6 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Having to decide between ingesting aluminum (associated with Alzheimer's) or microplastics and PFAS chemicals (associated with cancer & all sort of other illnesses & found in Teflon and plastics). Good old glass and ceramics are great, but they're heavy and break easily.

Cast iron! Won't break, lasts forever, and is good for you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

💩

11 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I forgot about that little fella. 

I'm tempted to start posting in more emojis and pictures, especially after that confusion over fans vs. fans, as well as the forums anti-obscenity algorithms. 

The next time someone asks for recommendations for a female mesh body with a male genital attachment, I'm going to refer them to Erika as a 🐔with a 🍆 body.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Cast iron! Won't break, lasts forever, and is good for you.

I was going to ask...are cast iron ones the best to get? I really don't like the thought of plastics, I've read so much disturbing stuff about them.

Also, @Marigold Devin I remember my granddad worked at a site where they called in people to secretly remove the asbestos roof panels at night, because it's illegal to move them unless you get an approved firm - but the approved ones charge thousands? :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Persephone Emerald said:

I'm tempted to start posting in more emojis and pictures, especially after that confusion over fans vs. fans, as well as the forums anti-obscenity algorithms. 

The next time someone asks for recommendations for a female mesh body with a male genital attachment, I'm going to refer them to Erika as a 🐔with a 🍆 body.

Me too ... and not in a Weinstein way.

I mentioned before somewhere that I constantly forget to use emojis and then my posts seem harsher than I mean them to be. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I was going to ask...are cast iron ones the best to get? I really don't like the thought of plastics, I've read so much disturbing stuff about them.

Also, @Marigold Devin I remember my granddad worked at a site where they called in people to secretly remove the asbestos roof panels at night, because it's illegal to move them unless you get an approved firm - but the approved ones charge thousands? :(

Please don't tell people how I meme : r/simpsonsshitposting

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

The soil vent downpipe was also asbestos and we had to have that removed because of a hole in it and a plant was growing in it. A kind neighbour sorted it out for us after a couple of asbestos companies wouldn't even touch it with a bargepole! Same neighbour said his parents took their own asbestos garage down and have buried it in their garden. They intend to stay in the house until they die, so it will no doubt become someone else's problem. Definitely illegal to do that though, and although the asbestos removal firms charge a pretty penny, they come looking like they're working with radioactive waste, all suited and booted, so need the danger money. 

Peeve: My brother has plumbing insurance and it has a clause saying they won't deal with asbestos, so that was more money he had to fork out.

Edited by Marigold Devin
The old asbestos down pipe now lives inside the asbestos garage.
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Please don't tell people how I meme : r/simpsonsshitposting

Crikey, I had forgotten about lead, it was in paint and pipework until pretty recently. 

Yet some people never succumb to any of the supposed and proven side-effects. My old headteacher lived to be 105! My other brother died aged 49 because of his own teeth!!

Guess when your number's up your number's up, and we shouldn't really worry too much about what can kill us, because what WILL kill us is hiding behind a tree sn iggering anyway.

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Guess when your number's up your number's up, and we shouldn't really worry too much about what can kill us, because what WILL kill us is hiding behind a tree s*****ing anyway.

Yes, that's what my nan says after she has a cigarette and a gin fizz xD And then comes up with statistics about how many people die in gyms.

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Having to decide between ingesting aluminum (associated with Alzheimer's) or microplastics and PFAS chemicals (associated with cancer & all sort of other illnesses & found in Teflon and plastics). Good old glass and ceramics are great, but they're heavy and break easily.

You can have my cast iron when you pry my dead fingers from it. 😉

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

So Erika has a 🍑 and a 🍌and some 🍈s.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

My whirly popper is still my favorite, but I'm often too lazy and just use the microwave instead.  When I visit my mom, she still always makes popcorn in her whirly popper.

I just use a pot with a lid on the stove and play this:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Popcorn does not even require a reason.  It is always a good choice, any time of day.

Peeve: not being able to eat popcorn because I had a couple of polyps removed during a colonoscopy. Same goes for spicy foods. And suffering through UNSEASONED chicken for a few days.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

11 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Peeve: not being able to eat popcorn because I had a couple of polyps removed during a colonoscopy.

I had some polyps removed also, but they said it was nothing to worry about and didn't say anything about not eating any particular food.  

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I had some polyps removed also, but they said it was nothing to worry about and didn't say anything about not eating any particular food.  

That's interesting how our aftercare instructions differ so wildly. It was my first procedure and they emphasized that I avoid nuts, green roughage, booze, etc. so I don't irritate the scabs in my colon.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

It depends a bit on what you're going to do with it, I use cast iron pans pretty much exclusively (people who complain about stuff sticking just don't know how to season and maintain it!). For pots I prefer copper as it's excellent for even heat distribution (being very conductive) and since it's lined with tin you don't have to worry about getting copper in your food (and unlike tin used for welding or casting tin soldiers, that often contains around 20% lead, pure tin has a very high smelting point, and tin is pretty much harmless as our bodies just can't absorb it in any large amounts). For stews and acidic sauces (such as Bolognese) the best thing you can get is a an enamelled cast iron pot (the acid from tomatoes can burn through the seasoning of a non-enamelled pot and start eating away at the iron, which isn't 'very' bad for your health per se, but it can ruin the flavour). 

A lot of people praise stainless steel pans as a more user-friendly alternative to cast iron, but again, with acidic foods you can start leeching minerals out of it (and there can be a lot of unhealthy metals in the alloys, or as residue from the production process). The whole 'thing' with a cast iron pan is that you create a coating of carbon and polymerised fat that keeps the food from touching the iron, which is also what helps keeping food from sticking.

Polytetrafluorethylene stuff don't get into my kitchen. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1