It's time for Uncle Gopi to make yet another controversial topic. ("IM bait")

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Oh my god. 😂

Edit: I have NO idea which reaction button to click for this post! Caught between the laugh and the sad one, lol.

Oh, the laughter reaction is fine.

He isn't at all evil (well, mostly), and generally uses it to evoke a laugh. He's a very nice man (with an execrable sense of humour).

Which is why we are still very good friends after nearly 12 years.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh, the laughter reaction is fine.

He isn't at all evil (well, mostly), and generally uses it to evoke a laugh. He's a very nice man (with an execrable sense of humour).

Which is why we are still very good friends after nearly 12 years.

Okay whew! That's the way I was leaning and that was my initial assumption. Only someone with a brilliant sense of humor would dare try that shenanigans during a convo! 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

My SL ex has his chat logs not merely preserved, but carefully organized.

It can be more than a little unnerving at times: he has the ability to respond to an opinion I've expressed by noting "But that's not what you said in September 2010." It takes him literally a half minute to quote me back at myself.

🙄

Yeah, I was looking for the Scared reaction but your posts following cleared it up enough for a laugh.  

The only chats I've archived are ones from friends I've had since the beginning.  Through 3 laptops they've moved with me.  I never thought much about it until one of those friends passed away at the beginning of 2021.  I'm grateful that I saved those memories.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 11/4/2022 at 11:32 AM, Amina Sopwith said:

The kicker is, I was really bored and actually a bit lonely, and had no plans. I was just standing in a forest. When he messaged, I knew exactly what he was hoping for (obviously) and if he had put an iota of effort into it, he could have got lucky. All it would have taken was an invitation to wherever he was, so we could actually see each other and a bit of time talking to me so we can attempt to strike up some sort of dynamic. Sorry mate, but if you're not going to put any effort at all into making me feel like I might enjoy this, you're not going to get anywhere. 

I seem to run into this type of guy.

I now try to stay away from those with avatars they have obviously put little effort into.

Conversations... guy's ask what I am up to... usually something, sailing, flying, shopping, trying on demos, making outfits (as much fun as playing with dolls ever was), exploring, doing a photo shoot... then and what about you?, I ask. What are you up to?  Answer: nothing.... Its like wow dude, that's boring.

These guys are usually one's that have made it through the first round getting past my filters. They offered enough intelligent and interesting conversation that we ended up friending. Yet... they have no real SL life... If they said "I am out chasing chics. Are you available?" then There would be lots to talk about. Where are you? Are the girls pretty? Are you striking out? Do you have your pants on? 😆 I need conversation material. Otherwise it is just boring. If all they are doing in SL is me... I've been hanging around with me all day... I am ready for some change.

As to the OP... I am pretty sure females get hit on more often than males. I think in any of the blatant meat markets that is going to be true. But even there I seldom get random IM's. I do note the places where I have more interaction with people, more IMs. I arrange my club land marks by which places have chatty people. Unfortunately... it changes by the day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

I never thought much about it until one of those friends passed away at the beginning of 2021

One of my girls passed away back in February from Covid and on July i saw her avatar log in, probably one of her daughters got her pc. That was creepy.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

They are ON by default.  I find it handy because I chat with a lot of people and often forget who or what we discussed.  It's nice to have a little reminder if/when they message me again.  Memory...it's the first thing to go.

Chat and IM logs

By default, Second Life automatically saves local chat and IM conversations to log files on your hard drive.

Yup.
I do that. Sometimes I'll take a screenshot if a conversation is particularly compelling or too much fun to forget, especially if I want to try on the other person's outfit later (as a demo maybe). :D 

1 hour ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Conversations... guy's ask what I am up to... usually something, sailing, flying, shopping, trying on demos, making outfits (as much fun as playing with dolls ever was), exploring, doing a photo shoot... then and what about you?, I ask. What are you up to?  Answer: nothing.... Its like wow dude, that's boring.

I actually tried to throw the guy a bone. I knew what he was angling for, obviously, and I was in a frame of mind where I could have been persuaded, but, well, he'd need to persuade me. Do something to make me actively want to, as opposed to merely be open to the possibility. A bit of seduction, ffs. I'm sure people still do it.

So I did actually try to engage him in some conversation. He lived in an interesting place and had an interesting job that I would have liked hearing about. But that was all a waste of time to him. He had no interest in conversation when I asked about it, he just wanted to get his end away with no effort. I don't know why he didn't just go and drop some Ls on a professional if he wasn't interested in establishing a dynamic or doing any seduction.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

just wanted to get his end away with no effort. I don't know why he didn't just go and drop some Ls on a professional if he wasn't interested in establishing a dynamic or doing any seduction.

Because this type of people are intellectual and financial cheapskates 😃

Edited by Krystina Ferraris
Autocorrect!!
  • Like 2

On 12/5/2022 at 4:40 PM, Nick0678 said:

One of my girls passed away back in February from Covid and on July i saw her avatar log in, probably one of her daughters got her pc. That was creepy.

Unless she lied about the COVID. But faking one's "death" online is even creepier.

8 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Unless she lied about the COVID. But faking one's "death" online is even creepier.

Nah she's dead, we only dated for a month back in 2019 but remained friends and talked over skype about rl stuff, was 66 married 3 daughters.

Also another ex died from Covid aged 54 last December, it's been a year now and this one lived 15 minutes from my real house. These things happen.

• Sad 1

The other day, while I was offline, a  day-old account sent me a message that simply said "hi". I found no record of their ever having been on the sim I inhabit. I decided to ignore it.

The next day, I got a spammy message from a day-old account asking for money. I answered them as politely as I could, and their response was a duplicate of the same message. I decided to block them.

Yesterday, the first one sent another message, declaring themselves to be my new stalker. I said, "mmhmm", and blocked them.

Now I just have IMs turned off for non-friends/groups. Solves everything. If they can't be bothered to meet me and chat in local, and they're not smart enough to figure out how to use a notecard, or my inworld mailbox, or any of the other ways in which they could contact me if they needed to, that's their problem.

It hasn't affected my business, or my work for my home sim. It's brought me nothing but peace.

So, yeah. It's always an option. Better than wearing a potato avatar in public places, because that just gets you IMs from hungry people, militant vegans, farming enthusiasts, and those who see a potato as an object of erotic desire.

Edited by PheebyKatz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.