8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm sure this is often the case. In my household, though, I do all the dishes all the time because my partner does such a terrible job that I end up rewashing half of them anyway. ("Have you considered using soap when washing these?") In fact, when I see him washing up, I'll usually hurriedly jump in and offer to take over.

In fairness, I have to say he does most of the cooking. He's a vastly better cook than I am!

That's how we divided the cooking/cleaning up chores from the start.  He cooks ALL the meals and has since almost the beginning.  We TRIED switching back and forth but for some reason, the dishes from the night before when I cooked would still be there when it was my turn to do dishes.  He was always an early to bed person so he'd fall asleep before doing the dishes.  Finally, I just said, fine!  YOU do all the cooking and I'll clean up.

Oh, and he never once has left the seat up cause he's an adult, too.   It just seems childish to say I'm not putting it down because....reason....when both sexes us it down but both don't use it up.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I don't live with my partner, and yet I spend about half an hour to an hour every day cooking dinner, clean all the pots and pans and knives I used (before I sit down to eat, even - hate it when you've finished a meal and want to retire only to have a heap of chores to do!), and clean my dishes afterwards. If you're going to wash one dish you might as well do another one or three - washing plates, utensils, and glasses take seconds (unless of course they've been left standing around so things have dried up, in which case you just soak them and then wash them easily again). And I never leave the toilet seat up, as the only times I raise it in the first place is when cleaning the toilet, which the maid does regularly anyway so it's seldom necessary for me to do it as well.

.. Maybe I'm one of those women who pretend to be a man in SL!?

The difference is you two do not live together so unless you want to live in a pig sty you have to do all the cleaning that gets done.

I've been in a grand total of 4 long term relationships and only ONE of those men ever cleaned up after themselves without me having to say anything (I'm not a nag). That one kept his place so neat and clean that ever since I've wanted the others to live up to that standard. So far none of them have. Although I do give credit to the current one for at least finally admitting he needs to do his fair share. It only took about 20 years. 😬

So, to answer your question, you might be because I always leave that tiny bit of room for doubt, however, all evidence I've seen points to the opposite. You are one of those "rare" males whose mother taught them the skills they needed to survive without having to depend on a woman to do it all for them. Respect for you and your mom.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: I had a housemate who let dishes "sit" longer than I liked.

Now that I got rid of my "dishwasher", I am a little more understanding - I rinse dishes and wash them in "batches".  However, the concept of letting something "soak" is still foreign to me..

Most of the time washing pots, pans and dishes right away is preferable, imo, because dried food is harder to get off and a sink full of wet or soaking dishes breeds bacteria. There are times though, when one has to rush off, they're too tired to do dishes, or food on cooking containers has to soak before it can all be scrubbed off. Roasting pans are the worst.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

You are one of those "rare" males whose mother taught them the skills they needed to survive without having to depend on a woman to do it all for them. Respect for you and your mom.

Maybe Orwar's father taught him to cook and clean for himself?

• Like 2

Just now, Persephone Emerald said:

Maybe Orwar's father taught him to cook and clean for himself?

That's even rarer than moms teaching their sons to do household tasks including sewing. Most men I know can't (or won't) sew a button back on.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Oh, and he never once has left the seat up cause he's an adult, too.   It just seems childish to say I'm not putting it down because....reason....when both sexes us it down but both don't use it up.

Peeve: My reason to not leave the seat up:  Dogs. I'd prefer doggy kisses if they are not drinking from the toilet.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I live alone. So dishes, cooking, house cleaning, sewing a button back on, laundry washing, folding and ironing, they are daily\weekly jobs.
No big deal really.

I can't afford a house elf. 🙃

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

So, to answer your question, you might be because I always leave that tiny bit of room for doubt, however, all evidence I've seen points to the opposite. You are one of those "rare" males whose mother taught them the skills they needed to survive without having to depend on a woman to do it all for them. Respect for you and your mom.

Nah, my mother is the type who'll scream at you for doing it wrong, do it herself, and then call you a moron and a lazy sod for making her do it.

I was taught to cook and clean by my father. He could be a bit of a bastard himself, but at least he was a somewhat pedagogic bastard. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

That's even rarer than moms teaching their sons to do household tasks including sewing. Most men I know can't (or won't) sew a button back on.

I have trouble sewing a button back. I can mend small tears and hems, but it doesn't always look great. My Mom taught me next to nothing about cooking, house-keeping or how to take care of myself as an adult. My Dad taught me how to hit a baseball, ride a bike, drive a car, and balance a checkbook. Girl Scouts taught me to cook, sew a little, and first aid. My Mom taught me to have a sense of humor, how to recognize a narcissist, and to hide my emotions from people who could hurt me.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Mom taught me to have a sense of humor, how to recognize a narcissist, and to hide my emotions from people who could hurt me.

Very much the same experience here!

• Like 3

Just now, Persephone Emerald said:

I have trouble sewing a button back. I can mend small tears and hems, but it doesn't always look great. My Mom taught me next to nothing about cooking, house-keeping or how to take care of myself as an adult. My Dad taught me how to hit a baseball, ride a bike, drive a car, and balance a checkbook. Girl Scouts taught me to cook, sew a little, and first aid. My Mom taught me to have a sense of humor, how to recognize a narcissist, and to hide my emotions from people who could hurt me.

I grew up a latch key kid as both my parents worked full time jobs and then some. My siblings and I learned to do a lot for ourselves and it's stuck.  Self reliance with the basics is just good to have , no matter .  Their only rule: don't hurt yourself or anyone and don't burn the f*cking house down. lol

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

My Mom taught me to have a sense of humor, how to recognize a narcissist, and to hide my emotions from people who could hurt me.

Wait..my mom was a narcissist, and ebil.

Oh..I get it! 

*HUG*

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Modulated said:

I grew up a latch key kid as both my parents worked full time jobs and then some. My siblings and I learned to do a lot for ourselves and it's stuck.  Self reliance with the basics is just good to have , no matter .  Their only rule: don't hurt yourself or anyone and don't burn the f*cking house down. lol

Instructions unclear.

giphy.gif

I'm too clumsy for cooking in general. Experiment with recipes? Yes. Doing it while not setting the entire kitchen on fire - no.

Also a former latch key kid and massive rejecter of gender roles. Learned all the fun stuff (sewing, food prep, cooking, etc. etc.) from watching boyfriends, room mates, and eventually Gordon Ramsay. 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:
13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Wait..my mom was a narcissist, and ebil.

Oh..I get it! 

*HUG*

Not evil. Just broken and not a good parent.

Peeve: While my own birth-mother was indeed evil (in ways most people would agree with), I still feel for you even if yours was not!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Instructions unclear.

giphy.gif

I'm too clumsy for cooking in general. Experiment with recipes? Yes. Doing it while not setting the entire kitchen on fire - no.

Also a former latch key kid and massive rejecter of gender roles. Learned all the fun stuff (sewing, food prep, cooking, etc. etc.) from watching boyfriends, room mates, and eventually Gordon Ramsay. 😂

Oh there were many many mishaps, but technically the rules were abided, that house never burned down. haha

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Orwar said:

Nah, my mother is the type who'll scream at you for doing it wrong, do it herself, and then call you a moron and a lazy sod for making her do it.

I was taught to cook and clean by my father. He could be a bit of a bastard himself, but at least he was a somewhat pedagogic bastard. 

Respect to you and your dad then. 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I never said they had to be good at sewing. Just stop asking me to do it for them when they are perfectly capable. 

Everyone learns different things from different people. Not sure why you are implying I was claiming they don't.

Peeve: The rabbit holes people try to drag me down when they have nothing to do with what I posted. 

WnY1nJ.gif

• Confused 2

Chores at night?  Eff that for several reasons. 

I am a morning person.  I wake at 4:30am everyday whether I want to or not.  I jump out of bed filled with energy and ready to attack my day.

I regularly work 12 hour days, have a loooong commute to get to work, and sometimes still hit the gym on the way home.

In the evening, I'm lucky to microwave a can of soup or eat a bowl of cereal and milk over the sink before physically crashing (sometimes with my shoes still on.)

Those dishes will be there tomorrow AND the next day.  I cook on the weekends, though, and clean as I go, so there is never a big mess.

Peeve: There are a lot of right ways to live, but we each think our own is the only right way.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

There are a lot of right ways to live, but we each think our own is the only right way.

What about your lack of fresh veggies though?  lol

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

What about your lack of fresh veggies though?  lol

My diet leaves a lot to be desired.  I should add more fresh food in.  I do eat raw veggies and hummus a lot and cook full roasts on weekends. 

Peeve: Eating healthy is expensive and takes time to prepare fairly often or it spoils.  I don't have time to go to the grocery several times a week.  Canned food lasts forever on the shelf.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Midnoot said:

I will put it up every time I use it and I have no problem with that . You shouldn't have a problem putting it down every time you use it . There shall be no preparations for the next user. >:c

The toilet seat and lid should both always be down.  Otherwise, it just looks tacky.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Peeve: Eating healthy is expensive and takes time to prepare fairly often or it spoils.

I do get peeved when people claim that 'eating healthy is expensive'. It really isn't. It is in fact a whole lot cheaper than the super-processed, pre-digested food-substitutes that a lot of people eat (>60% of the US' caloric intake, you guys are fricking scary sometimes). But hey, who cares about a few strokes or a bit of type-2 diabetes when there's pop-tarts and convenience

• Haha 1