Do AFK avatars drive new residents away?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

Oh ffs so what do you do about the avatars, they always are naked until they are loaded

regardless of the zone rating so the whole "rating" thingie is literally a facade.

(Pft kids being around is so restrictive,  don't want to tell you my thoughts about the "quiet" sex couples have due to kids.)

I usually know where they are when they are home.. During the day they are usually either outside  or at school.. A lot of the time when they are home in the house, I'm around them for the few hours they are awake.. I'm making dinner or helping with homework and things like that.. I'm usually not on SL then, but when they are and I am on it.. I just keep a good ear out.

As far as kids being around and things being so restrictive and quiet sex.. I guess that depends on the room you have and the options you are limited to on when and where you have it.. hehehe

Myself, I miss them when they aren't around and I'm wanting as much time with them before they go out on their own..I just hope they stay close to where I can still see them all the time.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, rasterscan said:

Update the on by default five minute AFK anim with a quiet stand. Bingo. Everyone's happy. No ?

Or .. With the Macarena. No one's going to dare take their eyes off their SL whilst logged in ever again! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/16/2022 at 6:21 PM, Ceka Cianci said:

As far as kids being around and things being so restrictive and quiet sex.. I guess that depends on the room you have and the options you are limited to on when and where you have it.. hehehe

Somehow that never worked for my parents or grandparents, i always c-blocked them although 80 acres of land and 4 houses in it.

youre-gonna-get-caught-up-booboo-jemmye-

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

Somehow that never worked for my parents or grandparents, i always c-blocked them although 80 acres of land and 4 houses in it.

youre-gonna-get-caught-up-booboo-jemmye-

My whole family owns the road we all live on.. With all our land combined, you could probably go 5 miles in any direction before you seen someone else's fences and that's as the crow flies.. We have like 7 mountains in our back yard which if you stretched them out it ends up being a lot farther..

I couldn't tell you how many times we had to get on horses and go back there because someone stayed back there too long and ran out of good light and got lost..

What happens is in good light you can see the turns and cuts in the trails through the trees and tell which way to go.. Everything is much more 3d..But when it gets late afternoon and the light starts to go down, you start to quickly lose that 3d perspective and any depth at all.. The forest gets 2 dimensional and flat and cuts off them trail openings.. That's when  we have to ride up and get them..

When it gets dark back there, them sounds can scare the crap out of people.. We've had some that were only lost up there for a few of hours.. You'd a thought they hadn't seen a person in weeks.. hehehe

We've camped back there with people that haven't ever been up there before.. Even when they are with us, you can see them listening  hard.. You can just feel their butts tighten up from an acorn hitting the ground..  hehehe

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

When it gets dark back there, them sounds can scare the crap out of people.. We've had some that were only lost up there for a few of hours.. You'd a thought they hadn't seen a person in weeks.. hehehe

We've camped back there with people that haven't ever been up there before.. Even when they are with us, you can see them listening  hard.. You can just feel their butts tighten up from an acorn hitting the ground..  hehehe

Mhm my family land is also connected to a mountain (that was ours too when the country was a Kingdom) ,

visitors always got nervous at night especially if we talked about witches, ghosts, etc coming from forest.

Used to have walks @11 pm - 2am as a child,  nothing unusual in it just plenty of thorns. (no bears here, its safe)

• Like 1

I don't know how off-putting "AFK avatars" are, but I can tell you that when some avatars arrive in my area, everyone standing and sitting around takes a look at them and decides for themselves if they want to say something.  Most visitors get multiple welcomes.  Some get stony silence as the existing conversation halts.  I guess you could say that their appearance drives the reaction.  If someone comes in and their appearance is obviously broken, then several people may ask if they are seeking assistance of some sort.  If they come in looking like a deliberate troll or complaining that voice chat is disabled... well, they may get one greeting, or none at all.  You can tell a lot about a person by how they react to that silence.  Someone coming in spewing friend requests generally gets a greeting and a request to relax and get to know people first.  Someone coming in spewing inventory offers, private messages or ad-hoc conferences quickly learns about being frozen on the spot and/or involuntary travel methods "eject" or "teleport agent home", depending on who reacts first.  We see a lot of people using the avatars from the Second Life Library and don't hold that against them.  I am pretty sure we have all been there.  I miss seeing the crowds of people wearing white shirts, blue pants and red shoes wandering through the neighborhood.  Now it takes a wee bit more experience to spot new arrivals from afar so I can offer them teleports to the group, which they are having trouble getting to.  Our place is a bit of a maze, and some haven't figured out flying yet.

• 1 year later...
On 12/15/2022 at 8:05 AM, AmeliaJ08 said:

I was surprised too, never had an issue before.

Either way I'm not going again if they're going to be like that, concerned about the amount of abuse that is being put towards people who dare to not be some giant assed Amazonian in SL these days.

As owner of Muddy's I can assure you that we do not look at the height of a avatar when making a call on if it is a child or teen avatar.  My goodness we have tiny faires that frequent our place.  What we do look at are things in the profiles such as groups indicating that they are a child av, profile picks of things such as pacifiers baby cribs, and what is also written in the profile to give some indication on if it is a small av or a av role playing a child or teen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bridget Hammill said:

As owner of Muddy's I can assure you that we do not look at the height of a avatar when making a call on if it is a child or teen avatar.  My goodness we have tiny faires that frequent our place.  What we do look at are things in the profiles such as groups indicating that they are a child av, profile picks of things such as pacifiers baby cribs, and what is also written in the profile to give some indication on if it is a small av or a av role playing a child or teen.

This thread has been dormant for a whole year. Did it really need to be revived, so you could promote your business?

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

This thread has been dormant for a whole year. Did it really need to be revived, so you could promote your business?

Muddy's was called out about their policies so I think it is perfectly reasonable to allow them to answer what was involved in their decision. regardless how long its been.

• Like 6

On 12/16/2022 at 8:53 AM, Nick0678 said:

Oh ffs so what do you do about the avatars, they always are naked until they are loaded

regardless of the zone rating so the whole "rating" thingie is literally a facade.

That right there is why I refuse to "update" to bom, because the naked system avi shows up first.

The mesh avi looks great when the mesh body rezzes, but until then the system avi's can be so horribly deformed, they are the stuff of nightmares. And the system body always seem to be below 20 k complexity, because as soon as the mesh body shows up, they jelly.

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

Muddy's was called out about their policies so I think it is perfectly reasonable to allow them to answer what was involved in their decision. regardless how long its been.

Muddys sound like those formal dance places, can't tell you how many times I've been asked to leave for not being properly attired.

Sorry, I don't have a gown, because they all suck.

Haven't you heard, with a little black dress, you can go anywhere.

😂

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

That right there is why I refuse to "update" to bom, because the naked system avi shows up first.

The mesh avi looks great when the mesh body rezzes, but until then the system avi's can be so horribly deformed, they are the stuff of nightmares. And the system body always seem to be below 20 k complexity, because as soon as the mesh body shows up, they jelly.

Yes and as they say the first impression is the lasting one so no wonder its hard for some to find a mate or at least a one night stand. 😜

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Muddys sound like those formal dance places, can't tell you how many times I've been asked to leave for not being properly attired.

😂

Think I been there once and I thought it was a bluesy sort of place. I didn't get kicked but the Hostess thought to make a public issue out of a little something I wore under my skirt, which got a little exposure on a particular dance move. I laughed at it but the date wanted to go to a different club that was a little more discrete about how patrons should dress.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bridget Hammill said:

That wasn't what happened, from memory. Not in any groups like that, no child accessories, no picks of that sort.

I'm 5'7 now although back then I think I was even taller! and the host asked me to leave because I was a 'teen', this was in 2022 and I haven't been back. Was very much a case of realistic height vs SL giants in my opinion.

I remember being confused by this but since then have refused to get taller and taller to try and fit in with SL's height inflation, sticking by my decision to be a more realistic height now. I had also been visiting Muddy's for a couple of years sporadically before this happened with no issue.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

😂

It's a rhythm and blues place.. I lost count on how many sims I go to that run their stream for it's music..

And ya, you probably at the very least have to have something on.. lol

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

That right there is why I refuse to "update" to bom, because the naked system avi shows up first

That makes no sense.  If your mesh body doesn't rez then your naked system body shows.  At least with BOM, if I'm wearing BOM undies, those rez on my system body so it's NOT naked.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

It's not that big of a deal unless it's a sim restart.. If you get there and everyone else is already there and rezzed for everyone else, you'll rez faster..

If everyone all went there at the same time, Ya you'll be standing around naked as a jay bird while you all rezz each other..

When you first get there you will probably see everyone else naked or rezzing.. They've already done that so the load to rez you is much lower than having to rez everyone..

So it's really not that big of a deal and people usually aren't all looking at the landing point anyways or who just walked in the door..

We're all too self absorbed in our own things to be having those, teen movie off to the prom,walking down the stairs in slow motion scenes, every time we hit a sim.. hehehe

Honestly, I think a lot of people already have it in there heads that it's just rezz time and everyone has it.. It sure doesn't slow down the IM's any.. lol

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It's not that big of a deal unless it's a sim restart.. If you get there and everyone else is already there and rezzed for everyone else, you'll rez faster..

If everyone all went there at the same time, Ya you'll be standing around naked as a jay bird while you all rezz each other..

When you first get there you will probably see everyone else naked or rezzing.. They've already done that so the load to rez you is much lower than having to rez everyone..

So it's really not that big of a deal and people usually aren't all looking at the landing point anyways or who just walked in the door..

We're all too self absorbed in our own things to be having those, teen movie off to the prom,walking down the stairs in slow motion scenes, every time we hit a sim.. hehehe

Honestly, I think a lot of people already have it in there heads that it's just rezz time and everyone has it.. It sure doesn't slow down the IM's any.. lol

If i walk into a busy club, i have to rezz everyone in my viewer, doesnt matter if they are all rezzed to each other. I see naked system bodies, and mis shapen mesh heads. my complexity limit for everyone is set to 20 k my settings are as low as possible, and my draw distance is 32m, I rarely lag much when i land. 

Friends are always complaining about how laggy things are… well… lower your settings 😁

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It's a rhythm and blues place.. I lost count on how many sims I go to that run their stream for it's music..

And ya, you probably at the very least have to have something on.. lol

If i go to a vanilla club, I do dress 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Think I been there once and I thought it was a bluesy sort of place. I didn't get kicked but the Hostess thought to make a public issue out of a little something I wore under my skirt, which got a little exposure on a particular dance move. I laughed at it but the date wanted to go to a different club that was a little more discrete about how patrons should dress.

Ive had hostesses complain because over my head there is text that says “touch my ears to see what I like”

And yes the notecard you get is Adult. I would take it off on a general sim, but on M?

Its not like i start moaning in public when you touch my ears.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

If i walk into a busy club, i have to rezz everyone in my viewer, doesnt matter if they are all rezzed to each other. I see naked system bodies, and mis shapen mesh heads. my complexity limit for everyone is set to 20 k my settings are as low as possible, and my draw distance is 32m, I rarely lag much when i land. 

Friends are always complaining about how laggy things are… well… lower your settings 😁

Ya, I'm just saying , you'll rez faster for those already there than everyone having to rezz everyone at the same time or you having to rez everyone at the same time..

I don't know if you are bothered by how you look to all of them or how they look to you.. I'm just saying if they are all rezzed  to each other, you won't have to worry for too long how you look to them, you'll rezz much faster to them.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bridget Hammill said:

It does not make sense to drag up a thread that had been dead for more than a year and everyone had forgotten about. The sort of people who do that thrive on the negative attention. Don't be that person. The bit about fairies? That's pure deflection.

In any event, my av maintains my real-life height of 5' 4" so thanks for the warning. It's a real shame too since I prefer 'family friendly" clubs to the ones where all anyone cares about is sex.

People can hide groups so using those as a criterion is pointless. That pic of the child with a pacifier might not even be their av.

My av has never been a child, not in the 20 years I've been in SL, yet I've been kicked from clubs based solely on my avatar's height. Screw that. It's the #1 reason I stopped bothering to find at least one where no one cared about your av height. They don't exist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

😂

Unfortunately, little black dresses are considered semiformal wear, not formal. Formal means coat and tie (sometimes tails) and floor length dresses.

• Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.