It's time for Uncle Gopi to make yet another controversial topic. ("IM bait")

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 548 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Rilee Dallas said:

It's so odd how some post like they are their avatars. 

My avatar is literally just me manifesting in a virtual space. I mean, you'd not argue that we're not ourselves as we post here, would you, or that the voice you hear on the phone with someone isn't actually that person? It's a (selectively) filtered impression of a real person.

Now granted, there are exceptions as mentioned by the poster above me, but it's always a pet topic of mine so I just had to add my two cents.

On 10/22/2022 at 3:44 AM, Gopi Passiflora said:

If you have a woman avatar, you'll get way more IMs from strangers than other kinds of avatars will.

You are correct.

- When i park in a place both my male and female cyborg looking avatars, the female one get's 10 times more IM's.

Also also other interesting facts in regards to Instant Messaging.

- Some people* will talk about anything even with AI bots and even if replies make no sense.

- Some people* will keep texting even if they get a reply "Message not delivered (RLV restricted)".

(*Can't make it gender specific due to lack of sender's real gender info.)

Edited by Nick0678

40 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

- Some people* will talk about anything even with AI bots and even if replies make no sense.

Exactly right! I have argued for hours with bots. Several times, I *knew* I was on the cusp of winning the debate. But of course, in just a golden monkey-- so it shouldn't be too surprising. 🤪

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, archangel969 said:

I am a bit of a hermit, so actually at times I love this silence a male avatar attracts appearantly 😉

Yes it's good that we don't get a ton of IM's from horny dude's , it can be a lil boring after a while

and usually those f*kers will open radar and send the same IM to every female av in the region..

Like WTF dude go watch some pron ffs.. it's free.

27 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

and usually those f*kers will open radar and send the same IM to every female av in the region..

This happens when a friend of mine go to a club together. We will normally dance far away from each other. Whomever gets IM'd first will tell the other what they responded with and type it back to them word for word. They don't seem to notice LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

This happens when a friend of mine go to a club together. We will normally dance far away from each other. Whomever gets IM'd first will tell the other what they responded with and type it back to them word for word. They don't seem to notice LOL.

Or the same person IMs with the exact same message he's used on you several times in the past.  Those always make me.laugh because I copy and past their numerous IMs back and mention finding a new opening line.   Some men never learn,.though and keep getting the same advice.over and over and over...

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Or the same person IMs with the exact same message he's used on you several times in the past.  Those always make me.laugh because I copy and past their numerous IMs back and mention finding a new opening line.   Some men never learn,.though and keep getting the same advice.over and over and over...

Their know they don't have much of a shot, so they just use the shotgun approach. And still probably miss every time, lol.

Protip: Don't anyone take them duck hunting, they'll shoot the bottom out of the boat. Also dangerous for the dogs.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Simps.. Some guy last week was sending messages for 2 days in a row.

Dude read the profile it says. "THIS IS A BOT AVATAR. It WONT REPLY."

[26-11-2022 22:14:18] n******esi Resident : hi:)
[26-11-2022 22:21:22] n******esi Resident : there?
[27-11-2022 23:46:58] n******esi Resident : hello

• Haha 1

On 11/4/2022 at 7:54 AM, Rowan Amore said:

Some men consider slow dancing foreplay and why I stopped engaging in it several years ago.  YMMV but it's been this way for pretty much my entire SL.  This is almost always true if it's a random person asking you to dance.   

But then no one is really dancing or touching. They are pushing buttons on a keyboard. Their real life bodies hardly moving at all in a chair in front of a monitor.  Now if you actually slow dance in real life, yea that's sumpthin! They are not asking you to dance. If you stood up away from your keyboard and started dancing you could not read their text anymore. Maybe if you had a really long cord on your headphones or computer speakers you could keep hearing them on voice, But then are you dancing in real life without any music? 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I always wondered why anybody would turn on the save chat logs stuff. I never have turned it on. I myself have no reason to record or save others text messages. I read it though once. Once is enuff for me lol. 

25 minutes ago, Rilee Dallas said:

But then no one is really dancing or touching. They are pushing buttons on a keyboard. Their real life bodies hardly moving at all in a chair in front of a monitor.  Now if you actually slow dance in real life, yea that's sumpthin! They are not asking you to dance. If you stood up away from your keyboard and started dancing you could not read their text anymore. Maybe if you had a really long cord on your headphones or computer speakers you could keep hearing them on voice, But then are you dancing in real life without any music? 

You obviously never experienced having a nice dance and chat and then he starts emoting that his hands are cupping your breast or he is pressing his member against you thigh.  Ya know, foreplay.  NOT dancing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

You obviously never experienced having a nice dance and chat and then he starts emoting that his hands are cupping your breast or he is pressing his member against you thigh.  Ya know, foreplay.  NOT dancing.

Mhm emoting is funny, my usual reply when girls write similar stuff is something like "just made me some amazing spaghetti.. mmm delicious"  and watch tv

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/4/2022 at 7:43 AM, Rilee Dallas said:

It's so odd how some post like they are their avatars. 

My avatar (at least my main one) is literally just me. Not a separate character at all. It's an image that represents my ideal RL self within SL. Talking to my SL avatar is no different from talking to me in any other online or offline space.  My alts on the other hand, are not quite me, though if you had a conversation with one of them, you'd still hear the same words as you would if you were talking to my RL self. Only the image is different.

12 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

Like WTF dude go watch some pron ffs.. it's free.

Back in 2009 when Indra was brand new (still on Orientation Island or whatever it was called back then), another guy approached her for sex. I taught him how to make an alt and run two viewer windows at once. 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

Mhm emoting is funny, my usual reply when girls write similar stuff is something like "just made me some amazing spaghetti.. mmm delicious"  and watch tv

Whenever someone messages me with some sort of emote, I sorta do the same thing.  Right after I *rolls her eyes*

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

My avatar (at least my main one) is literally just me. Not a separate character at all. It's an image that represents my ideal RL self within SL. Talking to my SL avatar is no different from talking to me in any other online or offline space.  My alts on the other hand, are not quite me, though if you had a conversation with one of them, you'd still hear the same words as you would if you were talking to my RL self. Only the image is different.

That's like me! Except the fangs, tail, and lion ears.

17 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

One of the most common acronyms I used in that "notes on the profile that only you can see" part was NFG, or Normal for Gor. There were several occasions when I found myself in the company of a total blithering pillock, went into the notes to write down the acronym, and found I'd already done it. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rilee Dallas said:

why anybody would turn on the save chat logs stuff

They are ON by default.  I find it handy because I chat with a lot of people and often forget who or what we discussed.  It's nice to have a little reminder if/when they message me again.  Memory...it's the first thing to go.

Chat and IM logs

By default, Second Life automatically saves local chat and IM conversations to log files on your hard drive.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

They are ON by default.  I find it handy because I chat with a lot of people and often forget who or what we discussed.  It's nice to have a little reminder if/when they message me again.  Memory...it's the first thing to go.

I don't keep logs and simply use 2 Contact Sets for those who aren't friends.

One is called 304 and the other 403, colored Yellow and Blue,

next time i see someone i already know based on their radar/tag.color

Screenshot_2022-12-05_19-52-11.png.db6eff694dbbad2ca59d583527f87aa4.png

1 hour ago, Nick0678 said:

I don't keep logs and simply use 2 Contact Sets for those who aren't friends.

One is called 304 and the other 403, colored Yellow and Blue,

next time i see someone i already know based on their radar/tag.color

Screenshot_2022-12-05_19-52-11.png.db6eff694dbbad2ca59d583527f87aa4.png

I don't have sets of people.  I have a handful of people on my friend list.  Everyone else is merely an acquaintance that I might talk to once in awhile when I see them out and about.  I can't be bothered to remember everything I've talked about with random people so a little reminder, to me anyway, is always nice.   I also clear out chats that are logged now and then.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I can't be bothered to remember everything I've talked about with random people so a little reminder, to me anyway, is always nice.   I also clear out chats that are logged now and then.

My SL ex has his chat logs not merely preserved, but carefully organized.

It can be more than a little unnerving at times: he has the ability to respond to an opinion I've expressed by noting "But that's not what you said in September 2010." It takes him literally a half minute to quote me back at myself.

🙄

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It can be more than a little unnerving at times: he has the ability to respond to an opinion I've expressed by noting "But that's not what you said in September 2010." It takes him literally a half minute to quote me back at myself.

🙄

Oh my god. 😂

Edit: I have NO idea which reaction button to click for this post! Caught between the laugh and the sad one, lol.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Added stuffs
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

🙄

My kinda guy!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 548 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.