Palomma Casanova has passed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Pixieplumb Flanagan said:

I was sad to hear today that Palomma Casanova of the Free Dove has passed.  I'm very sad, but she is beyond suffering now, which is a blessing, as was counting her a friend throughout my time here.  Her hard work and generosity were remarkable, and SL will be the poorer without her.

I walked through the beautiful garden sim she had as a memorial to her rl Mom.  It was beautiful and I just spent time there walking around and feeling free.  She was a lovely person with a soul that reached beyond this Earth.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Modulated said:

I did not know her personally, but the Free Dove is legendary. I always appreciated that she created such a space for new people to get a decent start in SL for no cost.  May she rest.

I agree, I remember the Free Dove from when I joined in 2010, it's one of those sims that almost everyone will at least have heard of! You would sometimes see her inside or outside, editing or rezzing things. Sad news :(

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

I remember going in there when I was new in 2006.. I swear it felt like it was this cozy little shop then.. I might be remembering it wrong back then since it was so long ago.. But I always  just pictured it as this nice cozy welcoming place with this sign hanging outside above the door when i first came..I like remembering it that way even if that's not what it may have looked like back then..

I never got to meet her and that really is my loss.. The longevity of such a staple in SL alone, says so much about the kind of person she was..

Rest peacefully

All of my respects

Ceka Cianci

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

I'm so sorry, she will be missed.

The Free Dove (and the Gnubie Store) were places where I got my first inventory. I still go to the Free Dove occasionaly.

I think most of us have memories of going freebie shopping there, and I'm sorry I never took the time for saying thanks 😟. We think we have all the time in the world but we don't. 

As I said, she will be missed. 

• Like 11
  • Sad 2

I am sorry to hear of her passing. I remember going there as a noobborn in 2010 on someone's recommendation. Free Dove was a major upgrade from the spampire-infested Freebie Dungeon hell. Our early wardrobes had never looked better thanks to her.

May she rest easy.  She will be missed.

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

I am sorry to hear of her passing. I remember going there as a noobborn in 2010 on someone's recommendation. Free Dove was a major upgrade from the spampire-infested Freebie Dungeon hell. Our early wardrobes had never looked better thanks to her.

May she rest easy.  She will be missed.

And thanks to the many creators who have contributed too. It all came together there.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

I remember being taken there by a kindly stranger on my first day in SL. I was amazed that everything was so nice and pretty, and most of all free. Palomma helped many a newbie (and some veterans, too!) during her SL tenure. She will be missed. Rest in peace. 

• Like 10

I remember the original Free Dove, it was such a great place. I would always send new players there to get clothing etc, as i often helped at new player areas. Free Dove is the place that started, myself and many others in Second Life's journey. SL would have been a dull place without Free Dove and similar places. I also remember it being such a nice place to visit when you're new, very friendly and helpful. I didn't know palomma, but im sure she helped me alot at some point, being there in those days are some of the best memories i have in SL. Farewell Friend, I will never forget you.

• Like 7

Ill copy  the message that was on reddit fyi - Palomma specifically  did not wish the free dove to continue when she was gone.

Hello dear friends of Palomma,

It is with great sadness and pain that I have to announce you that Palomma Casanova left us on Saturday January 14 after a long illness. This is a shock to me and a huge loss. She fought her illness with all the energy she had and endured the pain very bravely. Her passion for her work and for helping others was admirable.

For almost 12 years, this kind, generous and talented woman was by my side day after day. She will be missed by all of us who had the chance to know her. May she rest peacefully with all my love.

--

About Free Dove

When the subject of her eventual departure was brought up, Palomma's response was that Free Dove would POOOOF when it was over for her. Free Dove was her baby, the vehicle that allowed her to express her love of people and her willingness to help them, but she didn't want it to outlive her. She had created Free Dove in 2006 and when she left, her group had reached nearly 150,000 members, a rare achievement. We will remember her as the generous woman who dedicated 17 years of her life to SL citizens.

I have no idea when Free Dove will disappear. In the meantime, I have blocked all payment boxes for Free Dove shops, I am unable to refund your last payments, but your shops can remain in place until the end comes.

Regarding Christmas trees and Christmas gifts, I will be returning them this Wednesday because the holiday season is over. As for last month's HUNTs panels, I will try to change the textures and replace them with an image to pay homage to Palomma.

Concerning the "Free Dove" group, you will retain the ability to send notices as long as the building exists, but please don't abuse and follow Palomma's rules. The day the building disappears, I will remove the ability to send notices to all.

As for creators' gifts and the prims belonging to other people, they will all be returned the day the land is abandoned.

Thank you for taking the time to read me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 14

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.