Reputation in the Forums

Ags Falconer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

We should just use emojis instead.

👍  👎💣 🤷  😠. 😳. 🙄. 🤔

I've actually done this a few times recently. They are more nuanced, and they don't necessitate a full-on engagement of the sort that is either redundant, or might lead to a nasty back-and-forth.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

One thing that occurred to me is that the response buttons leave very little scope to respond to them.  Sometimes that is a good thing and can signal that someone has finished with a conversation without having to say so.  I've observed that they generally work quite well in that regard.  If we posted emoji, I'm not sure it would work as well that way.

You'd certainly get a better range though.  The response buttons are a pitiful selection.

👍

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I shall bear your recommendation in mind, Scylla.

But I'm keepin' my eye on you, Ags!

I'd be the one to watch. If I was likely to backslide, that is. In my time, I was so awful they didn't even allow people to make an Encyclopedia Dramatica page for me, because it would only have encouraged me. Back in the old PHPBB forum days (when it was the cutting edge, lol), I used to just sit and spend all day testing forums and the admin's security settings, and patches, etc., just to see how long it took me to completely wipe their database.

I was also practically unbannable (you could make a million Gmail accounts without a phone number back then). In my spare time, I would cultivate negative reputation points on the few forums that could withstand my presence without collapsing.

What can I say, I had lots of emotional issues, and little emotional maturity to balance it out. I was really stupid in how I went about trying to impress people with my supposed coolness and brains.

I like to think that nobody is beyond redemption. I mean, if I can get better, maybe anyone can. All I had to do was spiral all the way to the bottom of the toilet, and realize what a fool I was for going there with such hubris.

While on the subject of negative rep, I will mention that I'm really super glad there's no negative rep points system here. It just lends itself to assisting the very elements that forums should be trying to eliminate. Give people an official way to be negative, and they will, often completely unwarrantedly, too.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

My first reaction was "why, what". Why do you even care? But we are human, after all, and stuff like this matters even if it shouldn't. Rest assured that most people in-world do not know that this forum is a thing at all.

Just jump back in-world and make yourself noticed in a somewhat sympathetic way. It often/usually works out in a good way for oldbies if you show some experience behind it and just don't behave like a complete you-know-what. It actually does.  :)

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

Rest assured that most people in-world do not know that this forum is a thing at all.

I can vouch for the complete and utter truth of this. For over seven years, every time I mention something inworld about either the forum or the wiki, I get the same response.

"What forum? Wait, there's a wiki?"

Even from longtime residents! I don't understand how this is possible! When I first joined, I spent like my first whole month doing research on the forums and the wiki, wallowing in all this information and knowledge about everything in SL, and I still meet people who don't even know how to use the mini map, how to jump onto rooftops, or that they can come here and learn all kinds of stuff.

It's not as disturbingly boggling to me anymore, but only because I'm so used to it now. People simply do not realize that SL, just like anything else on the internet, has a forum community and a knowledgebase.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I intended my response to be read in the voice of Laurence Fishburne from the first Matrix movie where he asks Neo "so you think that is air you are breathing? Hmmm".  I probably should have used a meme image generator.

Dang, I missed that. Love it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

I'd be the one to watch. If I was likely to backslide, that is. In my time, I was so awful they didn't even allow people to make an Encyclopedia Dramatica page for me, because it would only have encouraged me. Back in the old PHPBB forum days (when it was the cutting edge, lol), I used to just sit and spend all day testing forums and the admin's security settings, and patches, etc., just to see how long it took me to completely wipe their database.

I was also practically unbannable (you could make a million Gmail accounts without a phone number back then). In my spare time, I would cultivate negative reputation points on the few forums that could withstand my presence without collapsing.

What can I say, I had lots of emotional issues, and little emotional maturity to balance it out. I was really stupid in how I went about trying to impress people with my supposed coolness and brains.

I like to think that nobody is beyond redemption. I mean, if I can get better, maybe anyone can. All I had to do was spiral all the way to the bottom of the toilet, and realize what a fool I was for going there with such hubris.

While on the subject of negative rep, I will mention that I'm really super glad there's no negative rep points system here. It just lends itself to assisting the very elements that forums should be trying to eliminate. Give people an official way to be negative, and they will, often completely unwarrantedly, too.

Love the insight,  @PheebyKatz. You have the sound of a Master. If you ever offer classes in Trolling or in the Recovery Steps, please IM me.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Ags Falconer said:

Does anyone know how to actually obtain a "bad reputation"?? Not saying that I want one. But humor me. Say I did?

I've heard rumors that you just speak your mind, make sure you use no filters, late at night with some wine works great, but then you have to be quiet for a few years. Is what I heard anyway.

• Haha 6

Demmit,@Ags Falconer!  I've been on a very good, partial, not-quite flounce from here for many weeks, complete with an adorable flounce gif posted in the Peeves thread (my home turf). As others have mentioned, the new rules have cast a bit of a pallor here. I returned several months ago, just as the rules went into effect. You will find this a changed place, and light-hearted banter can get pulled if not strictly on topic or about SL. (This post IS about SL! honest! SL SL SL SL)  I've retreated to posting a few photos and a few songs... in other words very few word posts. (The world says, "Yay!")

But demmit, in you waltz, all you and bringing a bit of the other back. :) I just had to reply.

As far as reputations... you want "thank you" "hearts" and "laughs" to each and every one of your posts, no matter how benign. Quipping helps, but don't over-do or people start rolling their eyes (which will help your UN-official bad reputation). Un-official bad reps are easy! Here's some tips:

1) Create drama about nothing! (but that's the old rules too, so no news there!)
2) Create drama by being a White Knight, riding in where no one asked for your help, needs your help, and you aren't helping! Be the Champion of Little People Everywhere! Annoy the crap out of everyone, because a) who wants to be classified as a "little people who is too stupid to fend for themselves"? and b) who wants to swat off all of that stuff about every post
?
3) Repeatedly, in various threads, attack one person and demand they remove a photo that is within the guidelines, citing "triggered"
4) Repeatedly, in various threads, attack a few people just because they exist and you feel slighted that they are not "letting you in" (because you correctly assess they can't stand you and are ignoring you)
5) Repeatedly create threads just to get rep points because your rep points are super low compared to your post count because: see above. Bonus un-official bad rep points if those threads you create are aimed at dissing your ex who also is in the forum, and/or are simply rip offs of other threads.
6) In every thread let everyone know you are a sex worker
7) You have to bring politics, and social justice warrior into EVERY thread
8 ) You know the people in #4 that you've been targeting? Adopt the attitude that "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" and insincerely adopt things important to THEM, wave this new alliance about, and expect everyone to embrace it as "real"
9) Make creepy, stalker-y, sexual innuendo comments on photos, mistakenly thinking it is "flirting" (And NO! that's not a reference to a recent post in a photo thread I teased about. That WAS harmless flirting. .... geez, disclaimers, folks!)
10) RAGE quit every two seconds and then come back and whine that no one threw a tickertape parade on your return, again

ETA: Bonus #11... post REALLY long comments about EVERYTHING. Use this post as a template. YW.

:)

Hope that helps.

You've already earned a few un-official bad rep points in MY book by compelling me to type and thus ruining my semi-flounce retirement. :|

Here's a few pro PRO reputation points. These are Super Sekret, so don't tell anyone else...

Post Taylor Swift gifs a LOT, especially to @Jordan Whitt. Double points if you also include a creepy clown to Jordan, too.
calm-down-sleeping.gif.0cf030c76e7c4b284fa7e8b806c5470f.gifyes-no.gif.a515216e7b2ab440f2f7c1cb1497b720.gif

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Oh, right, @Ags Falconer the ditzy human forgot to type about alts... both pro and con for reputation points.

When you have an adorable alt, like Seicher is to ME, well, sometimes EVERYone loves it when you pop into the same thread as both.

Pro tip: @Scylla Rhiadra totally likes being called "Mistress" and if your rub up against her boots (and poop in her shoes). I know this for a FACT.

So when posting in SL forums about in SL, that's another thing to keep in your tool kit.

eta: You know, Seicher's clueless in SL partner didn't realize Seicher is my alt until a few days ago? Read the sig lines folks! (another pro tip)

Edited by Gatogateau
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I just remembered.."Bad Reputation" is to the Forums, as "Ill Repute" is to "houses of 'ill repute'..."

Meanwhile, Popeye says, "Ill repuke!"

And..today is J. Wellington Wimpy day!

* puts on tinfoil hat *

That made me think House of the Rising Sun, in a completely SL related way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.