Someone that actively searches what you are wearing, and not only buys it but wears it right away to match you. Things from hair, clothes, companions, body, head etc....

It depends on who they were to me, if they are my good friend then it is tit for tat, if I like what they buy we are usually shopping together anyway so that can happen ten times a day, then we meet up with others and tp back so they can get said same stuff. We even did a post years ago of three of us all wearing the same things because TWINSSSSSSSSSSS well I guess Triplets but you get the point.

However if this is just someone you randomly see at your home sim, interact with because of social or work circle, then you may indeed need to say something. Maybe just say that you are flattered that they emulate your style and understand your taste is superb, but you would really like to have your moment, they can wear those items tomorrow or three hours from then if you change often. 

You could use bloggers as a detour. Start talking about how you love such and such bloggers style, that you wish you could keep up with their looks etc, act like she is acting with you on someone else, and see if she jumps ship and starts copying who she thinks you are fangirling.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mousy Littlepaws said:

How would You deal with a copycat? Someone that actively searches what you are wearing, and not only buys it but wears it right away to match you. Things from hair, clothes, companions, body, head etc....

Depending on how old this copycat is, with the prevalence of BoM bodies I'd be tempted to wear my old system layer clobber exclusively for a while. Knowing plenty of stuff I own can't be bought anymore it's almost guaranteed the copier would be using a copybot of some sort if seen wearing the same system layers 

• Like 2

I think if you see them every day, then they are doing it on purpose trying to bother you.

With that in mind:

- Don't let it bother you

- Completely ignore it

- Don't let someone else's weird / creepy / compulsive / obsessive behavior harm YOUR enjoyment of Second Life

If you were indeed to block/ignore them, they would probably lose their ever-loving sh*t so, maybe not the best option since you'd miss out on their reaction. They'd have to make alts / go through friends to let you know just how much it bothered them

Some backstory:  Early in my Second Life, I had an acquaintance at my home-spot who complained that her "Friend" was doing the copycat bit.  For some reason, she wanted to involve me in the drama, which at that point I could not think of a good solution for.  Plus: "not my circus, not my monkeys".  Anyway, I ended up first muting, and later blocking the copycat so I wouldn't have to see it myself.

16 years later, I think that maybe in that case, both the "original" and the "copycat" were the same user; they were acting as both avatars trying to create drama for their own personal reasons.

The day I finally blocked the "copy", the people who were standing around seemed shocked.  I think as part of their drama, they wanted to see what Love would do or say about their "problem". (As if I was one to give "good advice"!)

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure anyone could copy me exactly. Sure, Maitreya body, Lelutka head, DOUX hair, but past that, they'd never exactly duplicate my proportions or the tweaks I've made to every slider across my avatar. They might come close, but still not me. To address the question though, slightly creeped out but also slightly flattered?

Same dress though? One of us needs to go home and change right away!

I don't think people in sl are as original as they think they are

Agree. Just drop into any popular club like Warehouse 21, Exhale, Club 511, etc and you'll immediately see the lack of originality and thematic avatar sameness on full display.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I don't think people in sl are as original as they think they are

Agree. Just drop into any popular club like Warehouse 21, Exhale, Club 511, etc and you'll immediately see the lack of originality and thematic avatar sameness on full display.

It's worse in RL. 

Ever show up to a RL club / pool and someone else had the same outfit on?  I've seen it happen with bathing suits, one person suddenly goes and changes. lol!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Rise, Great Cthulhu!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKJ9myQq-bpK294fiblqj

Believe it or not (though coming from me, you'll likely believe it), I know where to get a Cthulhu head with animated tentacles.

I almost bought it myself, but settled on a monster with a split face and vertical rows of fangs instead.

As one does. 😂

6 hours ago, Mousy Littlepaws said:

Ohh love this idea 😍

Silliness aside, my real advice, aside from just talking to her to find out what's up, is always be difficult to copy in whatever style you're going for. If you care about such things, of course. Shop off the beaten path more often than not. Hit up places that don't often show up in events. Create some parts of your look yourself (I make my own custom seasonal/themed antlers for my deer with full perm/mod perm home decor, random shelf fillers/clutter, and food items, for example), and collect cheap gacha items from the MP to add little finishing touches to your look. And of course, make your own shapes from scratch.

I toss full credits on most photos I take and my friends know where I shop for my head/skin basics (as I'm constantly trying to turn them into some creature or another, rather unsuccessfully, lol) and I've yet to run into any look-alikes.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Does that make bullies implode, or explode?  Ooh! explode then implode, like a star before it becomes a singularity / black hole!

Technically, the explosion is merely an expansion stage, due to the fusion now happening only in the outer layers of the star, then it loses those outer layers either into the vacuum of space or into new heavier elements, then white dwarf, then when enough fuel burned that the star can't maintain itself, the inevitable and resulting supernova, assuming we're taliing a giant star.

Oh be a fine girl/guy kiss me. ;) OBAFGKM.

• Thanks 1

Funny, my wife and I own a lot of the same stuff but then we can style differently or the same though she does a more feminine look where as I'm either to do rocker or tomboy style or sometimes kawaii however not phased if we turn up in same outfit as like yesterday we both had same hair colour. We both just laughed and joked we went to the same neko hair stylist, but I would either be flattered or creeped out; just depends on how far they would go with copying.

• Like 1

This they have said as much: they are insecure and how everyone loves me. My guess would be, the copying isn't flattery but more of a "I want to be like her so everyone loves me too". (Creepy?) 

Like I had said earlier, I'm the type to give full names of outfits and pass on landmarks to help the other get a similar look. It doesn't bother me. This feels, strange to me 👀

I like to think that if someone is able to copy you, that means your look is not unique enough. ^_^
A person may be able to copy your outfit, hairstyle and possibly some accessories, but they cannot copy your body and face shape, the appliers on your body or your AO. It's those little things that can make our avatars unique just like each of us is. 

I have very unique look inworld that defines who I am and and crystal blue eyes that from all my time here I have met only one other person that had them, while I have seen many people wear similar outfits as I have, not a single one has attempted to copycat me and succeeded.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Mousy Littlepaws said:

So, you are saying *actively* searches you...which means they are using one of those 'what is she wearing' huds?  

And, then you shared she wants to be like you because she believes everyone loves you.

If it were me, I'd feel it strange.  Most people I know are in SL because they want to make unique avatars.  Even when I've given out group gifts, the people I see wearing it all look different.  For example, one may wear jeans and long hair and another has it dressed up with a skirt and a creative hairstyle with bows.  But, always everyone looks different, even in my group gifts, so I've never noticed this ever happening in SL except one time I saw twins who were exactly alike.  

If it were me, I think I'd block her and de-render.  This is where we could use our avatars turning gray upon the people we block.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Same dress though? One of us needs to go home and change right away!

This happened to me a little while ago. I get to a place and within few minutes get a im- I really need you to change ur outfit. I was already here and ur hair is too similar. people will think ur me.

My answer, which I didn't give to the person because I just closed the im-NO.

Cool, we bought the same outfit with the free gc we got at shop and hop, I bet thousands of others did too, since they had only certain things in their booth and some of us are too lazy to go find the mainstore. We have same taste in clothes, and hair. I'm still not changing and I don't care if anyone dislikes that, lol. Plus, there's one big difference between me and her. I'm not a jerk. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Mousy Littlepaws said:

good-night.gif

Sounds like an appearance in·cog·ni·to mode to prevend after right click interaction if only to report object but to avoid giving specific details about every object wearing like walking billboard for advertisments. I only wear demos now. I chose to be advertisements. After discovering the destination guide directory I was able to build him with from scratch with all the resourses. Cute huh? 

Annotation 2023-02-22 152053.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 428 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.