Reputation in the Forums

Ags Falconer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Probably, but only in that horrific shade that clashes with everything

I just throw toilets at them, they find it less inherently appealing than free cosmetics. Nobody likes feeling flushed in public.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

We have all kinds here from kind to cruel and funny to serious.  Some skate right on the edge of banning jumping in to every thread with their opinions on the topic and the poster.  Others pick and choose where to reply.  Some want to derail topics and get them closed while others pride themselves on spirited debate or humor.

I feel attacked. 

• Haha 7

5 hours ago, Ags Falconer said:

I'm easing back into SL after a 9 year hiatis. And now I'm pondering my reputation. Naturally, Joan Jett's lyrical commentary (https://youtu.be/2RK9jjOLDHc) on the general topic sprang to mind.
But for me specifically, I'd love to hear your thoughts dear friends. Should I work toward a good reputation? Or a bad one? Or a bit of both?

reputation.png

I would say, just go about your day, be yourself and let it form on it's own.. There is less work involved.. hehehehe

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ags Falconer said:

@Rolig Loon, thank you for the encouragement. I appreciate and value your suggestion!

These forums have been helpful to me (just like I remember from years ago 🙂 )

Um .... however, I am curious. Does anyone know how to actually obtain a "bad reputation"?? Not saying that I want one. But humor me. Say I did?

Hang out with people who claim to be pure n innocent alla time. 95.4512% are lying through their naughty teeth

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I have heard, by the way, that certain reactions do not add to your "positive" count.  (Not sure if "confused" or "laugh" add.)

Confused and Sad do not add a Reputation point.  Thanks, Like, and Laugh do.

4 hours ago, Ags Falconer said:

Does anyone know how to actually obtain a "bad reputation"?? Not saying that I want one. But humor me. Say I did?

As far as Rep points go, there really is not "bad reputation".  You can get reprimands from the Moderators and can get points associated with the reprimands.  Enough warning points and you'll end up with a forum ban and possibly a corresponding inworld ban.  Enough of those types of bans and you can get permanently banned from all of SL (forums and inworld).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

As far as Rep points go, there really is not "bad reputation".  You can get reprimands from the Moderators and can get points associated with the reprimands.  Enough warning points and you'll end up with a forum ban and possibly a corresponding inworld ban.  Enough of those types of bans and you can get permanently banned from all of SL (forums and inworld).

Sounds like a thin line..... Challenge accepted!! 😈😈😈😈😈😈

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

This got me thinking about what effect it would have if people stopped using the reaction buttons for a week.  Could everyone do their part?  Would there actually be an effect?  Perhaps less bum-hurt over scorn-laughs, etc. would change the dynamic a little even?  Would there be more bum-hurt over the inevitable lowering of post/point ratios?  Would people post less due to that?  Of course getting any group of people to do a single thing is impossible and so this is just a thought exercise but somewhat related to the topic.

To the OP, so you think these are good reputations we are gathering here?  Hmmm...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

This got me thinking about what effect it would have if people stopped using the reaction buttons for a week.  Could everyone do their part?  Would there actually be an effect?  Perhaps less bum-hurt over scorn-laughs, etc. would change the dynamic a little even?  Would there be more bum-hurt over the inevitable lowering of post/point ratios?  Would people post less due to that?  Of course getting any group of people to do a single thing is impossible and so this is just a thought exercise but somewhat related to the topic.

To the OP, so you think these are good reputations we are gathering here?  Hmmm...

@Gabriele Graves, more of an honest question. I am a curious monkey and truly don't claim to understand deep and complex matters. 🧐

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

With the mods or other forumites? There is a different pathway for each.

Sometimes the same path leads to both, but the effects tend to be a little different. There's posting with nobody liking or responding to your posts, and then there's simply not being able to post anymore. XD

Me, I just try to be nice. I hope it shows, and that they consider it whenever they're wondering what to do with me.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ags Falconer said:

@Gabriele Graves, more of an honest question. I am a curious monkey and truly don't claim to understand deep and complex matters. 🧐

I intended my response to be read in the voice of Laurence Fishburne from the first Matrix movie where he asks Neo "so you think that is air you are breathing? Hmmm".  I probably should have used a meme image generator.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I really like this idea. It won't happen -- and it really only works if everyone does it -- but I'd be into trying it out.

Reputation points are like cheese in the maze: they are intended to engineer our behaviour here. I'd love to get rid of them.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

He hasn't said anything I can put my finger on, but the OP sounds like an

bcac723c6ad42bb8cc0a6f1ec65cc847.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=7fcfb9552f1d433cf4303b220ed4325534acbb9971aad98f56b8f0fee7163e69&ipo=images

to me.

Fear not, Lindal. The OP is an old forumite, a good friend (here, and in-world), and a lovely person. His bona fides are bona.

When he IMed me to let me know he was back, I all but squealed with delight. He's a keeper.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I really like this idea. It won't happen -- and it really only works if everyone does it -- but I'd be into trying it out.

Reputation points are like cheese in the maze: they are intended to engineer our behaviour here. I'd love to get rid of them.

We should just use emojis instead.

👍  👎💣 🤷  😠. 😳. 🙄. 🤔

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

"Did you hear about the pigeons who found they could alter the behavior of lab technicians simply by refusing corn pellets?" - Lily Tomlin

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I agree mostly with the exception that it would have the unintended side-effect of removing the only participation that some do give and I genuinely feel it would be a shame to take away their voice.  I do enjoy their contribution regardless of what side of the response buttons I end up on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I agree mostly with the exception that it would have the unintended side-effect of removing the only participation that some do give and I genuinely feel it would be a shame to take away their voice.  I do enjoy their contribution regardless of what side of the response buttons I end up on.

This is a really good point.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

We should just use emojis instead.

👍  👎💣 🤷  😠. 😳. 🙄. 🤔

One thing that occurred to me is that the response buttons leave very little scope to respond to them.  Sometimes that is a good thing and can signal that someone has finished with a conversation without having to say so.  I've observed that they generally work quite well in that regard.  If we posted emoji, I'm not sure it would work as well that way.

You'd certainly get a better range though.  The response buttons are a pitiful selection.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.