Palomma Casanova has passed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Oh sad news:( I didn't know her personally but am always saddened to hear of an SL resident's passing. My thoughts go to her family and friends.

I only discovered Free Dove last year, it was very generous of Palomma to create it. It'll be missed by many I'm sure, but important to respect her wishes. Thank you @Faithless Babii for your post.

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 9

• Administrators

I was very saddened to hear of the passing of Palomma Casanova.  My first reaction was to think through how to save the legacy she left behind, however this does seem to be in conflict with her wishes.  We will do whatever is respectfully necessary to move forward and offer any assistance where we can.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 16

2 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

I was very saddened to hear of the passing of Palomma Casanova.  My first reaction was to think through how to save the legacy she left behind, however this does seem to be in conflict with her wishes.  We will do whatever is respectfully necessary to move forward and offer any assistance where we can.

Perhaps letting Free Dove go and keeping the memorial(s) would not conflict with her wishes. Her memorials for her mother and sister could serve as her memorials in SL.

• Like 14

4 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

Besides hounering her with some type of memorial 
we as a SL community should create a annual Dove event - in her memory - where creators big n small get to share with the world

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Perhaps letting Free Dove go and keeping the memorial(s) would not conflict with her wishes. Her memorials for her mother and sister could serve as her memorials in SL.

I hope Patch will give serious consideration to preserving SUNFLOWER PARK with ANGELICAL MEMORIES http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Epilais/230/197/100 

I do not think that in any way conflicts with Palomma's wishes to shut Free Dove, and it already has a touching memorial to her sister.

park.jpg

• Like 16

20 hours ago, Mousy Littlepaws said:

You know how LL saved Tempura from being non existent, I've been wondering if they could do the same for Free Dove. It would be a shame for it to dissappear now :(

Her wish is the store not to outlast her. But Memorial in the place of her store. Would be to honor her. So others can always see that and remember, what a great, awesome person she was. How many she Blessed by doing what she did with her heart. She will forever be missed, loved, & her name/store carried on! ❤️😭💔 May her RL/SL family, friends, & more, receive comfort & peace that passes all understanding.. God wrap His arms around everyone during this time. While He called His Angel home. 

• Like 5

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, AnnieBrightstar said:

I hope Patch will give serious consideration to preserving SUNFLOWER PARK with ANGELICAL MEMORIES http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Epilais/230/197/100 

I do not think that in any way conflicts with Palomma's wishes to shut Free Dove, and it already has a touching memorial to her sister.

park.jpg

I would be absolutely supportive of that and I will explore if there is a way to preserve it and a memorial for her.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 12

19 hours ago, Mousy Littlepaws said:

Yeah I'm there now. It's beautiful

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Epilais/197/198/100

OMG!  My first land was in Epilais.  I've revisited the sim from time to time to see what changed and have seen the memorial, but for some reason didn't put the maker together with being the owner of The Free Dove.  

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

If anything, her kindness and service to the community all these years should have earned her a place in the Linden Memorial Park.

As for the store... Even if The Free Dove ceases to exist, I hope Palomma's flame burns bright when someone picks up her torch and continue her...

But I think she won't mind if, before the place go poof, Lindens will video record the place, and maybe make a video-on-demand display of the place in the memorial space for her in LMP.

• Like 4

On 1/18/2023 at 5:14 AM, MistressViper Voom said:

Any info on this.. (Free Dove) I would try to take it over if I had information.

Although Palomma specifically wished The Free Dove to cease to exist with her passing, that doesn't mean we who are still here are not allowed to carry on her initiatives...

We can all join forces with how we can, and create a new emporium in her memory... We can call it The Free Spirit of Palomma... Because that was what she was dedicated for... and also, because her spirit is now freed from the bounds of our worlds ...

• Like 9

I was shocked and saddened by the news of Palomma's passing. Like many of you, The Free Dove was one of those places I used to visit regularly. I will miss her and her tireless work for the SL community.

Compared to other freebie stores on the grid, Palomma refreshed her inventory of fabulous freebies regularly, so it was always worth it to visit every 3-4 months, just to see what was new. I also enjoyed the monthly hunts The Free Dove used to hold!

I've been taking a break from blogging, but my most recent blogpost is about Palomma's passing, and how the soon-to-close freebie store The Free Dove, plus the recent changes at another popular and long-running freebie store at Ajuda SL Brasil, mean that we might be seeing the end of the freebie store era in Second Life:

P.S. This is Vanity Fair; I forgot that I was signed in as one of my alts when I posted this!

Edited by VirtualLibrarian
  • Like 11

Patch Linden Please can you contact me . Shelby Monitor

I was thinking yes Palomma's wish was for it to go away along with her. But . How about we make her place a LM a safe hub .

place a building and beable to let designers put free gifts , and have volunteers work there to help the new and old . this would be a great tribute to her legacy 1 and 2 in a way

let it continue . different yes but the place LM's where it began and can continue. I am willing to help and so many others have offered.

Right now i have staff helping me at her store. i can't sit back and let it go to shambles. just because she is gone. I will help all that need it and continue till the day the doors close.

But hoefully there can be a new beginning. With Love Shelby Monitor 

• Like 6

On 1/18/2023 at 12:57 PM, AnnieBrightstar said:

park.jpg

I went there after going to the store to pay my respects..  It's such a beautiful place and  I could just feel how special it was there.. I sat on the swing and just scrolled through the different lightings listening to the music and taking snapshots and just thinking.. I read all of her profile and everything she had written there in that beautiful place and just could feel myself absorbing what it was intended for..  I just thought about all of the people she had touched this whole time and cannot even imagine what that number would be..

It's such a beautiful place and I do hope that they find a way to preserve it.. I know I could feel something powerful when I was there..

626842688_SunflowerGarden.thumb.png.63658ea5e5adb105aa97b7a2a43ccd54.png

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 7

On 1/18/2023 at 9:08 PM, Patch Linden said:

Hi @Patch Linden is it possible to ask around on when The Free Dove will end?

Also what will happen when the time comes? Will the building simply disappear as everything in the parcel get returned?

There are probably some who want to pay their last respect, being there waiting for the time when the ending happens. Symbolically being beside Palomma as her time in Second Life passes, in spirit if not in person. May probably be a kind of closure as well for some.

• Like 3

I met 'Palomma' in Active Worlds/Ohio United back around 2000. Neither of us were from Ohio but they were a nice group of people and we became good friends. She and I liked to chase the next VR world and so migrated to There.com and eventually SecondLife where she obviously really excelled. I am so saddened and yet happy for her that she is no longer in pain. I truly will Miss You old friend. May you rest in peace and condolences to your family from mine. ~Justen

New Year's Party-12-31-04.png

• Like 11

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.