43 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

US companies use it as a cheap filler in foods that they do not belong in.

I think carrots should be the least of your worries as far as fillers go if you're referring to processed foods though! I find it quite shocking what people may sell as 'food' these days. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

I think carrots should be the least of your worries as far as fillers go if you're referring to processed foods though! I find it quite shocking what people may sell as 'food' these days. 

It's not just processed foods though. 

That's my peeve.

On the other hand, even restaurants are using processed foods more and more. I don't mean fast food like Mickey D's either although they've been doing it for a long time, too.

8 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

On the other hand, even restaurants are using processed foods more and more.

There are a lot of shenanigans in the restaurant industry. Shortcuts and money savers coupled with cooking practices which are anything but healthy - not all restaurants, of course, but it's exceedingly common to cook food in absolutely astonishing amounts of fat (or throw in a bit of sugar); fat is a great flavour carrier, and it's conducive to producing an even and rich browning ('shallow frying') - and if things don't want to brown on their own you can always rub some sugar onto it. Then there's the whole MSG question (although whether it's actually harmful appears a bit dodgy - all things in moderation, and all that). 

Personally I just cook most of my food from scratch, lets me decide what goes into my body and what doesn't. I also don't see why I'd pay for one meal what I can make last for a week or two.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

If you see cellulose in bread ingredients, it's bleached sawdust. You're eating wood leavings from a lumbermill.

P. T. Barnum (the unsung founder of the consumer reporting movement) wrote a very revealing exposure of the food industry in the 1800s, and they were doing stuff like selling milk that was less than 10 percent milk and had the difference made up with water and chalk dust.

Apparently, sawdust in bread has been going on forever, too. Glad I make my own derned bread. A bag of flour and some baking powder costs less than a loaf of fake-o expensive bulldooky "bread" from the store, anyway.

On the bright side, it's neat to see how long humanity has been striving for virtual reality. I guess if they start with artificial foods, eventually we could all evolve into avatars. XD

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

I do not partake of eating in restaurants at all.
Either In SL or RL. 🤭
With the ever increasing number of "groups" whom "adjust" foods to suit their own requirements
NO ONE touches my natural pristine produce/food for any reason. 

I find food in SL bland, and not very filling.

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Usually if I eat in SL it's just to humor someone. Special occasions like birthdays and Xmas, sure, I'll take a piece of cake or whatever and pretend to eat it.

But for my own funtime I don't bother. Finding food and consuming it is just a little too much like RL for me. I'd rather go swimming or ride a bike than sit around and eat a sandwich, anyway.

Might as well drop a little Peeve since I'm here:

When someone else finally takes a turn at washing the dishes, and then I have to wash them all over again anyway, because  they didn't actually clean them, but just left them with dried cheese and stuff on them.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

we were able to change the landline to VOIP and only pay about $10.00 per month for it

VOIP is not a landline. I say this because it operates over the internet, rather than the phone company's copper network. We don't have a landline either, nor VOIP, instead relying on two cell phones and one cellular network.

This is cheap and convenient, but it's not the best policy, especially if there's any emergency that knocks out power. We have backup batteries for the network, the phones, and the router, but once they are depleted, there's no communication. And VOIP would be down, too.

Heck, we couldn't have a traditional landline any more even if we wanted to. During our remodel about 6 years ago, we ripped out a lot of the "useless" phone wiring and jacks.

(And I'll chime in with those who hate the way that cell phones have gotten to where you HAVE to have them at all times to serve not only as a communications device but also as a security dongle. The ubiquitous use of cell phones for that purpose results in the ridiculous situation where you are logging in to a site ON YOUR PHONE and have to be sent a security code TO YOUR PHONE which you then enter ON YOUR PHONE.)

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1

Peeeeve: I needed internet in a far corner of my home for another pc. Didn't want to have a new line installed . So it was suggested I get a second router and use it in bridge mode-so easy to set up, they claimed. They claimed !

After much frustration, it works-but it was the getting there!

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I find food in SL bland, and not very filling.

When I was hosting I used to occasionally serve trays of sandwiches or other appetizers and various beverages.  And popcorn(sometimes to lighten the mood after drama happened).  Sometimes I just /me passed things around, other times I'd actually send wearables that I've collected over the years. Not an original idea really, just a fun thing that I'd experienced and enjoyed recreating.

I think the first time I had a virtual meal was way back when I belonged to a group called the LWL (ladies who lunch) which was formed in response to, well never mind, no need to go into that.  But one day one of the ladies started passing out virtual lunch items to everyone, one at a time, first salads, then forks, then entrees and finally after about a dozen items, someone asked her what she was doing and she replied that if we were going to call ourselves the ladies who lunch then we ought to have lunch, right?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

If you see cellulose in bread ingredients, it's bleached sawdust. You're eating wood leavings from a lumbermill.

That kind of died during the industrial revolution over here. There was a lot of cheating with supplementing flour with chalk and sawdust, and with the increased demand for food when the cities grew it became more common, but because of how important bread was as a staple food, such practices were criminalised - and the punishments were beyond harsh.

In general though, the EU has a lot tougher laws regarding food safety than the US does. And whilst sawdust isn't acutely hazardous to consume (although I wouldn't recommend it), it's not allowed in bread in the EU. We also can't stuff our cows with rBTS or rBGH (lactation stimulant hormones used in the vast majority of US dairy production), or put bromine in sodas (Mountain Dew being an infamous example - it's also sweetened with HFCS in the US, but in Europe it's made with sugar instead). And plenty of food dyes used excessively in the US lead to a lot of American breakfast cereals and candies being banned, or sold with warning labels (although many companies make EU versions with different colourants instead). 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Modulated said:

Peeeeve: I needed internet in a far corner of my home for another pc. Didn't want to have a new line installed . So it was suggested I get a second router and use it in bridge mode-so easy to set up, they claimed. They claimed !

After much frustration, it works-but it was the getting there!

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I am using a "web" ("net"? I forget the right word) of smart home hubs that are also provide wifi. Works great!

This is the "second" generation that I have used.

Cellulose is any plant fiber that is not digestible. Fiber is good.  Fiber pushes stuff through your digestive track.  

"It's a basic building block in plants' cell walls," says Sharon Palmer, RD, author of The Plant Powered Diet. "It comes from various sources, and wood pulp is just one of them." It's totally safe, too: "I'm not aware of any research that points to health risks related to cellulose in foods," says Palmer. (For the record, the FDA, the Center for Science in the Public Interest, and the Environmental Working Group all agree.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

VOIP is not a landline. I say this because it operates over the internet, rather than the phone company's copper network. We don't have a landline either, nor VOIP, instead relying on two cell phones and one cellular network.

This is cheap and convenient, but it's not the best policy, especially if there's any emergency that knocks out power. We have backup batteries for the network, the phones, and the router, but once they are depleted, there's no communication. And VOIP would be down, too.

Heck, we couldn't have a traditional landline any more even if we wanted to. During our remodel about 6 years ago, we ripped out a lot of the "useless" phone wiring and jacks.

(And I'll chime in with those who hate the way that cell phones have gotten to where you HAVE to have them at all times to serve not only as a communications device but also as a security dongle. The ubiquitous use of cell phones for that purpose results in the ridiculous situation where you are logging in to a site ON YOUR PHONE and have to be sent a security code TO YOUR PHONE which you then enter ON YOUR PHONE.)

My Internet, TV and phone come through the good old copper lines of the former biggest phone company in our country.
Fiber glass lines are put in the ground years ago in my street, but they never got to wire the 87 apartments in the building that I live in so far.
For a 1 persons household like mine, Internet speed is sufficient. 100 Mbit/s.
Only alternative is to get the whole shebang through the coax cable from the former TV company. Then my Internet could be twice as fast. But the copper cable guys have the better deal and steadier TV signals.

My peeve: What takes them to rewire the building I live in with fiber glass?

Edited by Sid Nagy

33 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Cellulose is any plant fiber that is not digestible. Fiber is good.  Fiber pushes stuff through your digestive track.  

"It's a basic building block in plants' cell walls," says Sharon Palmer, RD, author of The Plant Powered Diet. "It comes from various sources, and wood pulp is just one of them." It's totally safe, too: "I'm not aware of any research that points to health risks related to cellulose in foods," says Palmer. (For the record, the FDA, the Center for Science in the Public Interest, and the Environmental Working Group all agree.)

Yes when you eat any plant material, salad leaves, tomatoes with skin, fruit etc you also eat cellulose. Cellulose is a form of fibre which is essential for feeding the gut flora in many mammals, including humans. This is because cellulose passes through the DT intact when it reaches the gut, in horses and humans as we don’t make cellulase.
The only issue with too much fibre is that due to it being non water soluble, it can create impaction in the intestine. Horses can get this too, it’s called impaction colic. Humans can get this issue too on high fibre diets when they don’t drink enough water. So if you eat a lot of fibre ensure your water intake is on the higher side of your daily allowance.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

Yes when you eat any plant material, salad leaves, tomatoes with skin, fruit etc you also eat cellulose. Cellulose is a form of fibre which is essential for feeding the gut flora in many mammals, including humans. This is because cellulose passes through the DT intact when it reaches the gut, in horses and humans as we don’t make cellulase.
The only issue with too much fibre is that due to it being non water soluble, it can create impaction in the intestine. Horses can get this too, it’s called impaction colic. Humans can get this issue too on high fibre diets when they don’t drink enough water. So if you eat a lot of fibre ensure your water intake is on the higher side of your daily allowance.

Omg, I hate when they get colic.. A horse will just give up and die if you don't get to them in time.. I've had to walk my fair share  all night long until they finally would stay up after they passed it on.. You can't take a break either or they will lay right back down the second you stop walking.. The longest farts I ever heard too..lol

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Anyone eating white bread should switch over to whole wheat or whole grain anyways.. White bread is just terrible for you. It may be cheaper dollar wise, but it's more expensive time wise ,which has more value than the dollar I think.:)

I can't even remember the last time I had white bread.  I do remember those Wonderbread PBandJ's though.  At least whole grain bread doesn't stick to the roof of your mouth quite as bad.  😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

VOIP is not a landline. I say this because it operates over the internet, rather than the phone company's copper network.

Yes, I know this.  Inhouse however, we still refer to it as our landline.  Technically it is the "home line".

Primarily it gives me a number to associate with 'household stuff' rather than putting either my cell phone or my husband's cell phone as the primary contact for household stuff.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Fiber pushes stuff through your digestive track.  

Well, that depends on whether you listen to medical scientists, or to the 'studies' conducted by the food industry that wants to sell you 'healthy' foods so that they don't have to pretend as if their cereal doesn't taste like cardboard.

Personally, when it comes to health and diet advise, I think I'll listen to the clinical dietitians and physicians rather than the likes of Tony the Tiger; it's just too bad the (US)FDA will accept anything as gospel if it lines the pockets of a select few folks. I've been on a low-fibre/low-carb diet for about half a year now, and .. It'd be a long, probably TMI list to write, to cover all the benefits I've experienced - less like running a petrol engine on nitro-glycerine and more like clockwork, is all I'll say. 

It's an extremely slow, uphill battle to change the medical consensus though, and with the vast majority of physicians and dietitians out there just swallowing the information they're been crammed with in medical schools around the globe (with little option, of course - you're cramming much too much to ask questions!); with everyone knowing that 'you need fibre' and 'you need fruits and veggies' and 'cholesterol is the devil' (which has a frankly hilarious origin) and 'you'll get scurvy if you don't eat lemons', and that, coupled with how we've got a nearly religious aversion to being proven wrong, means that human health becomes a secondary issue when it could be harmful to people's prestige and reputation to admit that they've practiced something faulty throughout their careers; we're just playing the Sammelweis story on repeat, to the point I'm unsure of whether one ought to laugh or cry.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435786/

Aside from the obvious implications on the subject matter itself, it briefly mentions in the introduction how the media plays its part. Making flashy headlines is profitable, telling the truth is optional. I find it interesting how some of the largest evening periodicals we've got around here have been selling the exact same 'lose x kilos in y days with this new wonder diet' frontpage formula on a weekly basis for as long as I can remember (and presumably since long before I was around) - but yet, they're around, they keep selling, people try and fail in perpetuity because it's profitable for someone that they're stuck being insecure or outright unhappy with their own bodies - and boy, what a market to be exploiting with how the general health trend is going in the world.

Peeve: I got distracted and may have briefly lost the plot - I blame the cat.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Anyone eating white bread should switch over to whole wheat or whole grain anyways..

All my life I believed that white bread was bad and whole grains were so much better for you.  Then I learned that I have oxalate nephropathy and that for me, white bread is better for me than whole grains because the oxalate content is lower.  My condition is rare but I'm not the only one so your  blanket statement above is erroneous.  Not everyone, just most people, might find whole grains are better for them.

• Like 1